iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Options

Started by Berkshire, January 19, 2010, 12:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkshire

I have the chance to purchase a '91 Woodmizer LT40HDG24 with very low hours (less than 500) on it for $11,000. It is also coming with a Woodmizer blade sharpener of the same era that was only used to sharpen only 3 blades. Not sure of the value of this sharpener? The mill is in very good shape and nothing is broken. I've been lucky enough to have put most of the hours that are on this mill myself.

The question I have is since this mill is almost 20 years old and I know there is some newer and better technology out there, is it worth buying this mill and adding some options to it if they are available. Or do I pass on this mill and pay more money for something newer with the newer technologies? So to help me answer this what options/extras are available a mill of this era? My plan is to saw logs for my own use, including a house someday, custom saw for friends and maybe the public down the road.

Let me know what you think.

Thank you

TreeBones

I would jump on this one. Wood-Mizer holds there value. An old timer who was a sawmill repair expert told me that "simple is better". In other words the more bells and whistles you have the more problems, maintenance and break downs you will have.

I own a 95 LT40HDG24 that I have cut one million bdft on. I have replaced the original Onan with the Kholer 25 horse, just wore out the Onan. Regular parts replacement is all it has ever needed. I have also run other Wood-Mizer's with plenty of extras and can tell you first hand that the down time because of the extras made the final production rate the same as my mill without the extras.

You can find a review I wrote about the LT40HD here: http://westcoastlands.net/SawBucks2/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=12

I would grab this mill while you can. :)

Dave Shepard

I think that is a good deal. Yes, you can get a fancier mill, but for quite a bit more money. Buying this mill now, will get you into the game, and allow you to do the personal sawing now, and as your business grows later, you can trade up for a more productive machine later. There is a ton of life left in that mill at only 500 hours. I'm in Southern Berkshire, I'm guessing you are Northern?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

woodmills1

I don't think you will go wrong with that mill.  as far as the sharpener , just get the upgrades for the clamp and for the setter pusher
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jdtuttle

That sounds like a great deal. I own a 92 LT40HD and just put a new kohler 25 on. It will do everything you want to do and then some.
jim
Have a great day

Bibbyman

The biggest improvement is the 2-plane clamp.  The newer mills have a heavier frame and some other parts are heavier.  But if you've sawn on this mill for so long and not broke anything,  it does not matter.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

Sounds like a real good deal to me!  smiley_thumbsup_grin
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pineywoods

I bought a similar mill with 4500 hrs on it. Replaced the motor at 6000, now has 7100 hrs and still going strong. Pre 97 models, most of the woodmizer goodies won't fit, but I have added home made hydraulics to mine. With a little tlc, the things seem to last almost forever. I know of a 95 model that has 17000 hrs on it, still running every day. I consider a well maintained manual LT40 one of the better bargains around, regardless of age.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodmills1

doesnt LT40HD mean it was top o the line hydraulic back then
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Chuck White

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 19, 2010, 09:49:47 PM
doesnt LT40HD mean it was top o the line hydraulic back then

Mine for example is an LT40 HD=hydraulic G=gasoline 24=24horse power.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Berkshire

Dave Shepard I'm in Southern Berkshire, I'm guessing you are Northern?

Dave I am in Goshen, about an hour or so northeast of you.

Thank you for all of the responces and advice. I think I will go ahead with purchasing this mill once the winter is over.

Thank You Sponsors!