iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Photo Posting and Optimizing Tutorial; <<OBSOLETE>>

Started by Jeff, February 08, 2007, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Probably.  Jeff would have to confirm what the maximum starting file size is but try to get it down to 3 or 4 MB first, then use the java uploader.

LOGDOG

I've been trying to upload a pic that is 1.21 mb and it won't take it. In fact the Java uploader for seems to keep shutting down my Internet Explorer. I've had to restart like 8 times. Any ideas?

Warbird

LOGDOG

Yep Java is updated. It worked fine for the one and then kept having all the trouble. Then I realized that I had a Windows Picture Program that would let me resize and compress my pics. So that's what I did. I don't like XAT.com I always pick up some kind of trash when I download their program and in two instances I've had fatal crashes after downloading their optimizing program. Not sure if it's coincidence or what but I'm not giving it a third shot. Managed to get some pics up last night using the Windows optimizer.

pineywoods

I've run across a couple of pics that the java uploader doesn't like for some reason, not the size. Probably has something to do with my ancient os (win98) and the old version of java that goes along with it. I don't spend any time trying to solve the problem, just use xat and then jupload runs.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

I get so tired of seeing complaints about posting photos. Seems like every time I have a bad day, I get on here and there is another one.

If you can't post a photo I'm sorry. there are over 100,000 photos altogether on the Forestry Forum server, so there is a great number of members that have no problem.

If you cant post a photo and you ask for help doing so, You'll get it with out fail from another member or myself.  I've called all around the country on my dime to help people that ask for it, and invariably, after saying thank you, they say, I can't believe how easy that really was.

if you can't post a photo, and then you make a post to just complain about how good it is somewhere else, to that I say. Go there. I was going to say go somewhere a bit warmer too but decided to just be disgusted without the cursing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Every one should know how to downsize pictures no matter where they are. I'm only on dail up so I really need people to down size for me. I have cetain people that don't want to learn this easy way to down size so I told them don't send me pictures until you learn. Some just won't take the time to learn. I don't understand the complaining about it either. I did not know how to do all this stuff either until I came here. I can understand how this way is better than "other places".
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Just Me

Jeff

I kind of wanted to add some pictures to a gallery to show what kind of work I do, and maybe show off a bit, ;) but I am running Windows 98 still and Java will not let me download. Is there a way around it?

By the way, very cool site with a great bunch of down to earth folks on here!

Larry

pineywoods

JustMe, might be some other problem. I run win98 and have no problem uploading pics. One thing you might check, the later versions of java won't run on 98. You can upload pics without using java, you just have to use some other program to re-size the pics first. Try a program called xat.  It's a free down load. xat will show you the size of the pic in pixels, then scale it down to the required 500 width or even less.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

I would suggest looking in your add/remove programs and uninstalling java, then try installing again.

When you say java will not let me download, what is it actually doing?

Just Me

Quote from: Jeff on January 05, 2011, 10:06:01 AM
I would suggest looking in your add/remove programs and uninstalling java, then try installing again.

When you say java will not let me download, what is it actually doing?

I did not previously have Java on my computor, and it said that they can no longer service my antique.

I screwed around for an hour trying to figure out a way, and when I realized that I could jump in the truck and drive them down to Jeffs house in less time I called it quits. Its not really all that important, my work is high end junk for the other end of the social set, and really has not much to do with sawmills other than it is wood.

To be perfectly clear, it is no problem of the forum, I am just an idiot with a computor. They have never been able to capture my interest, and so I don't learn much about them. Things change too fast for something that bores me for me to keep up. Guess I'll have to update soon as I am running into more and more "will not run on 98" issues.

Thanks guys, but don't waste any more of your time on Me.

Larry

Tom

Larry,
The optimization of pictures is worthy of learning, whether it be for the forum or not.  You will find that you can send Optimized pictures VIA email in a flash, whereas the transmission of non-optimized photos can take minutes, or more.

There are instructions on the forum for using that XAT product and it isn't difficult.  It's just a matter of doing it one time, the same as anything else new.   Just take note, regardless of how you transmit photos, that you keep the original in a special place and not change it.  It is your backup to screwing up.  Move a copy of it to a new folder that you identify as being for optimization and do your work there.

Take the time to learn how to do it.  You will never regret the effort.

Jeff

I did a little research, and I see that java has discontinued support of 98 and do not offer downloads for it because of security issues.

I may have to do another alternative video. I am working on a completely different system, but it may be a bit before bears fruit.

WoodForge

For quick and simple resizing on my desktop I use a newer version of the old XP Power Tools Image Resizer utility.  After it is installed, simply right-click on a photo in Windows Explorer and you'll see some resize options.

For Windows XP/2000/Vista: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp
For Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit:  http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Codeplex is Microsoft's "open source" code repository.  I use codeplex regularly for enterprise-level applications (check out SharePoint Manager 2010).  However, like any software, always scan it for viruses after you download it and use some common sense to ensure you are downloading from a reputable site and developer.

WoodForge
Still gathering tools...

Magicman

Thanks for the link WoodForge, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I needed a better one for Win7.   :)

Start an "Introduction" thread on the "General" board and tell us a bit about yourself.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Radar67

Since I started using the JUpload on the Gallery page, I no longer have to resize or optimize any of my pictures. This is a big time saver, as most of my pictures are in the 7 to 10 Meg file size range. The JUpload does all the work for you.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Magicman

I don't need the resizer for the FF, but for every other forum it is a necessity.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sprucegum

I can't believe the size of the photos I have posted lately!! Am I hogging all the band width wagon or what?

Jeff

You are under the limits, and your photos all compressed.  :)

Sprucegum

james04

This is not working for me. I am able to upload via java in my gallery. But my forum reply does not look like the one in the tutorial. it only has the attachment option that says "DO NOT USE THIS FACILITY FOR UPLOADING PHOTOS!". See the attached screen shot.

What am I doing wrong?

beenthere

Looking in the gallery for recent additions, none show up for you. Guessing they are not in your gallery?

Another interesting thing while looking at the recent additions, is they show as being listed today. These are for pics that were on the forum prior to today.  Something that may be happening elsewhere.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

Jeff will probably have to look into this one.

Jeff

This entire topic is obsolete, so don't follow anything here. I'm working out of town until Saturday so can't really help right now.  I looked at the gallery briefly on the phone and don't see anything wrong, but like I said, its from a phone.