iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Processor bars

Started by Firewoodjoe, October 16, 2014, 07:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate379

Yes, its Alaska Birch which is sorta a hybrid if paper birch and river/black birch.  23.6 million BTUs per cord according to AK Dept if Forestry.

I grew up in Norther Maine so I know what you mean.  There birch is consider almost to be junk, much how we treat cottonwood here.

Maine logger88

Yeah I sell most of my birch for HW pulp cause people don't like much in there firewood like barge monkey said a few logs in a load is fine but any over that and people complain.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

beenthere

Quote from: Nate379 on November 11, 2014, 04:37:37 PM
Yes, its Alaska Birch which is sorta a hybrid if paper birch and river/black birch.  23.6 million BTUs per cord according to AK Dept if Forestry.

I grew up in Norther Maine so I know what you mean.  There birch is consider almost to be junk, much how we treat cottonwood here.

Paper birch is about 4 million BTU's per cord less than Black birch, but with cottonwood at 12-13 million, not too similar to Paper birch. All give about the same heat per pound of dry wood. So have to lug around a bit more volume to get the same heat.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nate379

beenthere

Won't argue over a million or so.  ;D

These numbers are very general, at best. And only relative in terms of something to rank various woods high to low.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nate379

Was having some trouble with my processor not cutting right.  It wanted to cut crooked even with a good sharp chain.  I thought maybe I didn't have my chain grinder dialed in right, but a brand new chain was giving me the same trouble.

I pulled the bar off and found that for whatever reason one rail had worn over 1/16" more than the other one.  I've never had that happen, so not sure why.

I trued it up on the chainsaw bar grinder and pinched the rails back together (they were spread a bit) and now it works like a champ.

I have about 340 machine hours on this bar, though I wonder if the hour meter works correctly.  I sold just under 500 cords last year and I've done about 240 so far this year.  I can't see 740 cords in 340 hours, that doesn't make sense!
In any case it's original to the machine which I bought brand new in June 2013 so almost over 1.5 years of use.  Still has plenty of life left in it.

Nate379

As far as the rail grinder, we have this one at the shop, just an older model.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Bars/Guide-Bar-Maintenance-Tools/Bar-Rail-Grinder-with-Grinder-Wheel.axd

This for pinching the rails:
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chainsaw-Bars/Guide-Bar-Maintenance-Tools/WoodlandPRO-Chain-Saw-Bar-Rail-Closer.axd

Lost the old one we had and I just bought a new one.  I paid $45 for it a month ago... go figure now on sale for dirt cheap!

Thank You Sponsors!