iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TV show on Bird's eye maple and curly maple

Started by Hilltop366, August 30, 2009, 12:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

I'm not sure what section this should go in because it covers several so I try it here.
This is a TV show I just watched and thought it was quite interisting, Maybe the guy in the story (Dale Smearer) is a member?
Anyway I enjoyed the show as I do most of there shows (low on bling & BS high on rural content and interest), there are more shows listed on the right.

Below is a link and description of show.

note stickers at 6:23min

Cheers

http://www.cbc.ca/landandsea/2009/08/post.html

In a world where everything bigger is supposed to be better, there is one Maritime entrepreneur who still believes it's okay to think small. On New Brunswick's north shore, Dale Smearer operates a small, family-run sawmill that supplies high-end wood to customers around the world. Specializing in such figured woods as bird's eye maple and curly maple, Smearer sells to furniture manufacturers, artists and makers of customized musical instruments. Every time the bankers want to lend him money so he can expand, he says, "No thanks." For Dale Smearer, his business and his life are just fine.

SwampDonkey

The show was on earlier this year and someone already started a thread at that time.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,36411.0.html

But, Dale Smearer has been a figure buyer for a number of years in NB. He has bought birdseye locally and paid the most for any figured log I've seen in the area. It was around $1900. It was Smearer that made the connections to get a white oak log for the sawmill at the Kings Landing Historical Site in Prince William, NB.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!