iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mixing Oil Manufacturers

Started by Woodhog, April 26, 2004, 04:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

I recently bought a case of Husky mixing oil, it was made in
Quebec Canada in a small town, thats what the bottom of the label said.
I recently bought a Husky bush saw and the dealer gave me
a free bottle of mixing oil.
It had a completely different company name on it but I noticed
down on the bottom of the label it was made in the same
place by the same company as the Husky oil.

Does this mean that a few companies are making most of the
oil and just putting the different saw/equipment companies names on it and all of the oil is the same???

Ianab

I think you are basically correct. The saw makers dont manufacture Oil, they just contract an oil company to supply oil made to their specs. The Stihl oil we buy here in NZ is made in NZ by Castrol (says so in the fine print), and comes in the same bottle as Castrol Oil. Just the Stihl stuff has Red dye and the Castrol stuff has green dye. I'm pretty sure it came out of the same tank at the factory. Buying the manufacturers oil is still a good thing as you know it's good quality stuff, but it's probably the same as a lot of other brands.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

oldsaw-addict

you are pretty  much right on the money there, the maufacurers all pretty much use the same company to produce the oil, they just put a different color dye in it and a different label on the bottle. Makes sense right? save $$$ on one thing to put the save money into other projects,  like R&D work and safety issues that need to be fixed/taken care of. you are correct though, the major companies almost all buy from one oil producer and put a different color dye in it and a different label on the bottle thats all. I'm probably somewhat incorrect so dont take my word as you would the word of god.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Lem

Yup, same as the private label motor oils.Sears for many years was Exon Uni flow-might still be.Many Auto Parts stores have their own brand,and it's just bottled for them by their biggest supplier-sells for 25-30% less- no advertising to recoop ..Know Valvoline is big in our area .
  All makes sense,it's a costly procedure to qualify a motor oil,and that's true w/ Jap rated 2cycle oil too...witness the number of name brands out there that do NOT have JASO/T903 qualification on the label :o
 Lem

Blue9R

Stihl 2 cycle mix oil is blended/packaged by Omni Industries of Shreveport, LA.  Omni is blending the oil per Stihl's formula and uses an additive package supplied by Lubrizol.

The current Echo 2 cycle oil is a Citgo formulation and is blended & packaged by a Citgo division.

Shindaiwa oil is a Chevron product.

-That's all I have on oil sources for common brands of 2 cycle chainsaws.

SasquatchMan

Stihl is Castrol in Canada too.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Preston

I look at this way it all comes out of the same pipe and the same tank! Just like our gasoline! Thats my opion! I always back mine up with ER Energy Release
Preston

Stan

You are closer to correct than you know Preston. My Dad worked in a gasoline transhipment yard. A train came in and filled the tanks. When a truck came for filling, they would add the proper identifying dye and fill the truck.  ;)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Hardball

So my new Stihl won't barf if I use my Husky oil or bar lube on it?

firtol88

It will work just fine, what did ya get?
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

Hardball

Got the Stihl MS 280.  Though not the most powerful, it should work fine for what I'm doing, and it seems to have pretty good power for its weight.

I really wanted to buy from a local dealer, and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

oldsaw-addict

Glad to hear you got a good saw. now if you want more power, just open up the muffler.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

SwampDonkey

Yup you'll definately be taking the screw driver to remove the screen from the muffler once it carb's up. ;D Keep the air filter clean too :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Preston

Make sure you turn the high side down a bit after porting the muffler! We run husky or stihl no dif.!
Preston

incognitive

Are you saying to tune the high side leaner after opening the muffler?  That would usually be the opposite requirement.

Preston

Yeah  :D thats what I meant was tired that night!
Preston

woodsie

wolfshead oil is made by penzoil and penzoil is made by hays oil, yay!
it's good to run once in a while, you never know when you'll need to for real...

Thank You Sponsors!