iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ticks

Started by ehp, July 01, 2015, 03:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

First never had to deal with the little buggers until moving south to log , how bad are they in your area . I'm not sure what is considered bad but I'm logging in a area they put road signs up warning people about them . I have been biten 20 times that I know of this summer and I'm sure more than that , lots of trips to the hospital on any that just will not come off and have had 3 so far they cut out as to deep to pull out . On the pills for lyme disease and they sent ticks away but I have heard nothing back on the ones tested , my sister's dog tested last week and it came back the dog has lyme

petefrom bearswamp

Wow that is a lot of tick bites.
I worked in the woods 25 yrs and still spend a lot of time there and have never been bitten.
Maybe i taste bad.
I had the vaccination in the early 90s when Lyme started becoming a real problem.
They quit offering the vaccine a couple of yrs after I had mine.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

treeslayer2003

wow, i'v had 20 on one leg in a few hours. any more if one bites me it is dead by the time i find it that night.......idk if thats good or bad........

Oliver05262

My wife had a bite, nine years ago, with the textbook bullseye rash around the area of the bite (on her back). They treated it as if it was Lyme, but all the tests came back negative. Still, she was sick for a week or so.
  Last week, she got sick again, and doesn't remember having any ticks on her at all. No sign of a bite or rash anywhere, but she ran a real high fever & chills, aches, vomiting and weakness from Thursday until Sunday noon when we convinced her to let us take her to the ER. I just brought her home from the Hospital this morning. The fever is gone, her blood counts are low, but rising, and she tested positive for BOTH Lyme and Anaplasmosis.
  Watch out. Use repellant, long pants and shirts if possible, and check for the little buggars when you come in. It's nothing to fool with.
  Work safe and enjoy life.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

thecfarm

I never had ticks here until 4-5-6 year ago. But they was at my stepson's house about 40 minutes from me. I do find a few on me. One year I found 4 through the summer. I live out in the woods and I am outside just about every day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ehp

I see hundreds if not a couple thousands ticks everyday in this bush , the furtherest south I'm just looking over the town of turkey point and in the tall grass they I think out number any other bugs . I was just wondering how bad south of me was . I donot taste good either by the number of bites on me , every other guy that comes in where I'm logging gets biten fast and large numbers . Guy came in on Thurs just to the landing , got out of his truck , looked at the logs on my landing and went to the hospital , he had 3 removed they went at him that fast . he had deep woods off on him

Jhenderson

Dicks Sporting Goods sells a repellant called Max Deet. It's 98% Deet. I've begun to spray my boots, chaps and vest every morning. The other thing to have on hand is a Tick Stick. It comes in a 2 pack and they look like miniature crow bar. Bought them online from a pet supply store. I've yet to come across a tick, no matter how small that I couldn't remove intact, wether on human or my long haired Shiloh Shepherd. By the way, my wife has had Lyme disease 3 times in the last ten years. The last time she was on antibiotics for 9 months. These tick born diseases are not to be taken lightly.

NH-Murph

I had a buddy get Ehrlichiosis last year.  Darn near took him out.  It's strange around here.  Ticks are very prevalent, but certain places have them everywhere, while there are places like at my house where I have yet to find one (and I am out in the brush several hours a day after work).  At work, which is 3 miles away, 20 min walking through the woods and you find half a dozen on you.  I don't get it, but I  ain't complaining!

elk42

I got these at Walmart they are 98% deet. And I also use Max-Deet they are all good.

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

treeslayer2003

that repel 100 works well. and on sheep flies as well.

