iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dozer HP

Started by Grower, July 28, 2015, 04:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grower

What minimum size dozer do we need to shift these pine stumps? Would 150HP with a root rake do the trick? We have 1300 to shift.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/17673/20150728_142016.jpg
Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Stang51D

Low stumps are tough.  I have not done much with pine stumps, but that looks way to big for a root rake.    I am thinking that, cut that low, my D-8H would have a hard time with them, at close to 300hp.  I would say that about a 320 Cat size excavator with skinny bucket would be best.

Ianab

How old are the stumps? Pine stumps like that rot out pretty quick here in NZ, but if they are less than a year, they are going to be tough.

Big excavator would be my pick too. Then the stumps can be dug up and piled easily as well.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

logman81

Yup large excavator with a stump ripper would be my choice.
Precision Firewood & Logging

clww

We have dozers at my employer up to Cat D7s, but for clearing and stump removal all we utilize are excavators. Normally Cat 320 or 330s.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Grower

40 year old Ianab, I planted them. If I leave them long enough they should just push out which far the cheaper option. Either that or just plant over them which has been done before, only thing is the fire risk in 10 years time as they will still be there. Any digging we do comes out of the profit made from them.

beenthere

Don't understand the "fire risk" from rotting stumps left behind.  What causes that?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Grower

An out of control fire that sweeps through a plantation. We saw it here 20 years ago in another block which was right next to the road.

Dixon700

For 1300 stumps that size I'd say a good sized excavator.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

Grower

Considering the size of the bill for the excavator to clean up I would be better to let the stumps rot for 10 years then push them all out in one hit with a smaller dozer. That way I get to keep the profit from the timber for myself.

loggah

I would use an excavator also, but if you were going to use a dozer i would say D6 size and up.I used to own a bunch of big heavy equipment,excavators,dozers,wheel loaders and used them all stumping and building fields and ponds.If the ground is dry,and fairly flat a big wheel loader will pop and move those stumps in a hurry,i had a Michigan 275B with a 7 1/2yd spade nose  bucket and you could just pop stumps that size out of the ground easily,pick them up drop them get the dirt out and when you got a pile of stumps haul them away in the bucket,lots easier then pushing them with a dozer,and you didnt need a truck to haul them in. The real big older loaders didn't cost much and when i was done with it i sold it and got most all my money back.Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

HiTech

A dozer with a loader/bucket and teeth on the bucket will take stumps out fairly easy. I have moved or taken out a lot of them with a 450 Deere with that set up. I saw a guy with a big old cat dozer/loader combination clearing stumps for a hayfield once and it seemed like it didn't take him long. With the bucket you can get under them and just curl them up out. Also you can pile them where you want.

NH-Murph

I plan on fencing in my latest cut of pine and turning the hogs out for a year or so.  A little corn down in the roots, and the pigs will do the heavy lifting for you.  They won't pull the stumps, but when they are done, you won't need so much machine to get them removed the rest of the way.  A buddy of mine did this a couple years ago, and after a year, you could go around and wiggle all the stumps by hand...

Justify008

Quote from: NH-Murph on August 03, 2015, 07:07:35 AM
I plan on fencing in my latest cut of pine and turning the hogs out for a year or so.  A little corn down in the roots, and the pigs will do the heavy lifting for you.  They won't pull the stumps, but when they are done, you won't need so much machine to get them removed the rest of the way.  A buddy of mine did this a couple years ago, and after a year, you could go around and wiggle all the stumps by hand...

I second what nh murph said i have a buddy that clears stumps and brush with hogs easiest and cheapest method I think and bonus you get tasty bacon in the end along with a clear field. Just takes a little more time.

Dixon700

Quote from: Justify008 on August 03, 2015, 02:36:17 PM
Quote from: NH-Murph on August 03, 2015, 07:07:35 AM

I second what nh murph said i have a buddy that clears stumps and brush with hogs easiest and cheapest method I think and bonus you get tasty bacon in the end along with a clear field. Just takes a little more time.
Lol, tasty bacon and a clear field. That was good. Heck the hogs in there for year you could probably lift the stumps with a decent skid loader.
Ms 460 mag 25" b/c muffler modded 010av  14" b/c
94 case 580sk 04.5 ram 2500

beenthere

Not sure what kind of tree stumps and sizes you are talking about that hogs will uproot in a year.

I have my doubts if the tree stumps are of any size and if a species that doesn't decay rapidly after the tree is cut. And a winter that the ground isn't frozen for about 4 months.

But am curious about your experiences.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NH-Murph

It's pretty impressive how much they will root with the proper motivation (corn).  So long as you don't have a breed like Kune Kunes or Idaho Pasture Pigs.  They are grazing pigs and won't root like a Durock or Berkshire, etc.  I put a pair of 9 week old Durock/Berkshire crosses in a temporary 16'x16' pen for the past week, and they have already exposed an unbelievable amount of roots from the 2 16" DBH white pine trees in the pen.  I will no doubt have to cut those trees within a couple more weeks as they will be hazardous with any sort of wind.  It really is quite effective.  I expect to use my 40hp tractor to do the stumping once the Hogs have their way with this recent cut, and I have a feeling it will be plenty of machine for the task.  Without the pigs, I wouldn't dream of using my tractor for these stumps.  It'll work slicker than puppy turds on a linoleum floor!

Thank You Sponsors!