iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

They finally did it to me

Started by EZ, April 23, 2006, 09:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

I held off as long as I could, but with gas prices and everything else going sky high,I have to raise my sawing rates. Sawing for a half of a can of peas just aint gettin it.
EZ

Brad_S.

I'm thinking about it too. Hate to even be thinking about it, but take home is getting smaller and smaller.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Tom

I might need to do that too.  How much are y'all having to pay per thousand to saw now?

getoverit

If I wanted to saw creosote telephone polls, I could get whatever I asked. I guarantee you I have had no less than 20 people ask me about sawing them up for them, of which I have turned down all 20.

on pine, I am getting $.35/bdft, hardwoods $.45/bdft

I have sold several loads of dimensional pine lumber for $.50/bdft

The only people that have acted like that was too much money were the ones that would have balked at $.10/bdft.  I know how much labor is involved in sawing, and if I'm not going to make money sawing their lumber, I'll just saw my own and make more.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

red

G O I

yea but you are selling sawdust  ...tooo

we could only be so lucky
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

getoverit

Havent sold any sawdust yet, but it's coming... Ihave the trailer loaded and going to park it beside the road and put a sign on it this week.

I'll let ya know if it works out.

breederman

I just paid 17.5 cents a board foot for custom cutting with a big Mizer. I am sure that when I talked with him last fall he told me it would be .20 cents. I can buy rough cut pine and hemlock at a mill for .45 cents.
Together we got this !

ARKANSAWYER

Looks like I am as well.   I just filled up the cans for Wanda with $30.25 in gas last night and that will last me two days.  :o  Use to burn $40 a week with 6 days sawing but now I am pushing $80.   Looks like I am going to jump $0.05 a bdft the First of May.   Paid $2.85 for diesel for the truck so I am glad that I am not running the road as much or set up fee would have to double as well.
ARKANSAWYER

tomboysawyer

Anyone can sell sawdust through their regional Materials Exchange. In Florida you should use SWIX: http://www.wastexchange.org/

It is free to list stuff and you'll probably have a number of commercial users who will buy ever bit of sawdust you make. Sawdust is in high demand.

jpgreen

Gas here is $3.19, and you think Diesel would be less.  Not in California..  ::)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

getoverit

diesel has been more than gas for a long time here. It is strange that right now diesel is cheaper though.

solodan

I've been paying $2.99 for diesel in my neck of the woods, and I am happy about it, cause I was paying $3.20 a few months back :-\. This past week we have finally seen diesel drop below the price of gas ::) so JP, I think it should happen up your way soon. I actually think gas prices are probably cheaper out here when you compare the price of everthing else. Noone seems to balk at the price of anything out here ???

DanG

Thanks for the link, Tomboysawyer! 8)  I found a contact that is advertising for wood waste, and they're only 25 miles away.  I'll be contacting them as soon as the lunch hour is over. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jpgreen

Personally-

I don't have a problem with paying for the gas prices but what I do have a problem with is what it's doing to our economy and the price increases for shipping etc., and materials are going through the roof.

Aluminum and steel is skyrocketing... right when I'm going into manufacturing. 

This is not good for anyone..  ::)

I say... DanG!!! ...... ;D

Murf

We have started doing a lot of custom tractor work the last few years, everything from driveways & bush-hogging to finished grading and even small plots, both for two-legged and four-legged critters.

I started getting grief over 'fuel surcharges' so I went about it differently.

I put the prices down by what fuel used to cost me, but now the tractor shows up full, and the customer pays to refill it when the job is done.

No more arguements, they see exactly how much it costs.  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

jpgreen

That's a great idea Murf, but how do you measure out the gas at the end of the job?

Murf

JP, the machine arrives full, right to the brim, and the customer is responsible to get it back to that point.

Some follow the machine to a station and just pay the fillup, some know roughly what it will take and pay in cash, others have their own tanks, or jerry cans. I leave it up to the customer, makes 'em happy to have their choice.

solodan

JP,
You are so right about the price of everything else, and I know steel is expensive right now. I think we  are all going to have to pass on the cost to the customer. My wife needs some plumbing done asap at her new building and I am just to busy to do it myself. Well the only plumber that showed up quoted her $110 an hour. :o The biggest problem I see is that some people are not raising there prices accordingly. Some are just out to gouge someone. :-\

jpgreen

For cryin' out loud Dan... $110?

I'm in the wrong business..  :D

sawguy21

That is about what the major car dealerships are charging here. The concern I have with Murf's idea  is the thought of using whatever the customer pours out of his jerry can or farm tank. Last years boat gas, gas/oil/diesel/paint thinner mix... ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Frank_Pender

They have nothing available in Oregon. :'(
Frank Pender

Murf

Sawguy, I don't do work for people like that.  ::)

Most of the folks I do things for fall into two categories, 1) the folks that just got too old to do it themselves, or 2) the folks that can't afford the time, time off work, or the cost of the equipment to do it for themselves.

jpgreen

Frank-

I went up to Portland week before last to pick up a piece of equipment and I think I paid $2.65 and they pump it for you too.  Plus Diesel is cheaper!

Californians are getting screwed.  Then they charge more to add this MTBE that is now found to pollute ground water far more than anything ever has, but you think they could just stop adding it to our fuel?  No.  That would make to much sense.

Oregon, simply has an attendant pump your gas to limit spillage..  ::)

solodan

But ya know JP there going to charge us more when they finally take the MTBE out. ::) The folks in the Tahoe basin already know this, as they can not sell MTBE gas in the basin, and they probably pay more for gas than any of us right now. Maybe we should get out now and just move in with Frank, I hear he has plenty of room and lots of logs for us to saw. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!