iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 362CM ?

Started by sweetjetskier, December 27, 2013, 07:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Sorry to go off topic again Paul, but I know 2 dealers local, one selling Stihl the other Stihl and Husky. Both are saw/logging supply shops and full service centers. Also, the former being our sponsor at the bottom of this page. ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

H 2 H

Quote from: SawTroll on December 30, 2013, 01:30:45 PM
Quote from: Paul_H on December 30, 2013, 01:09:54 PM
Brand Bashing does nobody any good so let's keep it clean and accurate. I want to hear more first hand experience with the MS362's.  :)

That's correct, but someone is more interested in discrediting me than to discuss any facts, true to his habit from that other chainsaw site...... ::)

Yeah lets talk about FACTS - lets say brand bashing on a host of other chainsaw sites  8)
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

chet

Let's keep the the personal attacks out of here as well.  :(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Andyshine77

I owned a standard 362 and ran a 562 for a few minutes, so take my opinion for what it's worth. Both are fine saws, both felt similar in weight with tanks full. Both also had quick acceleration and similar power. My 362 was easier to start hot. The 562 felt a little better in the hands and was better balanced..

To say one of these saws is categorically better than the other is simply false.

Andre.       
Andre.

sweetjetskier

Quote from: Higgins on December 30, 2013, 11:47:27 AM
Quote from: sweetjetskier on December 27, 2013, 07:29:29 PM
I see Stihl has the 362CM listed on their site.

Has anyone here run one yet?

Chris

Yes, there are a few of us who have run the new 362C-M I have about 15 tanks of fuel through mine. So far it seems to be an excellent saw. I have not had any problems with the saw and have been impressed on how well it runs, even in the cold (down to -26F). It starts on the second pull, almost every time. I personally like the feel, the balance, and the power. I've said before, it is a fun saw--the more fuel I put through it the more fun it gets.

I am particularly interested to see how the Stihl performs in the heat of summer. The Husky 562XP (which I have ordered) reportedly suffered from use in heat. (I should disclose, the previous statement is based on owner statements taken from this forum, last summer). Although, I have not had an opportunity to test for myself, so please take that with a grain of salt. The rev boost feature found on the 562 interests me. Other than that, the husky and Stihl appear to be a very similar animal.

Regarding weight, the Stihl is published as .43 lbs heavier (12.57 vs 13.0). To me, this is negligible. To someone else, it may be a deal breaker. But, at the end of the day, we're talking a weight difference similar to a cup of water. Perhaps, when I have both units together, I'll do a scale test.

If you are specifically interested in the MS362C-M, I'm sure you will be very happy with it. It has better air filtration than the standard 362, the m-tronic seems to work well, the saw feels as though it has more power (subjective), and mine has very good fit and finish. Over-all, being that it is a new product, it is a bit early for me to fully endorse it. But, so far I am pleased.

Personally, I don't care what shade of orange the unit is, so long as it is dependable, reliable, and makes me money. I'm sure the 362C-M will replace your beloved 036, nicely.

I hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Thanks for the reply.

I had a demo 441C-M for 2 months in the spring, so I have some time with a M tronic saw.

The M tronic's are a big improvement over traditional carbs in my opinion.

Main thing is the strato saws are super tight from the factory.

So the saws need 15-20 tanks to really loosen up and make big power.

The 441C-M had 1 tank through it when I picked it up for a demo.

After 2 months, the saw had 4 gallons plus of fuel through it and power increase was very evident.

The 441C-M has tons of torque, smooth power band, great AV, sips fuel, balance with a 20" b/c is good and a much improved air filter setup.

The 362C-M is my next demo saw, when I get one, I will do a write up on my observations.
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Higgins

Quote from: sweetjetskier on December 30, 2013, 09:04:26 PM

The 362C-M is my next demo saw, when I get one, I will do a write up on my observations.

I look forward to reading your impressions, especially if you acquire an "article version".

