iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winch and Ice chains finally!

Started by Novascotiamill, December 20, 2017, 07:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novascotiamill

I finally got a chance today to install my winch and ice chains on the Kioti.
I decided to open the return line on the winch and flush out the old fluid,whatever it was,pumped out about 3/4 gallon of dark fluid then it cleared up. Got everything greased and it works like a top
Then i installed the ice chains,it was first time putting chains on,no instructions in the box! , hope they stay on,they seem to fit fine. The front chains were too short by 14 inches,had to contact the supplier to see what happened there
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

isawlogs

After a few hours of running around, you will need to tighten them up. Gainning a link won't be hard, I take up a link on the inside, the outside you may not be able to take a link. Nice tractor, those tongs from Princess Auto???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Novascotiamill

Yup , I used them on some small stuff seem to work ok,I wouldnt grab anything heavy with them,got a couple chokers to put together
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Grindlux band sharpener
O

thecfarm

I can't really tell how big your tractor is. Pictures are sideways.
Maybe 30hp??
I have 6 slides on mine. Sometimes I could use more,sometimes I only use one. I have six 8 foot chains. Which all of the 3 pt winch companies do that, ::) send it with 8 foot chains. Kinda like putting a 18 inch bar on those small saws. Just makes it look bigger,when it's not. Mine came with six 8 foot chains. I think now most of them are down to 3 chains. But even if I hooked up 3 eight foot logs that required a 8 foot chain,it would still be alot for my tractor. I made up six 4 foot chains. Those get used more than the 8's. Much easier to use,less chain to pull through the key hole of the slide.
Do not and I repeat,do not winch in from a sharp angle. You can tip your tractor over. I was dumb enough to try that on one of my trails. Just a small tree,maybe 6 inches across. Everything was fine until it came up against a root. The tree stopped and I just kept on winching. Tree was not moving,but the tractor was. By the time I came to,it was on 2 wheels sideways.  :o :o Never again. I take the time to turn the tractor towards what I am winching. Lower the winch,lower the loader and set the brake too.
I see you have snow. This happened with snow on the ground.I set the winch,loader and brake and started to winch. Mine I pull a rope to make the winch work. Little did I know that I straddled a dead fir on the ground. When the winch really started to pull the tractor slide back a couple feet. Which is odd,the winch blade should of dug in. Than I noticed the dead fir I was on. No big deal,but just goes to show you what can happen.
Don't look back to long at a time. That twitch gets caught on something,that front of the tractor will start to rise on you,quick.Real quick.
You can also make a rolling turn. Hard to explain,the hook needs to be on the correct side and down low. When you winch it in,the hook will come to the top,and what part of the tree was on the ground should be on top. Really helps out limbing. And it keeps you from having a stub plowing the ground and making it harder to pull.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

You might find a peavey/cant hook and a snatch block will be extremely useful. The peavey to move logs around a little to avoid obstacles, get things lined up, and such. The snatch block to redirect your line in tight woods and avoid pulling at a sharp angle like cfarm says

Here is a self release snatch block in action

https://youtu.be/FolkTDUZvi4

gg

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

BigRackSlayer

Quote from: Novascotiamill on December 20, 2017, 07:26:40 PM
I finally got a chance today to install my winch and ice chains on the Kioti.
I decided to open the return line on the winch and flush out the old fluid,whatever it was,pumped out about 3/4 gallon of dark fluid then it cleared up. Got everything greased and it works like a top
Then i installed the ice chains,it was first time putting chains on,no instructions in the box! , hope they stay on,they seem to fit fine. The front chains were too short by 14 inches,had to contact the supplier to see what happened there

What kind of winch is that? I have the exact same tractor and love it. Here's a couple mods I did to it for holding chains and a chainsaw as well as a cant hook or pruning shears. I have ice chains as well will be testing them soon. Wouldn't mind some info on the winch you have I like it.

Novascotiamill

I picked up the winch from an old farmer who bought it 15 years ago and never used it once. The thing is made in quebec by gerard couture ent. But are now out of business,its hydraulic. And runs off the rear remotes , I like the fact that I dont have to rev the engine into the high rpm pto settings,the winch works well at low rpms. I dont know if you would find another like it,however there gre lots around that size but probably pto powered. I like where you put the tubes but ill need a differant spot for my saw,I sometimes get on and off on that side. How do you like the tractor?
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Grindlux band sharpener
O

BigRackSlayer

Quote from: Novascotiamill on December 23, 2017, 12:48:02 PM
I picked up the winch from an old farmer who bought it 15 years ago and never used it once. The thing is made in quebec by gerard couture ent. But are now out of business,its hydraulic. And runs off the rear remotes , I like the fact that I dont have to rev the engine into the high rpm pto settings,the winch works well at low rpms. I dont know if you would find another like it,however there gre lots around that size but probably pto powered. I like where you put the tubes but ill need a differant spot for my saw,I sometimes get on and off on that side. How do you like the tractor?

