iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

using forklift

Started by xlogger, June 27, 2016, 06:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

For the first time I've got to use my forklift to unload a tractor trailer load of logs. My bobcat with grapple will not go over the sides high enough. Has anyone done this much? I'm scared it will take longer than the driver wants to wait. I'm almost thinking about telling him to drop the trailer in case on slides off in the direction of the tractor. It's too far for him to come back and get trailer later. The load is going to be cedar and most logs will be 10-15" and suppose to be 16 ft long.
I remember years ago when I was young the smaller sawmills only had forklifts and most loggers hated to go to them for unloading reasons.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

starmac

I would think 16 foot logs would be doable. I have not tried it for two reasons. The shortest logs I ever haul is 32 foot but typically 47 to 53 and with my rig I can't unhook the trailer and move the truck.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Gary_C

It is simply amazing how many things you can destroy with a forklift and unloading logs is one of the most dangerous things you can conceive. Unless you have a clamp or hold down and an especially good ROPS for protection on that forklift, you can easily kill yourself among other things while trying to unload 16 foot logs from a trailer. Just inches off from the balance point and those logs will go everywhere but on the forks. They will roll, tip and slide off at the worst times.

Don't do it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

starmac

While I have not wanted to unload tree length logs with my forklift, I do load my mill or logdeck with up to 20 footers with zero problems, and have unloaded 20 footers off of smaller trailers with zero problems.
Mine does have a cab, but if you get a log over the mast on to the cab, you have done something seriously wrong, infact I don't know how you could.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Tom the Sawyer

About half the logs that come to my mill are in trailers with sides (or sometimes in a pickup bed) and I have a forklift.  I found an attachment called a "spotter" for the forklift.  It is a frame that you put the forks in and it has a 2" receiver, originally for hitch balls.  I found a 2" hitch for a clevis and use that to hang a set of tongs (actually switch between 2 sets, small and large). 

It does limit the effective lift capacity since the tongs are out at the tip of the forks but it wouldn't be too hard to add another receiver back closer to the forks.  On big logs I can also lift the end with the tongs and drag it most of the way off of the trailer.  Then I drop the spotter (set it on the ground and back away), come from the side and pick it up with the forks.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

xlogger

yes I know it not the safe way to unload but I do have a cab for my protection, so I was not worried about that just the slow process of unloading. My forks slide out pretty wide but still from time to time I know if you try to unload too many at a time one can slide off to the side.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

xlogger

Got it done this morning took about 1 1/2 hour, not so bad to do. Just have to more careful.

Cedarman

I recommend getting forks with log clamps.  We routinely unload tractor trailers.  The clamp allows grasping the logs off center, but still keeping them on the forks.  Multiple cedar logs can be grasped. 
We also have a set of ramps that will let us unload tall sided trucks.  We also have a dock the trucks can side up to and this gives us 3 1/2' so unloading is really easy on tall trucks.
1/2 hour to 45 minutes is normal unloading time for tree length.  5 ricks of 8' can take a little longer.  8' you must be careful as a log can go sideways and into the cab of the skid loader.
Years ago we unloaded with an ATV forklift.  It was slow, but we did not have log clamps then.  The mast kept logs away from the operator if anything happened.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

gspren

A lot would also depend on the forklift itself, some are BIG. Back when I had an official job we had a large machine delivered on a flat bed and when we told the driver there was a forklift on the way from our weld shop he said "you can't pick that thing up with a forklift" he was sure surprised when the forklift got there, 12' wide and heavy enough to pick up the entire flat bed with the machine on it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!