iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting Ice

Started by deerguy, January 26, 2016, 06:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerguy

Folks,
I know this is likely way off topic from pistons, rings and rpm's......but....I'm looking for some advice on ice cutting. We just finished filling the ice house for another year at our remote camp and I'm still not happy with saw performance. We used a couple of Stihl's for the big work, with 28" bars. They ran great, but unless the saw was positioned really close to the ice block it was a grunt, and without ear plugs they can't be operated.
Being a die-hard Husky guy with a favorite 371XP and 3 or 4 in the  60 something series saws, here's my question: Can I run a 28"+ bar on my 371XP just for ice without being viewed as abusive ?? Ideally I would like a bar in the 32" range, but it's not a deal breaker.
Any and all advice and/or suggestions are most welcome, as this is year 3 with the ice cutting and we're still in learning mode.

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

beenthere

QuoteThey ran great, but unless the saw was positioned really close to the ice block it was a grunt, and without ear plugs they can't be operated.

Translate for us pls.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

deerguy

Sorry Beenthere, I wasn't very clear on that part. The saws ran great, but unless the saw body was positioned close to the ice block in a near horizontal position for most of the cut, they required a lot of downward pressure on the top handle to get them to cut. Chains were sharp and all components seemed to be in perfect working order. Although it sounds crazy, you would almost think the bar was flexing from the downward pressure as I attempted to cut closer to the tip/sprocket of the bar.
As for my comments on the earplugs it is what it is. Those Stihl's run at such high rpm's that without hearing protection it didn't take long to remind me to go find some !! Maybe that's the Husky lover in me, so we'll never know. And yes, I should be wearing it as a standard procedure.....

Deerguy

lumberjack48

What size is the Stihl ?

I don't see any problem with putting a 32 inch bar on your 371 Husky. Just make sure you don't let a green horn run your saw.

I read the problem your are having, the saw isn't going to change that.

My grandfather was a commercial fisherman. He'd take a chain and file the rakers just about off, this was his ice chain. And it did cut, just like a butter knife.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Gearbox

What 48 said about rakers X 2 your not cutting wood grind the rakers off . Unless you are cutting 2 ft of ice why a 30 in bar .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

sawguy21

So he can stand far enough back to avoid a cold shower. :D We scored the ice then broke the block loose with a sledge hammer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

I have cut lake ice up here in northern Manitoba 6  feet thick. Had to use my 090AV -60" lots of times.
But if your bar is too short this is what happens.  :D

https://youtu.be/tCACA_FlLs4
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

deerguy

Thanks for taking the time to read and supply some answers. The two models we used were a 461 and an 880. Both saws ran great and have lots of power, so I must admit it never occurred to me to file the rakers down. It makes perfect  sense so we'll devote some chains just to ice cutting.
As for bar length its all about comfort. We prefer our ice to be 12" thick, as this makes for nice even piling in the ice house. Bar length means us old guys don't have to bend over as far, and cutting from a near standing position really speeds the process up. We use a carriage assy like an Alaskan sawmill to cut appr 8 strips 12"  wide and 10' long, cut them off at the end and use a small John Deere with fork extensions and a pair of tongs on a short chain to pull the strips out of the water. Strips are measured and marked so all blocks are uniform size and then cut into blocks. Lots of fun and a very social event, as we try and round up as much free help as we can. Hot soup, chile and a wee pint or 3 round out the day after 600-700 blocks are put away

petefrom bearswamp

A quebec fishing camp I went to back in the mid 90s had round ice in plastic.
I asked the guy about it and he said he took one fellow with him and the plastic tubes, I think 6" diameter onto the ice with a pump, cut one hole filled the tubes and left them overnight on the ice then filled his ice house. Took him 2 days to get the summers ice.
Didnt say where he got the tubes.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!