iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

044 magnum tear down

Started by taylorsmissbeehaven, July 13, 2013, 01:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorsmissbeehaven

I got an 044 magnum a couple of weeks ago to tear down and rebuild. I'm a first timer here so got a manual and took her apart. I am getting ready to order parts and put it back together and was wondering if anyone could suggest things I can do to make a better saw. Thanks in advance, Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

T Welsh

Brian, the 44 Mag is a good saw! Tell us what was wrong with it and why you had to tear it down. On a rebuild/refresh,piston and rings are usually changed out with new gaskets and freshen up fuel line and impluse lines,new filters and spark plug and you pretty much have it! If the saw burnt down,then you have to ask yourself why? and find the reason before throwing new parts on it. Total rebuilds consist of a new jug and piston/rings/wrist pin,gaskets,check lower bearings and seals/pressure test bottom end,carb rebuild kit,new fuel and impluse lines and filters and plug. Good luck with it!! Tim

Al_Smith

Well you could get running for a song or rebuild it to factory fresh specs I suppose depending on what's wrong with it .

If you totaly go through and replace things using new OEM parts you'll have more money in it than the saw cost new .So you have to look at that .

On the alternative it might be possible to replace faulty or worn parts with good used parts and get the same end results in a manner of speaking .It works for me .

taylorsmissbeehaven

Thanks for the info fellas! I bought it on the bay. It came from a lot of saws bought by a fella out west. Some for parts, some better. I bought it cheap and don't have a lot to put into it but I am going to replace the rings(piston and jug look like they are in good shape). Needs new muffler and brake handle, got them from one of FF sponsors. New gaskets and lines and maybe carb kit if I need/have enough left over(carb looks ok too). It fired when I got it but wasn't running right and had definitely been rode hard. I just wanted to learn something and end up with another saw. I've torn it down and will see about a few pics as I put it back together. Thanks again,Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

T Welsh

As AL said going with OEM parts can get pricey! Depending how you will use it will dictate how you want to proceed. When I rebuild a saw for my own use I always use OEM parts! And I do not take short cuts. And yes I have rebuilt many of my Stihl,s That ended up as much as  the saw was worth. But the 80.s and 90,s era saws are better runners than the newer saw,s. We have over 20 Stihl,s working every day of the week,some prefer the newer one,s but I prefer the older ones. Do not take this the wrong way the newer saw,s are good,but they do not have the torque of the older one,s! Most of my older saw,s have be freshened up with new rings or have new jugs and pistons in them. I make my living with my saw,s and I treat them that way. Tim

Thank You Sponsors!