iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New old tractor

Started by KBforester, June 19, 2012, 07:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KBforester

Traded in (even Steven) my 24HP Bolens iseki (g244) for an International 460 utility. Happy to have a tractor that I can find affordable parts for... although there are a lot more of them I need to buy! At least I'll be able to skid some wood now.

I might need some help fixing this or that. If anybody has any experience with them, I'd value your advice!
First task, leaky hydraulics....

Trees are good.

snowstorm

i have worked on a 454 gas . i would guess that yours is gas as it has no stack. do the brakes work ok?

KBforester

Yes, its a 6 cylinder gas. Not crazy about it being underneath, seems so vulnerable.
Trees are good.

snowstorm

the one i worked on was a 4cyl. exhaust manifold cracked broke in to. with the new manifold the exhaust went up. had to cut a hole in the hood. hole saw. new muffler and weather cap. the first of e10 gas must have used at least 10 fuel filters

KBforester

Brakes are ok. I drove it home, about 5 miles and the left brake stuck for a strech and started to smoke. Gave it a whack and it unstuck and stayed unstuck.
Trees are good.

Mark K

460's are a good strong tractor. We had a row crop that we used to spread manure. Started all winter in the coldest weather. Does yours have two point hitch or three point? Have a TA?
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

KBforester

Quote from: Mark K on June 19, 2012, 08:39:26 PM
460's are a good strong tractor. We had a row crop that we used to spread manure. Started all winter in the coldest weather. Does yours have two point hitch or three point? Have a TA?

Its a two point, with what looks like a home made three point adapter. Top link is defiantly home made. I'll show my ignorance and ask, whats a TA?
Trees are good.

snowstorm

Mark K

On the 460's it was a lever on the left hand side. It's a torque amplifier, splits the gears. Some had it, some didnt. Ours did, we rebuilt it a few times. Had to be carefull as ours use to freewheel on the low side of the TA. Worked great for pulling hills with a loaded spreader.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

KBforester

Yes it does. I was warned about the free wheeling in low.

Trees are good.

thecfarm

What year is that? I would like to see a picture of the 2 point hinge.  My old NAA had 3 ribs tires on front,the center one was higher than the others,made it turn better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

KB I'm a farmer so I like tractors, that one looks like a lot of fun.  Hydraulic leaks go with tractors, I swear since we started field work this spring my main "horse" sprung leaks from front to back, give it a good pressure washing and then see where the oil is coming from.  Have fun and enjoy!  (they do make TA eliminaters too by the way if you should have trouble)

KBforester

Quote from: thecfarm on June 19, 2012, 09:39:46 PM
What year is that? I would like to see a picture of the 2 point hinge.  My old NAA had 3 ribs tires on front,the center one was higher than the others,made it turn better.

I'm not sure what year it is. The guy I bought it from thought maybe late 50s. Maybe I'll find out more as I get to know it better.

I'll get a picture of the 2pt (fast hitch) some time soon.

The tires on the front look like just basic 16" car tires. They have some cracking, but hold air. I'll keep them on their till one blows, then replace them with ribbed. I've heard it makes it steer easier, although I feel like I'm in Luxury with this power steering business.  Definitely did not have that on the little tractor.
Trees are good.

T Welsh

KBforester, My first tractor was a 424 gasser, I liked it a lot. great little utility tractor, easy to work on and yes hydraulic leaks are common. My advise is to use it and get it functioning correctly and then start to pick projects that the budget and time will afford. things like a complete fluid and filter change, new hydraulic pump, orbital steering pump,strip the tins off and sandblast and repaint and decal the old girl. they are fun to restore and no all that costly compared to newer models. when done you have a new tractor that will last another lifetime. Good to see the tractor with a new owner. Happy Tractoring!!! Tim

KBforester

Tim- I was wondering about how to go about it. I intend to look at some books etc on tractor restoration, but I was wondering if "picking projects" was an ok way to go. Every time I see someone restoring a tractor it seems like they strip it down to nothing and rebuild it all at once. I wasn't sure if replacing one part at a time was some how.... not correct.

I don't intend to really RESTORE it, just fix it up so its functional and looks respectable.

Thanks for everyone's input!
Trees are good.

shinnlinger

Old iron.. run it... thats what they were built for.  As for leaks, wait and see how much fluid you really burn thru.  $40 for a pail aint cheap, but I have found that leaks that appear significant rarely dip the fluid level that much.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Clam77

KB - the guys that strip them down to the bones and do it all at once are the guys that can afford to spend several thousand at once.

Doing it in steps like T Welsh said keeps the costs down and still lets you use the thing as you need to.  It'll still run without the tin on it- not so much stripped down.   :D

Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Okrafarmer

That model was made from about 1958-1962. We used to have a 340 and a 240, which were the smaller brothers of this model. Sometimes these IH's of the time period were a little too complicated for their own good, but it is a hoss and will definitely pull some logs. You can fix things one at a time, no problem. Hydraulic leaks will give you fits on any tractor, but like somebody said, check to see how much you are actually losing. If not much, you may be better off to check and top off every once in a while.

Our 240 we sold is still working up in Unity, Maine. The 340, I don't know, but it may be up there in Maine still too.

The TA lever-- if it works properly, is good. Do not allow it to get in a free-wheeling situation, and do not tow-start it in low range. I've heard that either of those two conditions are what typically breaks the TA. And they do break frequently. Using the tractor as the owner's manual  :P indicates will probably not break the TA. Use the tractor in high range all the time unless you need to downshift on the go. Then shift back up again as soon as you can. Never use low range going down hill, or when towing it or popping the clutch.

Be sure to use safe logging techniques-- them woods are dangerous out there.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

T Welsh

KBforester, Run it,play with it and use it. Old iron is there to be used. Make sure your fluids are full and use it,find out what is wrong with it while playing with it and then start down on the list. yes,there will be a list. sluggish steering or sloppy.hydraulic leaks or a poor running or starting engine,(sticky brakes) the more you use it the pain in the a-- problem will tell you which one to fix first. As for painting her and making it pretty, Yeah its nice to do and they look great afterwards and it is best to do it all at once. But the draw back is, when you do and she is all gussied up you wont want to get her all scratched up or dirty :D. Tim

Al_Smith

Those old tractors if you keep oil in them and don't let them freeze up and crack a block will almost run forever .Now periodically you'll have to turn a wrench on them but it's not usually a big thing .

davch00

The first tractor I can remember driving it a Farmall 560. My grandpa bought it new in '63 and it's been in the family ever since. Although I'm sorta looking for a 706 or 806 I think the 560 will always be my favorite. IH built some tough tractors back in those days. As far as the hydraulics leaking, I know Hy-tran is up around $65 - $75 a bucket, but unless its just pouring out i would leave it be.

Okrafarmer

You should be able to get it for less than that.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

shinnlinger

I just bought 5 gallon pail at tractor supply for $35
Shinnlinger

davch00

You can't get hy-tran at tractor supply. What they sell is suppose to be compatible but it does not have the water retention that Hy-Tran does. You have to go to a Case IH dealer to get it.

shinnlinger

Davchoo, 
Going to ask you to back up that claim, or is that a case ih specific thing?
The stuff I bought, and have bought for years says tractor hydraulic transmission oil.  I was under the impression the military makes all oil companies manufacture to the same specs for compatibility.  Do you want to retain water in your oil????
Shinnlinger

Thank You Sponsors!