iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TimberJack 1010 forwarder

Started by ehp, December 11, 2015, 02:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

Got one to look at , its old a 1994 but never been around this style of forwarder , its 6 wheel by pictures , Any problems with these . I'm not looking for a machine to put in the bush, more to feed the processor and can move logs off a landing that gets to wet for the log truck . How does the bogie system stand up and how costly are they to fix on this machine

Ken

Mine is a 1999 1010B but that machine seems to be very tough.  Does the one you are looking at have a hydrostatic drive or automatic tranny?  I'm assuming the motor is a 4cyl Cummins but may be mistaken.   I've heard horror stories about very expensive rebuilds on bogies but if you are only using it around a landing I'm guessing as long as you ensure it has oil the bogies would not be an issue.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

furltech

I have owned a 1010b and run several others by far my favourite machine to run .I have ran them from brand new and some up to 30000 hours .Biggest problem i ever had was the pumps but these were high volume machines with multiple operators on them .I would never hesitate to buy one to feed a processor and run around the yard .I have only ever had one bogie problem on mine the stub axle broke but i am going to blame that half on wear and half on the cowboy running it he pretty much put it up against a high stump loaded and then just kept trying to go ahead.

ehp

Ok talked to the owner on the phone , its to have a perkins turbo in it , a clark 3 speed auto trans. Its got a broken rear drive , whats all broken he does not know but he said the sun gear piled up and axle has a groove worn in it , the trans is suppose to be some kind of electric sensor or something like that and it sometimes does not want to drive in 2nd gear , that part does scare me . the log loader also has some kind of electrical problems so it must be electric over hdy.  Anybody fix any of these problems

Brleclaire

Unless you can get this machine for dirt cheap I would walk away. There's lots of used iron out there

1270d

The older electronic ctl stuff can be hard to get parts for.

ehp

I can buy it cheap but is it worth fixing even then , what does this stuff cost to fix ?

bushmechanic

If it's just for around the landing and to feed a processor I don't think that's what you need. Those machines are very technical and by the sounds of it that machine has a lot of issues already. We have a 2003 John Deere 1010D and use it everyday with very little troubles. It has the hydrostatic drive and that works really well, a lot better than power shift or auto's. I personally would look for a simpler machine like a Tree Farmer C6 or Timberjack 230, but that's just me. You would have to get it cheap cause those european style machines are not cheap to fix, for example we just lost the actuator for the speed on a 1070 Timberjack harvester and it will cost $3000 to replace.

ehp

I had a old 230 4 wheel forwarder that had a 353 in it , was not a machine I liked, it had 24.5 by 32's on it and had no bottomend to lift the load in 1st gear , Maybe with smaller diameter tires it would be better ,   also had a old Volvo 6 wheel machine and that works perfect for what I need , Lots of 230A 4 wheel forwarders around here but would sooner have the 6 wheel type . To feed the processor either can do the job but if we doesnot get any frost I'm going to have to forward a lot of timber to where the log truck can get it , Not far in most cases , less than a 1/4 mile

ehp

Anybody know of any machines around that will do the job, Not many around here other than up north and $150,000 plus price tag and up which does not make any sense to me

lopet

Just for loading the processor you want something to get on and off easy, especially if you're working by yourself.  A small articulated  loader with a shuttle or torque converter and a grapple is on my wish list.
Forwarders are meant to sit in the cab all day long.  ;D   That's my 2 cents.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

barbender

Ehp, how much actual forwarding do you intend to do with it? As others have mentioned, the maintenance costs on the euro style machines can be huge, and to get in one new enough that you can reliably get parts for it will set you back, yes, in that $100K to $150K range. Too much money to sit in the yard a lot, IMO. The only experience I have is with Ponsse machines, they seem to have trouble with some electrical component availability prior to around the 2000 model year. I'm forwarding a job right now for a contractor whose forwarder (6 wheel Fabtek, I don't know what year) went down. It has some problems with the rear axle/drive, and it is kind of a rare axle. By the time they wait for parts and get it back in service, it will be well over a month down, all the while his two processors are out laying wood down :o I've seen some Franklin 6 wheel machines in equipment magazines that look like solid, simple machines, maybe they have minimal electronics. But again, parts availability. Good luck in your search ;)
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

popcorn_smiley  Good thread, like hearing from you guys who are stuck in a forwarder 8 days a week about what to look for.

