iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Today I cut a nice little hemlock log into a couple of 4x6's and a 2/4 to get it out of the way so I could roll up a nice 8' long red oak log to make a couple of mantles for a couple of customers.

I had a customer call me who wanted some 4x6's to make some timber frame saw horses. Now I have some stock for him to practice on.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

longtime lurker

Hop out of my dogbox at the end of the week for another Saturday stint with the Lucas Mill. This slabbing stuff keeps up I'm going to have to invest in a bandmill of some sort... I dont mind the exercise but I am sick to death of sharpening chainsaw chains already.

Little ones at least - not hernia inducing monsters. More Queensland Maple: hard not to like it it's always got that glow to it.

Hernia inducing monster is supposed to be next weekend, when I've got a crew booked in to handle it. Been sitting over the side of the yard barked and losing moisture for 4 months now so it could drop a bit of weight... it's "paddock maple" that being Qld maple thats grown in a shelter belt or field so it hasnt had to go up to chase the light in the forest. Dad's standing behind it for scale. Takes a bit to make old Bessie the log loader light in the back end but this one did it.

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Mossy Chariot

Worked on some white oak slabs today. 

Boxed the pith on one end well but missed it slightly one the other so messed up two slabs instead of just one. Learning every day!!
Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

Crossroads

made a trip to Spokane this morning and cut some 2" slabs and one 6" slab out of the center of this blued pine log. The plan is for the 6" slab to be sent to the customers brother in Wisconsin.

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Mossy Chariot

Still learning to post pics.

Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

E-Tex

Mossey C....... Nice looking stack of Slabs! smiley_thumbsup
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

flatrock58

Cutting some yard pine. Should have known.
Why do you always find the nails when you put on a brand new blade?  First time hitting the head of a cement nail. It breaks off 8-10 teeth.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

quadracutter222

Some balsam fir boomsticks for the woodshed project.  4x6x12 and 2x4x12

Fir 1x8 and 1x3 in 8 and 10 foot lengths for a board and batten repair.  My first paying customer!  The son of the man we purchased the mill from, so had LOTS to share and was patient and helpful ;)

2nd and 3rd log up

Flare of an 8 footer

Flitches for battens

Board and Batten combo

Opening up

Sawing thru

Some finished read to go out

All loaded up.

7 hours and 256 board feet.  I think there was a bit too much yak yak when the saw was running!

Farm29

Cut a little more walnut short slabs and some white oak for some raised garden beds.  Not sure what value the slabs will have because of there size but we will see !

96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Magicman

Quote from: quadracutter222 on March 10, 2019, 11:19:10 PMI think there was a bit too much yak yak when the saw was running!
But it sounded like a sawing/learning gig.  No time is ever wasted when sawing.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stephen1

Quote from: Magicman on March 11, 2019, 08:37:49 AM
Quote from: quadracutter222 on March 10, 2019, 11:19:10 PMI think there was a bit too much yak yak when the saw was running!
But it sounded like a sawing/learning gig.  No time is ever wasted when sawing.   ;D
You mean we are not suposed to be yak yak when we are at the mill. What will I tell all the people that drop by?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

Bout the only time when yacking is not allowed with me is when I am sawing for a customer and someone sees the sawmill and stops.  I will pause long enough to give them a business card, tell them to watch and give me a call, and then continue sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Deese

Post Oak trailer decking and cedar over the weekend. 

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

Peter Drouin

Deese why is there a 2lb hammer in the board drag back?
Is it to stop the bounce of the arm?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Farm29

Picked up some 5-6 foot walnut and cherry logs and a pretty decent honey locust log from a tree trimming service close by finish the load off with a little oak for fire wood I thought I did alright for $50 

Nothing special but the price was right should be some good stuff to play and learn on 
96 lt40 Hyd 24 hp onan
460 rancher

Deese

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 11, 2019, 08:06:56 PM
Deese why is there a 2lb hammer in the board drag back?
Is it to stop the bounce of the arm?
I thought they all came from the factory like that....
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

Sawing as we speak. I keep it there so it's within arm's reach when I need it to keep my tailgunners in line. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Banjo picker

Delivering this load tomorrow.

Every thing on the back is pine 2x8s 6x10s and a couple of 2x10s.  The 2x8s are cut to length.  The two bundles on the front are mixed hardwood.  Oak, poplar and cotton wood.  Cottonwood smells like a hog pen. :o   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Kwill

Deese how does the post oak work out for trailer decking? I got alot of it here on the farm and need to redo my 16 ft trailer. Was gonna use cedar but im thinking it would be a little soft.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Deese

Kwill please don't use cedar for decking. Not sure where you are located but if you have post oak, use it. Post oak is in the White Oak family and is much stronger and almost as good as it gets. 
Cooks AE4P Edger

Deese

I don't have a resaw. It's 10:30pm here and I just figured out my own redneck resawing method. It's super simple and I'm sure many people have done this but I've tried everything under the sun with poor results until I just tried this. Much faster than using clamps and such. I had about twenty 2x8x12 post oak boards that were culled from a recent decking order because of cracks on one end. Got a customer who has a small 5x8 trailer and needs 1.5" thick decking. It's really not that labor intensive and actually works. 

Cooks AE4P Edger

Kwill

Quote from: Deese on March 11, 2019, 11:25:49 PM
Kwill please don't use cedar for decking. Not sure where you are located but if you have post oak, use it. Post oak is in the White Oak family and is much stronger and almost as good as it gets.
Im in missouri. I have red oak white oak and post oak. Lots of cedar. I used cedar for the side boards.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Magicman

Kwill, Post Oak is probably the best available species that you could use.  It certainly is my "go to".

Deese, that is a "heavy" solution.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!