iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First cedar and first log milled this year!

Started by grweldon, June 10, 2013, 02:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

My mill hasn't been started since last fall when I was all fired up to build my barn.  Well, life got in the way.  I got a tractor, started working on my land cutting brush and leveling with the box blade.  In the process, I found an Eastern Red Cedar that somebody cut a long time ago and left in the woods, or at least left the bottom 6 or 7 feet of the butt log.  It was about 14" on the small end and the sapwood was rotted off 75% of the log.  I put a choker on it and skidded it to the mill with the tractor.

I bought new guide rollers for the mill about 3 weeks ago and replaced them yesterday.  I tracked the blade and readjusted the guides.  It seemed to go much easier than the last time I did it!  The cedar log was relatively light.  I rolled it up the mill ramps with the 4' cant hook even though it was just on the edge of what my 51-year-old body could handle.  I really hate to have to admit that I'm not 30 anymore!

So, I started milling my first cedar log yesterday and now the sawdust bug has bitten me hard... again!  I have no pictures of the log, but I'll take some of the lumber, just to prove that I'm not running my mouth!  Some of the lumber wasn't completely sound but some of the patterns were unusual because of the punkiness.  I managed to get about eight 1x8s, four 1x4s and a 4x4.  Not too bad for something that was left in the woods as junk!  I'll post pics tomorrow...  It's good to be sawing again!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Magicman

Life does have a way of making you do what you gotta do instead of what you may wanna do.   ;D

It's good to hear that you are "dulling blades" again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Cedar: the new walnut. I sell it about as fast as I get it in.  ;D
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

grweldon

Thanks Lynn... yes it is Cfarm!

Okra...  In the process of clearing brush I uncovered a few more pecan trees that I could only see the tops of.  One looks to be somewhat unhealthy.  Might have to cut it down and slice it up!  When I feel competent to be called "Pecan Slayer", I'll change my username!  For now I'll just stay with my initials and name!  As far as the cedar, I'll be keeping this.  From what I have seen I have dozens of ERC on the farm ranging from pencil-size trunks to maybe 12" DIB.  I won't be harvesting any just to cut up.  My place is covered with SYP.  Most is only suitable for pulpwood at the moment but in another 10 years will be harvestable for lumber.  I also have an occasional harvestable Sweet Gum (we all know the opinions).  I have dozens of harvestable Oaks, (live, water, swamp, pin) which I believe are all white oaks, but I'm not sure.  I have yet to cut one but I have several targets in mind!

Let the sawdust fly!

Glen
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Magicman

Quote from: grweldon on June 11, 2013, 08:11:54 AMI have dozens of harvestable Oaks, (live, water, swamp, pin) which I believe are all white oaks, but I'm not sure.
The Swamp (Chestnut) would be a White.  The "Pin" and "Water" should be Reds, and the Live does not know what it is.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Papa1stuff

Live does not know what it is.

Liveoak is hard ,really hard ,that's what it is ;D ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Okrafarmer

I been told live oak is in the white oak camp, but I think they make it guard the camp from attacks from the sea.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!