iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Say a prayer for Michael

Started by Bro. Noble, June 17, 2002, 05:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

Michael is a good friend of our family (especially of my daughter).  He left this afternoon for Rolla Mo. to meet with other youn men and women who will fly out of St. Louis for the fires in the West.

They will spend about 3 weeks working 16 hr. days and sleeping in tents. He was a little nervous about going as he hasn't traveled or flown before.  What a wonderful experience for him and service to all of us.  If the rest of them can work like Michael they will get the fires out.

We all should be proud of our young people working in the forestry field.  Be thankful for them and say a prayer for all of those fighting the fires.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

I'll chip in my prayers for Michael, and all the other fine people who are putting themselves in harm's way to protect life and property. They don't get nearly enough credit for their hard work, let alone the danger involved.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Yes, my heart goes with them.

Tillaway

Don't sweat it.  I have been to many when I was younger. I was one of the hazard tree fallers.  We looked forward to it.  In fact I wouldn't mind going myself.  Maybe I should run down and get on the list.

It can be intimidating for the firefighters sent from the East coast.  They are not used to the size of our little hills.  Also they are usually kept out of the most hazardous stuff unless they are short handed in that area.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

RavioliKid

The people out west and the wonderful people going out to fight those fires have been on my mind a lot.

I'll mention Michael by name in my prayers.

RavioliKid

swampwhiteoak

I'm sure Michael will have a great time and return safely.  Trips out west are always fun.

Tillaway is correct in that they usually don't put the eastern crews in the worst spots.  For the most part all type 2 crews on large incidents don't get the glamorous jobs.  We call ourselves the Buckeye Mopshots.  With any luck I'll get to go out in July.

Tom

If you're so lucky I'll send you away with a whisper to the "man" too. ;D

Bro. Noble

Thanks for the prayers and encouragement,

When Michael left, he didn't know where he was headed.  The forest service has since told his family that the plane landed at Reno so we assume he is working on the fires in N.Calif.

Michael has experience fighting fires here in the Mark Twain National Forest and recieved additional training for his trip west.  He was told he would probably be in a type 2 crew.

We know Michael is having a great experience.  Our concern is about the whole situation, not just Michael.

Ron Scott

Fire fighting is an excellent experience for any young person.

If he has had fire fighting experience on the Mark Twain National Forest, he should have received good training as they are a "hot" forest in this region.

Just obey the 10 Standard Fire Fighting Orders and the signs that say "Watch Out" and he will be fine. He will come home a little wiser and "richer".
~Ron

Bro. Noble

Thanks again all,

You were right Ron,  Michael got back safely last week both wiser and richer.. They are paid well asn FED well according to Michael.  He did work the fire in Calif. Just S. of Reno Nev.  He got there in time to attend the memorial for the three who died in the tanker crash there.

Michael had a very good experience,  made some good friends and gained a reputation as a hard worker and good firefighter.

He signed up to go again and expects to in a couple of weeks.

Noble.

Jeff

Noble be sure to invite Michael to our forum.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

Wow, Noble, I saw that name a shivers went through my bones.  I have a son named Michael.   It got to me for a moment.  I will include him also in my thought and prayers.  These issues always hit home real hard for some of us out here in the West.  I lost one of my students a couple of years ago in the King Mt. fire in Colo.  :'(  She had always wanted to be a fire fighter.  Those kids are the backbone of this country as far as I am concerned.  8)  They have "grit".  It is double tough for some of us that know them or are related.  :-[
Frank Pender

Bro. Noble

Michael dropped by this evening.  Thought it kinda strange since my daughter and wife are in Ill visiting my Mother in law.   We talked about the weather and haying and his work at the forest service.  He's been going in early and getting off in the early afternoon.  He offered to cut logs for me until I'm allowed to use a chain saw again.  Says he rarely cuts one over 20 inches for the forrest service and would like to get some experience cutting bigger ones.  Offered to help milk if we needed him.

Finally got around to asking for my daughters hand ( I didn't know they did that anymore).

I told him we thought he was a nice enough young man and wouldn't object if she was willing.

Boy I hope she says YES!

Noble

Jeff

I don't know why, but I am sitting here with a stupid smile I cant get off my face.
Good for Michael and good for you Noble and family!  Family trees are great too. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Frank_Pender

Sounds marvelous, Noble.  You will have a "noble sprout off the tree soon and whole bunches of little seedlings to watch grow and nurture. 8)
Frank Pender

Norm

My oldest son just got engaged, he too asked her dad for permission to marry her, I asked him if he was nervous and he said you bet!
Now when I asked my wife to marry me I knew better than to ask her dad, he was bigger than me and wasn't real fond of me dating his daughter. 26 years latter he still isn't.

P.S. Did she say yes?

Bro. Noble

Thank You Sponsors!