iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

HD engine that has not run in 6 years.

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 09, 2011, 02:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I've got a rebuilding project of my own.  It's an 00 Road King that did a somersault down an embankment in Colorado back in '08.  A buddy of mine is coming out next month and we're planning to tear it down and start making a list.

I fired it up last year - she still ran fine.  I know that she'll need a new fork assembly and various sheet metal work; not sure yet about the frame.

I plan to have it running by the summer; wouldn't mind taking it to Sturgis this fall.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

Scott is that the bike your friend was hurt on?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

scsmith42

Yup.  I plan to rebuild it, ride it for a year or so myself, and then give it to his son.

Raider Bill

submarinesailor

Scott,

When I read your post about the fall this morning, I meant to ask if you had fallen or was it someone else.  Glad to hear it was someone else but sorry that he went down.

Fix it up real good for his son.

Take care.

Bruce

Raider Bill

I believe the Rider [Scotts friend]  did not survive the wreck.

If I over stepped here Scott my apology.

Weekend_Sawyer

Good to hear it Scott, sorry to hear about your friend.
Remember, with out pictures it didn't happen! Lets see it.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

scsmith42

Jon, right now it's burried in the back corner of the shop, covered by sheets, so no pix yet.  I can post a picture of it covered if you want, but it might be kinda boring...  :D

Bill - you did not overstep, but thanks for asking.

I am not ashamed to say that it was a very emotional moment for me when we started it up last year...

Bruce - will do.

moonshiner

Its great to see things resurected from sad moments,The feeling from it is a wonderful one and the moment will last forever.

Raider Bill

Jon,
Did you mention having a Mustang saddle on your 03 Road King? Got a pix?

I need another saddle, this stock on is shot even with a gel pad. Can't decide what to get.

Some have suggested a Sundowner.

scsmith42

Bill, I had a Mustang saddle on my Softail, and really liked it a lot.  Sure beat the heck out of the stock saddle on "Iron Butt Club" trips too.

Raider Bill

Thanks Scott, Mines getting worse. 200 miles last Sunday and I've had enough.
I looked at some via the internet but hate buying one without sitting on it or having a recommendation. Jon had the same bike as I do and he's a big boy too.
I want one that has no seams or buttons on top, preferably a wide deep bucket 2 up.

scsmith42

Man, you should have gone up to Daytona Beach last week for Bike Week.  Lots of dealers up there, and Mustang always has some factory booths.  I seem to recall that they set up near the bike shop on the south side of downtown.

Raider Bill

I ordered a Mustang ultra wide 2 up last night.

Even though Daytona is only 3 hours away I haven't been to "trailer "week in a few years. Save all my away time for Tenn.

RynSmith

Mooseherder

The last time I rode my Fatboy to Daytona was in 2002.
I left it there on trade Dog for Dog on a 1959 chevy Pickup.

Raider Bill

RynSmith

:D :D :D :D

I have to remember to show that to my riding half!

Weekend_Sawyer

Bill, I think you will like that mustang seat. I have been running them on my last 3 bikes and love them.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

scsmith42

Bill, I can relate.  The last time that I attended Bike Week ('07) I left the farm in the morning and rode straight through to the Keys.  A little over 1K miles in a day.  Should have gone for "iron butt club" status on that ride, oh well.

I'm planning to ride Bill's reconstructed bike out to Sturgis this year; should have some nice, long riding days on that trip.

BTW - we're down to the frame on Bill's bike - looks like I dodged a bullet as the old frame looks good.  The rear trailing arm appears to be bent though. 

Will try to get some pix's posted soon.

SS

bama20a

BTW - we're down to the frame on Bill's bike - looks like I dodged a bullet as the old frame looks good.  The rear trailing arm appears to be bent though.

SS
  Done that one time,& it all started just because I wanted to put chrome lifter blocks on it, 8),then well while I'm here I'll build the motor,just as well install a chrome transmission housing,ol' well might as well paint it,front end just don't look right,go a head & put a 2" over on it,Anyway 3 years later I had it back togather & a nice bike :D :D :D,Mark
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Raider Bill

Quote from: scsmith42 on March 18, 2011, 01:50:47 PM
Bill, I can relate.  The last time that I attended Bike Week ('07) I left the farm in the morning and rode straight through to the Keys.  A little over 1K miles in a day.  Should have gone for "iron butt club" status on that ride, oh well.

I'm planning to ride Bill's reconstructed bike out to Sturgis this year; should have some nice, long riding days on that trip.

SS

1K a day is Iron Butt riding for sure. We have guys here that trailer the bike to Daytona 3 hours. I just don't understand that. If I was coming from the North or a long distance in the winter then a trailer maybe a good play but just a couple hours........

When I judge Bike shows I always give extra credit to the guys that ride their bikes over the trailer Queens.

Are you talking about the swing arm being bent?

scsmith42

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 19, 2011, 10:17:54 AM
Quote from: scsmith42 on March 18, 2011, 01:50:47 PM

SS

Are you talking about the swing arm being bent?

Yup.  I need to pull it and compare it to a good one to be sure.

Raider Bill

Well I got the new Mustang saddle yesterday. Took it out for a ride last night. Not sure if I like it or not. Sits me up higher and more forward plus it feels strange on the butt but that maybe just the difference in design.
Time will tell I guess. I'll give it a nice long ride this weekend before I decide if I keep it or not.

Thank You Sponsors!