iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

C6 Tree Farmer Power Shift Transmission Thoughts?

Started by eichenberg93, November 13, 2014, 06:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eichenberg93

We have a C6 Tree farmer. Right now it has a 4-53 Detroit in it with a 5 speed new process Transmission. For a while we have
thought about finding a power shift to put behind the detroit. The other day we found a complete setup that is for a detroit. It come
from a roller with 3-53 in it. It comes with everything (flywheel,flexplate, torque converter). It says on the tag it is a "Reverse-o-matic"
Did a little looking and it looks like it might be made by funk.

The question is if anyone has any experience with that make of transmission. And if they are a reliable unit. I know it will take alot of
work and modifications to make it fit but after running the jack with one in it. I Dont want to go back to a Clutch.... ;)

Autocar

I have a C-7 grapple skidder with a 4/53 and a three speed power shift, motor and transmission has been rebuilt . Just my two cents the power shift is to slow second is about right third is to fast and first is a snails pace. Many times I thought about putting in a manual transmision so maybe I could pick up more gears that suited the skidder better for different speeds. Just my two cents  ;D. Good luck.
Bill

eichenberg93

Quote from: Autocar on November 13, 2014, 06:33:17 PM
I have a C-7 grapple skidder with a 4/53 and a three speed power shift, motor and transmission has been rebuilt . Just my two cents the power shift is to slow second is about right third is to fast and first is a snails pace. Many times I thought about putting in a manual transmision so maybe I could pick up more gears that suited the skidder better for different speeds. Just my two cents  ;D. Good luck.

Isnt the transmission and transfer case one piece on your C7. In ours it has a divorce Transfer case. So in reture it would still have a Hi-Lo in it. So you would end up with 6 Speed. How does the 4-53 handle the power shift. The timberJack has a cummins in it and that has better torque at lower Rpm's. 

lopet

I don't think it will be worth it, especially if it's not a bolt in unit.  If I want powershift I would just buy another skidder.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

ga jones

It sounds like a good plan to me. We do retrofitting all the time... U can't beat a powershift.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

eichenberg93

Quote from: lopet on November 13, 2014, 07:02:50 PM
I don't think it will be worth it, especially if it's not a bolt in unit.  If I want powershift I would just buy another skidder.

We already have one skidder with a power shift in it. The treefarmer is just a backup and for smaller jobs that it is not feasible to have the Jack Hauled. The transmission from what we can see will bolt right up. All that has to be done is all the linkages have to be updated.

donny hochstetler

I would say you are getting ready to open a can of very smelly worms  :o but then again Im not the greatest wrencher so good luck if you do it let us know how it goes as a side not I saw a decent looking 450 T J  on cr in west virginia with trans. prob that could b bought for about scrap price I would tend to go that route

HiTech

Will the 4-53 have more beans than this transmission can handle? It was hooked to a 3-53 you say. Rollers go forward and backward. Is this a transmission with more than forward/reverse? For something you say you don't use regularly it might be opening a can of worms that is not worth fishing with.

eichenberg93

Thats the big question. Our grandpa had a C7d with a Detroit in it in the mid to late 90's. He preferred it over the C6. We are just trying to figure out of if it would work for what we are trying to use it for. It is a 3 speed with forward and reverse. Thanks for all the reply's

Autocar

On my C-7 the transmission is seperate from the detroit there's a drive shaft between them. My power shift will pull anything you hook to it but just not very fast.
Bill

treeslayer2003

i have a funk in an international s8B, they are hard to get parts for since deere aquired funk.
i think you are barking up the wrong tree with that particular trans though.........better off using a clark or allison set up for a skidder, the transfer case is alreasy in the trans and both those units are bullet proof with good parts availibility.
also the same clark and allisons are in front end loaders so you could find one that way.

eichenberg93

Thanks for your opinions on the idea. Just weighing all my options for what would be best way to go. Its not something that going to happen Tomorrow. More than likely if we do anything with it. It will be in that perfect time of year called "Frost Laws" ;) 

ga jones

Treeslayer is right an allison or clark would be a better option. Clark's
Are expensive from what I've seen. Allison is a truck transmission and available at any truck junkyard. Easy to get parts for.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

timberlinetree

We had a selet-0-matic in a ford tractor and the trans went and was to much to fix.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

treeslayer2003

Quote from: ga jones on November 15, 2014, 06:55:16 PM
Treeslayer is right an allison or clark would be a better option. Clark's
Are expensive from what I've seen. Allison is a truck transmission and available at any truck junkyard. Easy to get parts for.
the allisons iv seen in loaders were not what is in trucks...........look like a clark lol.
youd be surprised, find an old straight frame michigan settin and buy it for scrap price........i bet the trans is fine most times.

oldseabee

Several things to consider, Along with the convertor you need a charge pump and clutch pressure regulating valve for clutch pressure, and you need a PTO to drive the winch even though you have a grapple. Clark trans would need to come out of a skidder, not a front end loader for the right ratios, PTO, and an oil cooler for the trans oil. Funk trans may have parts availability issues. Allison aren't the best in a skidder, it is basically a truck trans.

eichenberg93

A Allison is a good transmission. But the only problem i see is if we could find one that would bolt up to a Detroit. All the allisons that i have see in pickups are setup for a cummins. Maybe it would be a good time to do a cummins swap. :D
The transmission in it right now came out of a 1 1/2 Ton chevy truck . The rations are same as what are in a truck . The only difference is the input shaft. What would be nice is to find one that would fit in the same spot as the current transmission. Our transfer case is still in good condition. Thanks   

treeslayer2003

Quote from: oldseabee on November 16, 2014, 12:11:49 PM
Several things to consider, Along with the convertor you need a charge pump and clutch pressure regulating valve for clutch pressure, and you need a PTO to drive the winch even though you have a grapple. Clark trans would need to come out of a skidder, not a front end loader for the right ratios, PTO, and an oil cooler for the trans oil. Funk trans may have parts availability issues. Allison aren't the best in a skidder, it is basically a truck trans.
the pto is snap to convert, remove a cover and install seal and yoke.

i did not know the ratio may be different..........you need to stick around here more, you got alot to teach us.

on the allison, get one out of industrial equipment not a truck. they are different.

ga jones

The Allison's I've worked with in timberjack 200 series are at545 truck transmissions they bolt right up to a sae 2 bell housing. I've only had experience with those.

eichenberg93

Thats good to know. How does that work with the allison in a timberjack. Do you still use the transfercase for Foward or reverse? or do you just have One reverse Speed?

Thank You Sponsors!