ehp

I don't have to have a forwarder but want one , I got a new 650S bobcat skidsteer that can load the green chain on the processor but I prefer to keep skid steer on my landing piling logs   . My biggest thing is this , its way to wet in most fields/bush roads for the log trucks to get timber to the mill , Right now between both mills its getting close to a million feet sitting that cannot be trucked until it freezes , we are not to see any cold weather until maybe Feb. so by that time it will be closer to 2 1/2 or 3 million feet sitting and half loads come on Mar 1st . If it gets cold in Feb. the trucks will not gain one bit on anybody cause all the cutting crews will be going as hard as they can then again what happens if it doesnot get cold , End of Feb it will be 4 million plus feet in fields . Farmers will be mad as anything cause logs everywhere . I got over a million feet of good high grade timber  myself to cut and donot want anything in the fields . First off the sun will crack it so less money for me plus if the mills get all the timber at once the scale will go down and they will get real picky so in my little head I think its a smart move for me to get something to move my timber to road side . I donot need new nor do I want new . I prefer something straight hyd. not electrical over hyd  as that's just problems down the road

Ken

You've mentioned lots of issues with this machine which tells me it sounds like it would be a money pit.   I would not want that one if I got it for next to nothing but you may be much more mechanically adept than I am. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

ehp

its cheap but I'm thinking if it was free it still may not be a good deal . most machines that are running start at about $40,000 and up here but not that many of them. I think there is only 1 or 2 forwarders in this area in total

BargeMonkey

I'm in your boat, I can't justify going huge on something that's going to sit alot, that's why I've kept my 230-353 jack. Right now I see processors all over, but lower hr decent forwarders are huge money. I've seen a few cleaner 4 wheel machines for 25-40K C5-230A, there's a 340D JD in CT for not bad money right now.

snowstorm

if you want simple and dependable look for a 646 valmet. the only parts from europe are the naf rears. cummins motor clark trans deere front axle with hydraulic pilot controls. mine has been super good

ehp

how much weight can a 646 rated at ? Barge Monkey, I honestly cannot see what people pay for in these new machines , how can you pay for something that cost that much ?, if it was up north I would just skid to where the log truck could pick the stuff up but now in some cases we cannot skid across the fields when not frozen and if frozen then the truck could get it . I really donot want to spend anymore than $40,000 and less is better

BargeMonkey

Friend of ours just threw down on a new 574, 420k. This guy out back has 2 forwarders, a 2384, 648H, and a almost brand new 528 with a log max 7k head. Yeah they put the wood out but the payments and insurance has to be so heavy that a couple bad months and your into your kids college savings to keep going. I just brought my 230 home, friend of ours used it for just what your talking about, too long of a skid and wasn't worth tearing up a few good fields for 8-10 lds of good logs. How's that new firewood processor going ???

barbender

They are straight up production machines, designed as part of a system where there is 40+ cords of wood put on the landing day in, day out. If they're not, you can't pay for it. The only times I've seen my boss get upset is when my machine stops moving. He doesn't care what parts I have to get, or if I have to have Ponsse come out, just "get the d&@$ thing running!"  ;D 
Too many irons in the fire

snowstorm

Quote from: ehp on December 13, 2015, 08:17:44 PM
how much weight can a 646 rated at ? Barge Monkey, I honestly cannot see what people pay for in these new machines , how can you pay for something that cost that much ?, if it was up north I would just skid to where the log truck could pick the stuff up but now in some cases we cannot skid across the fields when not frozen and if frozen then the truck could get it . I really donot want to spend anymore than $40,000 and less is better
646 is rated 12 ton 116 hp

ehp

the processor is sitting right where it was dropped off, I played with it and set the relief valves back to where they are to be which someone had adjusted but the wrong way , now it works ok I think. I still have not went and gotten the rest of the stuff for it , just no time as were going 7 days a week . I was logging close to home now I'm 35 minutes or so away starting today . I sent a couple emails out to places that have forwarders so we will see

ehp

anyone have a 230A with cummins motor and 66 inch floation tires on it , there is one 5 hours north of me for sale . How do those big tires work as never been around anything running them, does the cummins have enough torque to move the load

ehp

its so wet around here to work so went 5 hour drive north and looked at the 1010, motor is good it seems , loader seems strong and fast but a lot of problems , Machine has a zillion hours on it and to put back into shape I would want to run I think would cost a lot of money

supertrucker

646 valmet, you can buy them reasonable, wicked good on fuel, parts are decent, and not that bad to sit in all say.
2006 westernstar, 1989 LTL 9000, 3406B 425, 8LL, 1994 Stoughton chip wagon, 2011 John Deere 1510E, 2011 pmi trailer, 2003 serco 7000.

Thank You Sponsors!