iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too much smoke.

Started by John Vander, November 11, 2015, 10:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

I was cutting some cedar. I noticed quite a bit of smoke coming from the bar. My oiler is working fine and I always check it before working. I make sure the chain tension is correct too. I've hear someone say that Stihl oilers don't give that much oil into the bar, resulting in a bit of heat. I don't force my saw into the cut as well. Cutters and rakers are also set O.K. Any suggestions? I'm puzzled :-\.
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

HolmenTree

You may have a cedar species in Japan that has lots of oil (sap) in it . It might be burning off your hot muffler while cutting.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Kingmt

My Sthils are a bit lean in oiling the bar. I usually use half a tank of oil to a tank of fuel. With the exception of the MS660. If that saw is vertical I use about 1/2(oil/gas) but if it is horazonal I use just under 1/1.

Is your bar getting blue spots on it? Is the saw climbing to one side of the cut like the cut is moving to the left or right as your bucking?
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

DMcCoy

There is an adjustment screw on mine (026, 036) for bar oil.   It was deep in a hole near the oil tank.  Sorry this is really vague, I only found it by disassembling my saw and have since forgot where it is exactly.

John Vander

Thank you for the replies gentlemen. Japanese cedar does have a lot of oil (my working jackets & PPE being well stained with it as evidence), and sometimes I've noticed the saw moving off a bit to the side when cutting horizontal. When I cut vertical (plunge and put the dogs in) the cut is pretty straight.( I take great care into sharpening my chains and making sure the bar is in in good shape. Puzzles me why the saw sometimes turns off it's course.) I have sometimes wondered if it is good to pull the saw out of the cut and rev it a couple of times to allow more oil into the bar.

Andyshine77

Well it sounds like you're chain is fine. Make sure the bar rails are square, and the bar grove gap is correct.
Andre.

John Vander

I'll check that out. Thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!