iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got them both now

Started by getoverit, March 28, 2006, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

I brought home some old rusty iron today, that I hope will be a bandmill to mill all of the small logs that I seem to have found. 

I seem to be getting a lot of calls lately with people that have just 4 or 5 logs, and all of them on the small side.  I really dont want to move the Peterson 10" mill to another county just to mill 4 or 5 small logs, so I made this purchase today. It needs a fresh coat of paint, some wire brushing and some TLC, but it looks like it should solve the problem of hauling a mill to a job for a few small logs. It is trailer mounted, home made, and completely manual, but for what I purchased it for it should work fine. As time goes along, I plan on adding some hydraulics to it.

Because it is so "rough" looking right now, I'm going to wait a few days to get some paint on it before I post any pictures. There will be before and after pictures coming ;D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

tnlogger

Hold on there now we needs before and after pics  :D
gene

getoverit

Well ok, you twisted my arm...

I told ya this thing is rusty though.... it will look and run like new in a few days

I promise!

brdmkr

I am a bit jealous.  I think you have a great combination.  I like the swinger a lot for bigger logs.  It is really fast to be all manual, but I don't like it for the smaller logs.  Sounds like you have the best of both worlds.  Congratulations.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

IL Bull

Am I getting old or did you forget to turn the flash on? :o ;D :D
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

getoverit

Nah, I had the flash on, but the DanG thing was so rusty it just didnt turn out all that well.

I spent the afternoon pressure washing, wire brushing, priming and painting the "new" mill.  It still needs the enging mounted and some TLC, but at least it does look respectable now and not just like a pile of rusty junk.  I'll work on mounting the 16hp briggs engine later this week and then give it a whirl to see how she cuts

Flurida_BlackCreek

Orange!!!???? I like the rust betterer......
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

sawguy21

Looks more red to me but at least it's painted. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

getoverit

It is a bright red... I think they call it "safety Red". It was painted with rust stop red primer, then a coat of the rust stop safety red afterwards. I didnt have much choices in colors in the rust stop paint, but somehow I just couldnt bring myself to paint it yellow. They did have an orange, but was out of stock on it... so it turned out red.

getoverit

By the way....

A few years ago I bought one of those Wagner power painter pro spray painters, but havent found a good use for it until now. I painted this thing with a really thick coat of paint  with the wagner, and it didnt take me long at all to do it. I used more paint than I had planned, but that is no problem. It took a gallon of primer and a gallon of red to do the trick. when it dries, it should last for a really long time.

Chris Burchfield

Congradulations. Nothing in  the world wrong with red. It just makes you want to put lights and siren on it. :D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Jeff

That is red for sure! I like red :)   Ken, what is the diameter on the band wheels on that feller?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Flurida_BlackCreek

Ida went with yella. That way you could refer to it as the B.U.S. and people would think it's cuze of the color.
I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

metalspinner

That looks like it can handle a good sized log.  What is the distance between the guides? ???
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

getoverit

Ive been milling with the Peterson all day, and just got cleaned up from that, but here are the dimensions:

the bed will handle logs a little over 17' long

the band wheels are 15"

the guides will spread to 37"

the rails are 44 1/2" apart.

It will have a 16hp briggs and stratton on it soon, and I talked to the local junk guy today about buying some hydraulic cylinders, pump and 4 way control levers for it. Looks like it will be relatively inexpensive to make this a hydraulic mill  ;)

This is a home made mill, but I didnt make it. I was told this mill has several thousand bf ran through it already, and the previous owner upgraded to a WM LT40HD and it has been sitting for quite some time. It never had been painted after it was built, and I can see the value of the rusty steel :D  I hope that it will serve me just dandy after I get everything running. I am told that this mill uses standard WM blades, either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2". I've got to get more details on the actual size of the blades though. Right now it uses a lever for a clutch, but this may change after I get to using it to an electric clutch or a centrifugal clutch.

I pulled it home without a tag or lights on it (got lucky I guess), but it now has lights on it. I'll have to take it to the local landfill to get a weight on it before they will issue me a tag, but I dont think this will be too expensive.

I'll update this as time goes along to keep everyone posted on the progress.

Jeff

You have to have a license plate on a portable mill in Florida? We dont.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

customsawyer

Down south here we don't have to put a tag on much of anything you just can't get caught. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

getoverit

well, I went to the tag agency and asked, and they said yes... perhaps I should go to the police dept and ask?  What does Tom know about this subject?

jpgreen

Don't ask, don't tell Ken...  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

JimBuis

Put a "slow vehicle" triangle on the back of it and if stopped, explain to the nice police officer that it is not a trailer but a piece of agricultural equipment.

IMHO,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Part_Timer

Ken

Nice looking mill.  do ya think those smaller logs will be easire to cut on that one?

We just made it back an hour ago.  I'll post some pics for ya to help with that mountain withdrawl.

Congrats again

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Tom

A pretty good bit, even though I keep my mill tag in the cab of my truck.

Trailers must be tagged.  Manufacturer's are supposed to supply a Certificate of Origin and identify the trailer with a serial number that is used to purchase a "Title" and a Tag.

Homebuilts must be weighed and are supposed to be DOT inspected before applying for a Tag.  Below a certain weight, all that is required is a Tag.  Above a certain weight requires that you, the manufacturer, assign a serial number to the trailer and apply for Title.

When I started, I was told that the tag sufficed for taxes in that the equipment couldn't be multiple taxed.   It was either to carry Road Taxes (tag) or Tangible Taxes as being a part of a business.  The rules have apparently changed and now, along with the tag, I am liable for over $200 a year in tangible taxes.  The tax assessor was expecting an argument from my wife and began to be very intimidating with her, almost to the point of being threatening.  She's smarter than that though and just wrote the check.  We also have a county Peddler's license which allows me to be a service business.   I also must pay sales tax on any out-of-state purchase through an assigned and monitored "User Tax Number", which is comparable to the rules for collecting sales tax by a retail business.  I paid sales tax for my mills, parts, blades and any other purchase where the State of Florida doesn't collect the tax from the out-of-state company.  Currently that amounts to 7%.

Paper work for the user tax number is filled out and supplied to the State Government by my wife and is subject to fines for non-compliance and fees for lateness, whether there were any taxes incurred or not.

DanG

I only have one trailer tag and it stays in the truck.  I have 3 trailers, but can only pull one at a time.  In Fla, the cut-off point is 1800 lbs empty weight.  Under that, you simply register it as a home-built utility trailer, under 1800, and drive on down the road.  Above 1800, you have to have a weight slip and pay according to that weight.  When I bought the famous $300 trailer, I figgered it was a bit over that, so I went to buy a new tag.  The nice little lady at the tag office says, "It's under 1800 pounds, isn't it?"  I say, "Well, ahh, err."  She say's, "Yeah, its under that. ;) ;) ;) "  The registration only describes it as a homebuilt utility trailer, so I didn't renew the old tag that I had for the others.

Around here, most everybody that does anything at all just carries one of these "generic" tags in their truck to cover whatever trailer they may be pulling. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!