CRThomas

Quote from: SawTroll on December 30, 2013, 11:39:20 AM
There are Stihl dealers, but they all are hardware stores/box stores that have no inherant service. What I once said is that the good ones (or decent ones) are gone.
With the current breed of Stihl saws, they simply weren't able to compete with the Husky and Jonsered dealers, I assume.
In my area they have 4 Stihl Dealers and they have a saw machanic when there open. A log fell on my saw i took it to my dealer. Next evening working behind my sheald a horn blew turned and it was the machanic with my saw repaired. I said how much I owe you we send you a bill. Tyhats service thats the reason I us Stihl

FWPT

[/quote] In my area they have 4 Stihl Dealers and they have a saw machanic when there open. A log fell on my saw i took it to my dealer. Next evening working behind my sheald a horn blew turned and it was the machanic with my saw repaired. I said how much I owe you we send you a bill. Tyhats service thats the reason I us Stihl
[/quote]

Now that's what I call service!!!!!  If only there were more Stihl dealers like that around!
Husky 42 special ported(screamer)
husky 372xp xt muff modded

Stihlnorm

The MS 362 is available in both an Arctic version as well as an Arctic Wrap. The air filter can be converted to the HD2 canister style filter with about $30 dollars worth of parts.

Beefie

Quote from: Stihlnorm on January 02, 2014, 06:25:35 PM
The MS 362 is available in both an Arctic version as well as an Arctic Wrap. The air filter can be converted to the HD2 canister style filter with about $30 dollars worth of parts.

But can you get a Arctic wrap here in the states? I have seen 362 with heated handles but no 362cm heated handles. This is one that is on my bucket list to have some day.

Beefie

CRThomas

Quote from: SawTroll on December 30, 2013, 11:39:20 AM
There are Stihl dealers, but they all are hardware stores/box stores that have no inherant service. What I once said is that the good ones (or decent ones) are gone.
With the current breed of Stihl saws, they simply weren't able to compete with the Husky and Jonsered dealers, I assume.
This is a false statment all our Stihl Dealers have on site mechanics they are very informed of there products. They will spend time with you till your happy

CRThomas

Quote from: sweetjetskier on December 30, 2013, 09:04:26 PM
Quote from: Higgins on December 30, 2013, 11:47:27 AM
Quote from: sweetjetskier on December 27, 2013, 07:29:29 PM
I see Stihl has the 362CM listed on their site.

Has anyone here run one yet?

Chris

Yes, there are a few of us who have run the new 362C-M I have about 15 tanks of fuel through mine. So far it seems to be an excellent saw. I have not had any problems with the saw and have been impressed on how well it runs, even in the cold (down to -26F). It starts on the second pull, almost every time. I personally like the feel, the balance, and the power. I've said before, it is a fun saw--the more fuel I put through it the more fun it gets.

I am particularly interested to see how the Stihl performs in the heat of summer. The Husky 562XP (which I have ordered) reportedly suffered from use in heat. (I should disclose, the previous statement is based on owner statements taken from this forum, last summer). Although, I have not had an opportunity to test for myself, so please take that with a grain of salt. The rev boost feature found on the 562 interests me. Other than that, the husky and Stihl appear to be a very similar animal.

Regarding weight, the Stihl is published as .43 lbs heavier (12.57 vs 13.0). To me, this is negligible. To someone else, it may be a deal breaker. But, at the end of the day, we're talking a weight difference similar to a cup of water. Perhaps, when I have both units together, I'll do a scale test.

If you are specifically interested in the MS362C-M, I'm sure you will be very happy with it. It has better air filtration than the standard 362, the m-tronic seems to work well, the saw feels as though it has more power (subjective), and mine has very good fit and finish. Over-all, being that it is a new product, it is a bit early for me to fully endorse it. But, so far I am pleased.

Personally, I don't care what shade of orange the unit is, so long as it is dependable, reliable, and makes me money. I'm sure the 362C-M will replace your beloved 036, nicely.

I hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Thanks for the reply.

I had a demo 441C-M for 2 months in the spring, so I have some time with a M tronic saw.

The M tronic's are a big improvement over traditional carbs in my opinion.

Main thing is the strato saws are super tight from the factory.