I like that it's a small nice size winch looks to be a perfect fit for the 2610 we have. I don't plan to getting on or off that side that's why I decided to put it there. The tubes work great and are out of the way for storing chains and tools.  I like the tractor a lot fits my needs just perfect, how are you like your tractor?

Novascotiamill

Its my first real tractor,ive had a skid steer and a 3.5 kubota excavator 15 years ago. It works great and quality wise is as good as kubota for sure.Im contemplating the backhoe option if I can find out how it digs stumps. Where do you store your cant hook? Im going to put a few ammo cans painted up nice for dry storage line them so things dont rattle. Do you carry the chains in the tubes?
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Grindlux band sharpener
O

Novascotiamill

I notice you also got the floor mat , the dealer wanted 260.00 I think for it,I wasnt happy after dropping 21k on the tractor and few xtras I got.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Grindlux band sharpener
O

Novascotiamill

I also ditched the flimsy slow moving vehicle sign,mine rattled,im gonna mount something usefull to the bracket
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Grindlux band sharpener
O

BigRackSlayer

I had a 1964 mf 35 before this tractor and it defiantly paid for itself but being 2wd and no power steering I wanted to be able to keep my cabin/bush lot road open which is very hilly. I was going to get the backhoe as well but just couldn't justify the extra coin for it when my brother in laws dad charges me 200$ for a full days work with his little backhoe. I do store my chains in the tubes. I haven't tried a can't hook in a tube yet but I'm hoping it will fit in the smaller tube I have mounted. The floor mat was part of the deal along with having valve stem gaurds installed on the front tires and rear remote block heater tool box rear tires loaded cutting edge on the bucket also two hooks welded on the front bucket. My slow moving sign rattled too along with my rops but I haven't done anything with it yet to stop it. I will be though it's very annoying lol. I'm thinking of adding another tool box or replacing the one that came with it with a bit bigger one. I'm also gonna do something so I can carry a rifle or shotgun with me.

Novascotiamill

Is the shotgun for bandits or bears? Should be able to put a gunboot on the rops maybe
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Grindlux band sharpener
O

thecfarm

I put my saw right against the support for the loader. Don't know if you have room for it. I try to keep things on the side that I get off and on,but the gas and oil is on the other side.

Than the gas and oil on the other side.

And than the wenches. I do have one on each side of the tractor.

I have boxes so my chains don't drag. You might be able to see a round bar in the box too. I dig out rocks too. And that can be used to pry out a rock or pry a log over too. I myself like to keep stuff on the left side of my tractor. I do not want to walk around my twitch to get to the bar or a cantdog/peavey.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BigRackSlayer

Quote from: Novascotiamill on December 24, 2017, 08:04:01 PM
Is the shotgun for bandits or bears? Should be able to put a gunboot on the rops maybe

Haha it's for both lol

BigRackSlayer

Quote from: thecfarm on December 24, 2017, 09:30:00 PM
I put my saw right against the support for the loader. Don't know if you have room for it. I try to keep things on the side that I get off and on,but the gas and oil is on the other side.

Than the gas and oil on the other side.

And than the wenches. I do have one on each side of the trcator.

I have boxes so my chains don't drag. You might be able to see a round bar in the box too. I dig out rocks too. And that can be used to pry out a rock or pry a log over too. I myself like to keep stuff on the left side of my tractor. I do not want to walk around my twitch to get to the bar or a candog/peavey.

I wanted to mount my saw on the loader support but I could not figure out away to mount it. My support is different then yours. I do like your oil and fuel set up. That's another thing I have to figure out where to put that on the tractor.

g_man

Mine is like Ray's. This is how it is mounted. I had to put it at a slight angle because of the cross bar above. You could bolt it to the frame if you don't weld or find a friend who can.

gg

luvmexfood

Quote from: Novascotiamill on December 23, 2017, 11:09:14 PM
I also ditched the flimsy slow moving vehicle sign,mine rattled,im gonna mount something usefull to the bracket

If they can't see that orange tractor pretty good bet they wouldn't see the slow moving vehicle sign. Maybe some reflective tape.  Better have one just in case you get in an accident on the road. Flashing caution lights might suffice legally.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

mike_belben

Im pretty spoiled when it comes to space on the dozer.. Could easily zip tie 4 milk crates on the flat hood too. 

In summer i keep a shotgun wedged between the seat and hyd tank for copper heads

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!