The safety of ammunition

Started by Texas Ranger, December 19, 2012, 10:03:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

terry f

Thinking hollywood aint real

WH_Conley

I don't know why you would doubt Hollywood.
Bill

Magicman

When we burned the remains of my Grandparents old home, I had forgotten that my Brother had a stash of reloaded 44 magnum cartridges in a back closet.  It sounded like a young war going off as hundreds of rounds exploded when the fire reached that area.  I found puddles of hardened lead in that area during the cleanup indicating that the lead stayed and the cartridge shells had been projected.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Right, Lynn!

If subjected to fire, an unsupported cartridge will detonate and which ever is lighter, the case or the bullet, will be the one that takes off.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

When a real young lad (5-7), I and my brother would grab a handful of Dad's 22 ammo and go sit on the sidewalk and hit them with a hammer. Made a loud noise and parts went somewhere. We'd do that with the caps from our cap guns too, but the 22 ammo made a much louder noise.  ;D
One time we were doing that on the neighbors back porch steps. He came to the door and immediately ducked back in the house, opened a window and yelled out how dangerous that was. Guess that part hadn't occurred to us until he pointed it out.
So we quit doing it.
Live and learn, and be lucky learning it.
It did give the hammer a good rebound, if I recall correctly. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

The time I got in trouble for .22 ammo was I got caught pulling the bullets with my teeth, then using a match to launch the casings across the driveway like a little rocket.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on December 20, 2012, 01:23:34 PM
The time I got in trouble for .22 ammo was I got caught pulling the bullets with my teeth, then using a match to launch the casings across the driveway like a little rocket.

Oh my goodness....... :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

trapper

Quote from: Jeff on December 20, 2012, 01:23:34 PM

For lighting the powder or wrecking your teeth?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Jeff

Still got all my teeth, although one in the front has a chip, but that happened biting off fishing line for goodness sake.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Cypressstump

We used to take 12 ga. shotgun shells, and insert them crimped end first into the clay bank on the other side of the river, then take turns shooting the primer ends with a open sight .22 long barrel bolt rifle. You knew when one was hit dead on........... :rifle:
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

thecfarm

beenthere and Jeff,you made your parents proud.  :D
beenthere's great idea   :D , I can see how he came up with it,but Jeff's great plan of action????
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

I will exercise my Fifth Amendment right to not incriminate myself. I will only say that penny wrappers full of black powder and 11 year olds with matches don't mix............ Also, eyelashes and eyebrows do grow back.......

Hilltop366

Not sure if it is true but I was told not to store ammo in a tightly sealed container (sealed ammo box or small safe perhaps), reason being is if was in a fire it could explode and being in a sealed container would make it more like a bomb than lose ammo.

Norm

The reason I had to have a front tooth replaced was too may years of doing just that Jeff.  :)

gspren

Back in 1985 I went to work at the Army's Ballistic Research Laboratory which later merged with some other specialties and became the Army Research Lab and last year when I retired I was the Chief of Experimental Fabrication for the Weapons and Materials Directorate so i was part of similar testing only much better recorded. It was a really neat job and I saw some amazing things. Now I cut firewood and play on our farm!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!