iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bears causing trouble.

Started by Dave Shepard, March 27, 2013, 09:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

We've got a bear in town causing some trouble. Apparently he likes to stop in here and there for a little uninvited chicken snacking in the night. :D I've only seen bears a total of four times now, most were moving fast, but not this one. I saw him cross the road last night so I stopped to see if I could get a pic. He (she? it was big) was just strolling along parallel to the side of the road about 30 feet into the woods. I tried to get his attention by shouting at him, but I just got a quick glance over the shoulder and he kept plodding along really slow, dreaming of chickens, no doubt.

I was about 40 feet away (from the bear, about 2 feet from my truck  :D ) when I took this shot.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

With just about any wild animal,shouting should get thier attention to run away from you.Looks to me he is use to people and chickens.  :D  I only saw one bear and he was running across the road at a good pace.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

We have lots of bear in our area, so here's my two cents. That bear seems like an example of "A fed bear is a dead bear". Bears normally don't hang around when folks are shouting from a car at them. IMO, this one is used to humans (feeding), or is injured/sick. That's a male (boar). Any female that size would have cubs with her this time of the year.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SwampDonkey

Dave, you will probably need to deal with that bear. He is too friendly to humans. Gonna be trouble. Might need to have DNR relocate him if not taken care off before hand.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

He needs to be turned into stew meat and sausage.

thecfarm

Is there such a thing as a bear roast???  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Nomad

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 28, 2013, 05:17:00 AM
Dave, you will probably need to deal with that bear. He is too friendly to humans. Gonna be trouble. Might need to have DNR relocate him if not taken care off before hand.
X2.  That bear is gonna be a problem one day.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

red oaks lumber

once there is natural food to eat he'll be gone. every year we see 15-25 bear near or around the farm, by june  nothing. if a bear has never been frightened (shot at) by a human, just yelling at them only gets a look.
its the cute little coyote or wolf (pack) that does the real grocery shopping! :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Jeff

Just let him know that I'm coming to investigate. He'll disappear for sure. It works here. Every time I get a bear license, the bears on our property blow town.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

My sister saw tracks in the snow on the hill behind our house today. The bears have always been here, but never caused too much trouble, mostly rolling big circles in the corn fields. I didn't think bears bothered animals too much, but I guess if that was all that was available.

My sister posted that pic to her facebook account and a family friend down in MO suggested rubbing his belly and seeing if he would roll over and go to sleep. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

They don't bother cattle and horses so much. But when there was a lot of sheep farms around here, they were a big problem. They had a bounty on the bears to a point that you'd hardly ever see one. Now they are rather thick again with all these huge grain fields. They are just as happy eating oats all day and corn all night and supplement with a calf moose and the back yarn garbage bin. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rooster 58

Cfarm, bear roast is awesome ;) A little stringy, but very good flavor, although I hear that bears that are eating alot of fish aren't so good to eat :-\

red oaks lumber

alittle while ago a sow and 4 cubs were playing not to far from my house. you could have put all 4 cubs in a 5 gal. pail. looked like she was teaching them to climb trees, they were talking back and forth. my son took video with his camera, we were standing maybe 50 yrds. from her, she knew we were there but wasnt real upset. gotta love nature!!!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!