Previous topic - Next topic

MCM

Anyone have a source for parts, I've been watching ebay,
nothng yet.

I'm looking for a "trigger unit" part# 1114-400-1000
and a few more later on. This is an obsolete part, so
my dealer hasn't had any luck.

Al_Smith

About the only two I can think of would be Bryce Stott in Washington state or Curt Bailey in North Carolina . Both sell on E-Bay .

Now by trigger unit I assume that is the solid state device that fires the coil ? If that be the case an "atom arc" unit might work .

I'm only guessing but most trigger devices just work on detecting the max rise on the sinisoidal voltage wave generated by the coil and fire when the wave reaches max voltage .

MCM

I emailed Curt Bailey, I haven't heard back yet.
Do you know Bryce Stott's ebay username?

I searched "atom arc" and came up with
military applications uses.

thanks for the suggestions.

sablatnic

You could try this link. http://tewarehouse.com/7-01750  Or this  http://www.smallengines.cc/catalog/briggs/ignitionparts/   Or you could try the NOVA  http://www.cmsmallengines.net/rotary-c27/replacement-ignition-parts-.html      I have used the Atom on some Dolmar 112 with good results.

MCM

Thanks, this looks like an option at a great price.

and you said it worked well?

Al_Smith

Quote from: MCM on July 26, 2009, 07:56:49 AM
I emailed Curt Bailey, I haven't heard back yet.
Do you know Bryce Stott's ebay username?

He used to sell under the name "Cheap Stihl parts " but I guess the almighty omnipotent Stihl corp got a little snippy about that .Most likely because some Stihl dealer whined and moaned about it .I think it's just cheap chainsaw part now for a seller name .

It's Marysville Washington or something like that .

If you can make contact with Robert Andrews AKA Rotax Roberts ,I think he knows him personally .

Oh for that matter there could be any number of folks that might have a part or 50 laying around .Maybe Dan Henry in McCluer Pa .He has 4 buildings full of parts . I'm sure there is one waiting patiently on a shelf waiting some place to resurect an old saw . ;D

Al_Smith

Oh say ,I just thought of another remedy that might work .

Mc Bob in Australia who is a Mac affectionado uses a trigger unit from some type weedwacker to trigger his 101 Macs and 125's .Says it works just dandy .

I personally prefer the points myself but whatever floats your boat is fine with me .

sablatnic

It did work on the Dolmars. It didn't work on a Jonsereds SP49 though. Works fine on Briggs & Stratton engines too. Btw. I have a Stihl 015 with bad points. It might work on that as well. :-)

joe_indi

Quote from: MCM on July 26, 2009, 06:57:46 AM

This is an obsolete part, so
my dealer hasn't had any luck.
That cannot be true, because this parts still shows on the current parts list.

jOE

Al_Smith

All Stihl dealers are not the same . :D

MCM

My dealer gave me the number and printed the
parts diagram, but when he tried to get it, it's
not available, but the number still show's.

If you now of a Stihl dealer with better access
please let me know....

Al_Smith

Oh I wasn't throwing stones at your dealer .It's just some kind of go outside the realm of the mighty Stihl corp for parts .

My favorite dealer doesn't care if he orders it from Stihl or Stens .All are not like that and would rather sell saws and leaf blowers than parts for old antiques .

You hang in there long enough somebody will have the part you need .

Al_Smith

Aha,found it . Part number 1114-400-1000 was supercedeed by part number 1114 007 1012 effective 2002 according to my parts book .

Now then,this site lists that number under Stihl 015 I believe .http://stihl-parts-online.shopping.officelive.com/IgnitionSystem.aspx

GASoline71

Bryce had to change his ebay user name to "cheapchainsawparts" or "cheapsawparts"... The friend ly fellas at the Stihl legal dept made him change it from "cheapstihlsawparts".

Bryce is a great dude, with literally "TONS" of saw stuff... he is also a very. very busy cat... so don't expect a quick reply to many questions.  But he ships stuff pretty quick.  :)

He is about an hour from where I live...

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

MCM

Al, I didn't take it as throwing stones at my dealer, I was hoping you
had a lead.  ;D

I'm not sure if the west coast vs the east coast could make a
difference.

My dealer is wouldn't care if I bought it else where, He
doesn't have it available to him.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

MCM

Thanks for the number cross, I'm going to give that a try......

MCM

Bad news, that new number comes up
"no longer available"

the search continues.....

Al_Smith

Well,isn't that enough to make a preacher cuss? Try this one then .http://www.northwoodsaw.com/ignition.htm

MCM

Thanks Al,
I haven't had a response from them, I called and emailed.
That shows for a 076 which is a little different,  not sure
it will work for the 075.

Bob_Emerson

MCM, I have been following your exchange with Al_Smith.  Did you ever find out whether the VEC UV-1 ignition module will work on the Stihl 075 AV?   As you say, the 076, which is specifed by VEC, may be different from the 075.  I have an 075 AV from 1982, and it has the same problem as yours.

I have seen on the web somewhere that the external ignition triggers, such as the "Atom", or the Nova II, may not work as well as the original scheme for an 031.  The 075 AV uses a sense coil on the trigger plate (inside the flywheel) that sets the timing as the magnet comes by.  Without this input, it seems as though you would want to adjust the timing manually to optimize the ignition time.  Do you know whether any of these external units have such an adjustment?

I am new to this forum, and don't know how to cc Al_Smith.  Any help would be appreciated.

By the way, if you want more info on VEC, they can be found at www.vecignitions.com

Bob E.

Al_Smith

Without delving into the electron whys' and where fors' a trigger unit basically senses when the vlotage generated in the actual coil reaches it's maximun then on a negative transition fires the main coil .Thusly replacing the points in the system .

This model of Stihl was not the only one to use this device as I believe the 281 Huskie to name one also had a trigger unit . I've got a few Stihls in various states of disrepair in my shed  .When I get a chance I'll take a peek as I think one or two might have trigger devices on them .

Since this thread was posted I've had a problem with a Mac 125 that had been retrofitted with an "Atom arc " .The thing worked fine until one of the lead wires broke and I just took it back to the points system .

Rambling on though I would think just about any trigger device which could be mounted in the space provided would work .

You really should check out Mc Bob in Australia as he listed whatever trigger unit he uses on those Macs and I don't think it costs that much . I'd post a link but I'm not sure how fussy this site is about that stuff so maybe a Google search could put you on that site . ;)

Thank You Sponsors!