iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any of our Aussie freinds follow the PBR?

Started by sandhills, January 09, 2011, 10:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

Ben Jones is doing great in Madison Square Garden this weekend, after Saturday he is sitting 2 in the event.  I'm sure tonights show is done but I won't get to see it until tomorrow night.  My wife is an AVID fan and I follow along as best I can, I always liked him a lot, I'd love to see him win a world championship.

Tom

I thought the Aussies were Fosters fans.  Pabst Blue Ribbon doesn't have the following that it use to have, but I'm glad to hear that they are creating a Championship out of it.

sandhills

Quote from: Tom on January 09, 2011, 10:56:07 PM
I thought the Aussies were Fosters fans.  Pabst Blue Ribbon doesn't have the following that it use to have, but I'm glad to hear that they are creating a Championship out of it.
PBR-Professional Bull Riders only tour, I wouldn't bet them boys don't have a beer drinking contest every now an then though Tom.  ;)

WildDog

Hi Sandhills, unfortunately I don't have pay tv (miss it :(put the money towards a mortgage on some more land) and only get a couple of free stations, I did manage to see Ben Jones's magic 91 point ride on Voodoo Child, he was one happy Bull Rider and deservingly so.

Not to take anything away from the pro stuff but I tend to like the layed back local rodeos these days, theres plenty of talent and decent stock without the fan fair.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Faron

Quote from: sandhills on January 09, 2011, 11:43:28 PM
I thought the Aussies were Fosters fans.  Pabst Blue Ribbon doesn't have the following that it use to have, but I'm glad to hear that they are creating a Championship out of it.
PBR-Professional Bull Riders only tour, I wouldn't bet them boys don't have a beer drinking contest every now an then though Tom.  ;)

Chris and I attended an event a few years ago.  We ate supper in the hotel restaurant,  as did many of the bullriders.  About six of the young guys sat at a table near us.  They were laughing and giving each other a hard time.  After we left, Chris said, "You know, I was surprised.  Not one of them was drinking alcohol!"  She was pretty impressed with that until I reminded her not one of them was over 19 years old, and could survive carding. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

DanG

Betcha the story would be different if there was a tailgate and a little clearing in the woods involved. :D :D

I'm with Tom.  I didn't realize you could have PBR piped in through the tv cable.  'Course we don't have cable way out here, so we still have to get it in cans.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sandhills

WildDog I agree.  Watching the show last night 2 of the riders were holding up a can of something or another sports drink for their sponsors after they rode, thought for a minute I was watching the end of a NASCAR race or something.  Around here there is a lot of local rodeos throughout the summer and also good talent and good stock contractors.  I follow the PBR mainly because my wife loves it and it's one thing I can stand to watch on tv.  I like Ben simply because of his excitement when he rides good and the fact that he doesn't pitch a hissy fit when he doesn't.  A lot of the riders on that circut shouldn't be allowed on tv IMO, they could learn a lot from him.  If you're gonna be tough don't go off stomping and throwing things around like a little baby, just shrug your shoulders, figure out what you should've done, smile at the camera in your face and walk away (of course I can say this because I've been there so many times ya know  :D). 

Roxie

I'm a fan of rodeo's no matter what format they use, so I seldom miss a televised PBR event. 

Ben Jones is our favorite for all the reasons that Sandhills mentioned.  There is just something wonderful about watching a man do something that he absolutely loves whether he succeeds or not! 

When he was being interviewed after the event and had come in second in the event behind Valderon Olivera, the interview went like this:

Sports guy:  It was an impressive weekend for Ben Jones, who told me before that ride, 'go big or go home.'  You knew what you could do, was it frustrating (to watch Valderon ride) for it to be out of your hands?

Ben Jones:  No not at all.  Valderon, congratulations to him, he is a great cowboy.

THAT'S a cowboy!   smiley_horserider
Say when

sandhills

Sorry, I know this is an old topic, but after seeing Ben's interview tonight I couldn't help but bring it back up.  4 broken ribs and he covered his bull last night like nobodies business, that's just tough.  If he doesn't get the world champion I hope Austin Meyers does, they're both class acts.
P.S. I really think they need to quit following JB around with the cameras, or kick him off the PBR, cowboy up or leave, my .02

Meadows Miller

Gday

I do not follow it all the time but when it comes up on tv ill watch there is a show called Landline down here every sunday that dose a story every now n then on how the Aussies are doing on the PBR circut I recon they are keen Im abit mad but you wont' find me strapping myself to a bloody bull  ;) :D :D ;D ;D ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Roxie

We're really hoping Ben Jones takes it all the way this year.  He is such a wonderful ambassador for Australia. 

My favorite rider from the States, is LJ Jenkins.  He was the first ever to ride Reindeer Dippin. 

I agree with you Sandhills that the 'cowboy throws a tantrum' is not helping the sport.  That was almost unheard of several years ago and it's become enough of a problem that I wish the PBR would impose fines or ban them from the next competition. 
Say when

sandhills

Meadows Miller, back in my younger days I always wanted to try it, rode a few bareback broncs and that hurt bad enough I'm glad now that I never got the chance to get on the bulls.  Heck it takes me too long to heal these days if my saddle horse decides to pitch a fit  ;).  I still love watching these guys though, they truly are unbelievable athletes and about as tough as they come.

Hanson

DanG it thats what I was gonna say as soon as I saw the title :D :D :D

Meadows Miller

Gday

Roxie your spot on there Ben is a top ambassador for Australia  ;) ;D ;D 8)

With the Fosters Larger its not the best stuff we have and has not been too popular over here its cheap n nasty I dont like it   :) I do have a Mate I grew up with that lives in Windsor Ont now who says the Fosters there aint bad and alot better brew than it is here  ;) ;D Im usually A Victoria Bitter (VB) or Calton Draught drinker when I drink  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

WildDog

We used to muck about and ride a few bulls when we were younger. I like the introduction of armour and head gear these days. Especially for novice riders.

Chris I'm with you on the Fosters, but then again I'm no judge of beer prefering Tooheys Red, ;)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Roxie

L.J. Jenkins won the round last night with 92.25!  He's number ten in the standings, and I can't wait for tonight.  Sure hope he takes the event.   :)
Say when

Dale Hatfield

We watch as we have family that work for the PBR and Stock Contractor friends that haul bulls to the shows.
Ben Jones is a household fav..
The PBR has a new producer this year. Their are a lot of people that don't like much of what has been changed ,me included. Im sure that VRS  is now part of NBC sports group. A lot of the drama that is shown im sure part of the production.
I however spent 10 years riding bulls  ,I can understand the blowups after. You can spend hours getting ready for  something that lasts  seconds.  Its a major crash of emotions when things don't work out in your favor. Taking it out of the arena is fine and having a fit  behind should be that riders right, not having a camera trailing him back. To show the world  what kind of fit hes having. Show me the next rider and tell  me about whos bull is next .
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

sandhills

L J did it for ya Roxie!  Ryan Mconnell had a good weekend too, he's one of our favorites also.  Bens still gotta be my favorite though, wish his season could of kept rolling the way it started out.
Dale, good point.  It really probably is more the cameras than the riders, and I know the stakes are high, but it's almost always the same ones they follow out.   I wish a few of them would figure it out and hold off long enough they quit following them around, like you said just show us the next ride.

Thank You Sponsors!