So the saws need 15-20 tanks to really loosen up and make big power.

The 441C-M had 1 tank through it when I picked it up for a demo.

After 2 months, the saw had 4 gallons plus of fuel through it and power increase was very evident.

The 441C-M has tons of torque, smooth power band, great AV, sips fuel, balance with a 20" b/c is good and a much improved air filter setup.

I am a MS180 / MS :new_year:262 / MS362 Stihl saw Bars are 16 / 18/ 20 I am happy. I don't think I need a MS441. I cut down and cut up two 42 inch pecans i have about got them all cut in to firewood. Next the farmer has nine more same size I feel no problem doing them to

sweetjetskier

Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

ladylake

Quote from: Andyshine77 on December 30, 2013, 05:30:11 PM
I owned a standard 362 and ran a 562 for a few minutes, so take my opinion for what it's worth. Both are fine saws, both felt similar in weight with tanks full. Both also had quick acceleration and similar power. My 362 was easier to start hot. The 562 felt a little better in the hands and was better balanced..

To say one of these saws is categorically better than the other is simply false.

Andre.     

Nice honest report.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

strongsaw

Picture of the Stihl filter looks like automobile style. Echo uses that style on some models and has for several years. I always liked the design. The newer models CS-500 and up are using a 2 piece design, I guess are OK, but don't appeal to me.
The Stihl filter should be easy to service.  Greg

SawTroll

Andre.     

That's an old story, and I believe it was proven a little later that the 562xp involved there was a substandard performer, with some issue. It happens, with any saw model!  ;)
Information collector.

Andyshine77

Quote from: SawTroll on January 08, 2014, 02:15:54 AM

Andre.     

That's an old story, and I believe it was proven a little later that the 562xp involved there was a substandard performer, with some issue. It happens, with any saw model!  ;)

It may have been a dud, but it seemed to run just fine. Maybe my 362 is an above average runner, maybe the 562 is overrated, maybe the moon and stars weren't aligned right. My friend I was simply offering my opinion based upon my experience with both saws. My opinion is, both saws are for the most part, equal.

Andre.
Andre.

ladylake

Vids are on youtube also , the 562 cut a hair faster than a 361, real close , no night and day difference.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on January 08, 2014, 12:06:33 PM

Vids are on youtube also , the 562 cut a hair faster than a 361, real close , no night and day difference.   Steve

A 361 is a better saw than a 362, specially if it isn't as US one!  :)
Information collector.

sweetjetskier

So, it would be such a change of pace to not have ST Stihl bashing !!

JohnG28

Quote from: SawTroll on January 08, 2014, 12:12:52 PM

What's the difference between the US and EU models?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

7sleeper

Quote from: SawTroll on December 30, 2013, 01:30:45 PM
Quote from: Paul_H on December 30, 2013, 01:09:54 PM
Brand Bashing does nobody any good so let's keep it clean and accurate. I want to hear more first hand experience with the MS362's.  :)

That's correct, but someone is more interested in discrediting me than to discuss any facts, true to his habit from that other chainsaw site...... ::)
If I may add a comment to this topic. I truely believe that the only one discrediting you is you. By constantly flamming against all other opinions(see below) you are just making a fool out of yourself. And that should not be the case because.

Quote from: SawTroll on January 08, 2014, 02:15:54 AM

Andre.     

Quote from: SawTroll on December 30, 2013, 02:46:01 AM
The cm version hardly is lighter and neater to handle, so the model remains as uninteresting as it always was. This is a model that only hard-core Stihl fans (and uninformed people) are interested in!  :)

7sleeper

Quote from: JohnG28 on January 12, 2014, 11:17:34 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on January 08, 2014, 12:12:52 PM

What's the difference between the US and EU models?

As far as I remember the difference is the muffler and the coil, but I may be mistaken.

Other than that, in german threads the pros speak very highly of the 362mt compared to the regular 362. So there seems to be an improvement besides all "belief".

JohnG28

I sort of figured the muffler would be more open and see hr had a 361w, which is the Arctic version, right?  Didn't know is any other differences in the models though.

Thank You Sponsors!