iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PP4218a new sprocket ideas.

Started by neogipson, April 20, 2019, 12:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neogipson

Hello everybody,

I have a PP4218a and been doing maintenance and was looking at sprockets and was wanting to change the pitch from 3/8 to 0.325 any ideas what would fit.  Also was thinking about going from the spur type to a rim type sprocket.  Any ideas where I might be able to find these items? I know that a lot of Husqvarna parts work on my saw and have upgraded to them already. 

sawguy21

Check the Oregon site for availability.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

neogipson

Hello sawguy21,

I already looked there mine main concern is proper fitment. Being the first time I have changed the pitch on a saw I really do not know much on this process.  Much less all the different options for mounting and bearing have on this. What I can get away with changing and what I can not.

neogipson

All the sites I have been to over the past few days only give the 3/8 pitch sprockets and nothing else that are verified to fit the PP4218a.  I have 25 acres here in Texas that is either being cleared or maintained at this point and having a decent chainsaw is a must.  The thing is I bought a new chain and bar off a recommendation from another site and I bought yet they were .325, not 3/8 that the saw had on it but with the work sprocket it worked better than the original bar and chain that it came with. After replacing the sprocket I have big issues.  Rather replace a cheaper sprocket than get a new bar and chain yet this seems to be much more difficult than I expected. And finding a rim sprocket verified to fit my saw in either pitch seems to be even worse.  It may be ill experience in changing from stock parts that is my biggest downfall at this point.

lxskllr

I looked for rim sprockets for my echo cs400, and they appear to be unobtanium. Mad Professor here said the bearings would be too small for a 6 point rim sprocket, and would fail. Made sense to me, and you'd be in the same boat. You don't have enough motor to go to a 7 point.

With 25 acres, I'd look into getting a new saw. I'm one of the few fans of the PoulanPro, but I wouldn't use them for big properties like you have. They're better for occasional suburban use, or dedicated niche use; perhaps a limbing saw. You're only gonna get so far with a PP. They're made to be disposable, and you won't find much aftermarket support aside from stock parts.

Perhaps you can find a new saw that'll fit your bar and chain, or even just write it off. Mistakes happen, and we can't always be winners. Better to cut losses than throw money and time at a problem, ending up no better, or worse than when started.. I'd stick with stock for the PP, then assess my needs going long into the future. Sticker shock for a pro, or nearly pro saw can be significant, but if you prorate it over the life of the property, you can usually come out ahead. At worst, you'll be even money, but have nicer equipment to work with(Less vibration, easier starting, small bits that make life nicer...), but you'll probably save money cause they're meant to be repaired, and they have some measure of customization available.

dougand3

Agree with lxskllr - get a bigger saw.
There is 3/8LP (or picco) on 42cc and smaller saws. .325 on 45cc-55cc saws. 3/8 on 56cc and larger. Some variations exist.
A 42cc Poulan barely pulls 3/8LP on an 18" bar. 14" is much better. .325 on 42cc will be a real dog.
I have Poulan 36cc and 42cc limbing saws, pulling 14". I use Oregon 91VXL chain w/o shark fin bumpers. They are great in that application.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Thank You Sponsors!