coxy

eph  sounds like you working next to me with all the ticks your getting ;D  had to take a brake from working and go some place else they are real bad with all the ran we are having some say it has nothing to do with it but seems like if the sun is out I my or may not get one on me but after a little ran I get 10-15 of them suckers on me  my side and back has hundreds of little welts from where they have bitten me in the last year have had lyme twice and think I have it again small headache almost all day every day now for 3weeks and bad neck /shoulder pain  don't know why the government or states wont spray for them or some thing

ehp

so what your saying is a sign of lyme is a small head ache and sore . I have head a headache now for about 2 weeks , I never get headaches but do now . I only got biten once I believe last year . They are pretty much everywhere around here but seems strange that I'm cutting right against Long Point consevation bush , Government land and these ticks are everywhere , not saying they had anything to do with it but they also released rattle snakes and cats which I see no reason for either here but they did

ehp

was hoping they would get a needle I would just take once a year or some kind of spray to kill them buggers. The deep stuff we get around here is only 30% and at that small % it seems to draw them to you like its candy

coxy

that's what I was getting last year the headache was all most 2 months thought it was stress and only getting a few hours sleep and the neck and shoulder pain was like a stiff neck /pulled mussel thing that got so bad I could not turn my head or lift my arm then I went to see the doc  :-\  the doxy they gave me was bad stuff the sun burnt me up blisters all over my hands/nose and ears its hard to where a winter hat and gloves at 80  :D  get your self checked this crap is no joke

ehp

the pills I'm taking is like those , my skin has peeled pretty much off my arms face and ears . The doc had them make some sun block that was for kids then put zinc in it as well but think I still want a lyme test if they have it here

g_man

The tick stories are scary. We have plenty of wood ticks now. A new appearance in the last 10 years. Have not seen any deer ticks. Every day I get 3 or 4 wood ticks on me but they seem to walk around on my body for a few hours looking for a good place before they bite. So they are easy to pick off when I come in. They are at there worst in late spring and starting to lessen now.

Lumberjohn

I can speak from experience about being bored into by ticks, probably pulled hundreds out of myself. I get the most near my belt line, underarms, had one on my privates once.
I get the most during fur trapping season, especially around wild mink. Got several seng hunting too.
Never got the bullseye mark, or headaches or joint pain, had all that before the bites.
Everyone I know that sought medical help came back diagnosed w/ lymes....hmmmnnn....
As far as the gubment spraying for ticks I hope to god they test anything they lay down 1st, maybe the tick bite would be the least of your problems.
I just finished up a 3 week logging job, never had a tick, but some narrow winged insect got me good.
Google moose/ticks and watch the one where ticks literally killed moose, they had so many on them.
I will add more random ramblings as I think of them.

petefrom bearswamp

ehp I had the vaccination in the 90s but the vaccine was pulled shortly after that.
Perhaps it is still available in Canada.
My doc doesnt understand why it was taken off the market.
I have one of those little crow bars called ticked off which we used on our cat, worked good.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

HiTech

I never heard of ticks around here till 5 or 6 years ago. Now they are all over. Not sure why all of a sudden they are here but they are. Could be an invasive species. Or perhaps our lovely Government has something to do with it. I've heard some crazy stories. Deer bringing them to birds bringing them. Government raising them to let go over enemy territories and they got lose and spread everywhere here. If you listen long enough you can hear all kinds of stories. A few airplanes with sprayers and some DDT will take care of the problem. When the right Rich person gets infected, then all hell will break loose and they will be taken care off.

Corley5

What kind of ticks do you guys have that you have to have them cut out by a Dr.?  We've got dog ticks here now.  They're fairly new to the area.  In these numbers anyway.  I've never had one that couldn't be pulled out.  My favorite tool is a Leatherman.  I haven't had one this season but the kids and dogs have had a few.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

treeslayer2003

deer ticks [seed ticks] are the real problem here

ehp

just had another one cut out at hospital, all I see here is black deer ticks , got to take the pills now an extra 2 weeks so that will make 6 weeks total, doc said I will most likely be sick and have the runs bad from being on these pills for so long , told him I'm already there LOL

coxy

i feel your pain eph  never had the runs  :) i took my pills for 8 weeks

JohnW

I'm always surprised to see tick discussions, where no one mentions Permethrin.  It's a clothing treatment, which is supposed to last for 6 weeks, and it seems to be about 100% effective in keeping ticks and chiggers off of you.  Also, a while back, some one mentioned Zorrel clothing which is supposed to be effective through 77 washings.

ehp

Might be we cannot buy it here , Canada has some strange laws on what can be brought into the country , Coxy what was the name of the pills you took and the strength

Thank You Sponsors!