iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back up camera for Chevy 3500 Duelly

Started by Road Runner, May 03, 2016, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Runner

I'm looking at back up cameras for my new to me truck for hitching trailers and general backing.  I'm currently looking at a TadiBrothers 120 degree camera (license plate mount) with 5" monitor.  This camera runs on the upper end of the $ spectrum which is from $30 - $300.  I don't have any experience with these and am wondering if they are worth the extra money.  I'd appreciate any input or recommendations before biting the bullet.   
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

Magicman

I bought a TadiBrothers wireless camera for the rear of the 5th wheel trailer.  It works fine, but there are too many exposed wires and connectors.  I finally managed to install it, but I doubt that I would buy it again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 03, 2016, 08:42:49 PM
I bought a TadiBrothers wireless camera........ but there are too many exposed wires

say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

A couple of years ago my wife got me one for my truck, picked it up at Walmart or K-Mart for under $100.00!

Works pretty good, on the monitor I can see my trailer hitch ball and I can put it directly under the coupler on my trailer or my sawmill!

We mounted the sending unit up, in, next to the left hand taillight, and from there forward it's wireless.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Road Runner

Magicman, Did you get the wireless model?  The one I'm looking at is wireless.  The camera is built into a license plate bracket and is hardwired into the trucks backup lights for power.  The monitor can be attached to the dash with velcro and plugged into the cigarette lighter.  The truck has a small storage compartment next to the power plug that the monitor can be attached in front of to hold/hide the excess wires.
Chuck, Is yours hardwired to the truck or battery powered?
I like the idea of it only being on when in reverse and not being on and a distraction while driving or having to power it up to back.  I don't like the idea of the $250 price tag (Scotish heritage), but if it prevents one backing accident I can justify it.

Thanks for the replies.   

Magicman

Yes, my unit is wireless because the camera is on the back of the trailer.  The actual camera and monitor are OK, but there is an external transmitter with the camera and an external receiver with the monitor.  Non-weatherproof Red and yellow RCA type connectors with each.  Just a jumble of stuff that has to go somewhere.  In my instance I put the transmitter inside the rear refrigerator housing and the receiver behind the truck rear seat.  Scroll through the pictures and you will find the transmitter and the receiver.  LINK  They do not show the power cords which have non-waterproof fuses, etc.  The wiring was horrible, and did not include all of the connectors that I needed.  I kept it and used it, but in reality I should have returned it.  My link is for a 7" monitor, but the wiring is the same.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Road Runner

Thanks Magicman.  That explains it.  I've wired enough boats and trailers to be wary of what you describe.  On with the search.         

Chuck White

Quote from: Road Runner on May 03, 2016, 09:52:24 PM
Magicman, Did you get the wireless model?  The one I'm looking at is wireless.  The camera is built into a license plate bracket and is hardwired into the trucks backup lights for power.  The monitor can be attached to the dash with velcro and plugged into the cigarette lighter.  The truck has a small storage compartment next to the power plug that the monitor can be attached in front of to hold/hide the excess wires.
Chuck, Is yours hardwired to the truck or battery powered?
I like the idea of it only being on when in reverse and not being on and a distraction while driving or having to power it up to back.  I don't like the idea of the $250 price tag (Scotish heritage), but if it prevents one backing accident I can justify it.

Thanks for the replies.

Mine is tapped into the backup light wire, so it's only on when the truck is in reverse!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Skip

The iBall wireless is magnetic mount that you can move from vehicle to vehicle and put where you want on hitch , tailgate etc. They got great reviews in Trailer Life magazine . The screen plugs into cig. lighter acc. plug. I think it sold about $150. The website is iballhitchcam.com

LeeB

I need to invest in one of these. I backed up a 16 ft car hauler trailer with the dually for the first time the other day. Hard to back a trailer you can't see. I figured as long as I couldn't see it it was straight behind me. I managed to back up from the house down to my shop. About 300 ft.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

I have a 6x12 that's like that, Lee.

I'm thinking about getting some temporary stakes to put on the back of the side rails just so I can see where the trailer is!   ::)

Bandmill Bandit

I just installed this little guy on my fifth wheel.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rvs-systems-wifi-backup-camera-system-2994699p.html#srp

It is built by http://www.rvssystems.com/

Install is simple very cost effective  and it works good to about 35 feet.

2 concerns you will find mentioned in the reviews is the need for an App update and the pain of using an android device. I talked to the support department supervisor before I bought the unit and was told the beta testing for the Apple App update is almost done and the update will be released by the time the new IOS version come out.

His comment re android devices was "android gives 100s of issues to 1 on apple."

I am going to buy a second one and build it into 6"x6"x4"  weather proof PVC box with a magnetic base. That I way can use it on pretty much any thing. My son says he can get it into a 4"X4"X 3" inch box.   

I just browsed the RVS web site.
If they dont have some thing that will work for most applications you probably wont find it any where! they have a very broad selections of systems and components.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Kbeitz

Something you might want to look into is the new GPS units.
My wife just had one installed in her car and it came with a
backup camera. It's also the radio telephone and a dozen
other thing all in one.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!