iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The "Sticker" Buck

Started by Magicman, November 03, 2012, 07:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Hopefully there will some drama associated with this buck this year.  Last year he was a 9 point with long brow tines and a sticker point on his right antler.

I have many trail camera pictures of him at night.

And I knew that he made it through our gun season.  He was seen in February, so he made it through the entire hunting season which ended January 31. 

I have been anxious to see him or at least see a picture of him this Fall.  He showed up while I was in Colorado.  I captured pictures of him on both trail cams.  One within 50 yards of the Cabin back door and in the daytime.

I see 12 points this year, and he is still sporting the long brow tines and the sticker on the right side.

PatD says that he is hers.  That may very well be, but we did not see him during the hunting season last year.  Time will tell, and as I said above, maybe we will have some drama this year. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

I wish we had his mamma up here. I'm of the opinion that the doe is about as important as the buck when it comes to the offspring.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I agree, and that surely is one thing that can not be controlled.

We saw 18 deer last evening, and 5 legal bucks.  Only one 8 point, but two wide (probably brothers) 6 & 7 point bucks.  I am sure that they were from the same gene pool as PatD's buck from last year, whether from the male or female side.

Just a wide forkie with brow tines.  The two last evening were very similar.

A buck of that age should be an 8 point if the genes are correct.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I've taken care of a deer ranch website for about ten years, and this fellow swears many of the bif antler traits come from the mammas. He says he has priceless does that are artificially inseminated by various males over the years, where the buck fawns still carry given traits that are were not traits of the fathering bucks.

As you said though, not something you can control in the wild.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

It would be neat if we have two "sticker" bucks, but I really do not think so.  We watched this one eat around the Cabin last year, sometimes at less than 40 yards, but it was before the season opened.

I did have some trail cam pictures of some nice 8 pointers, but most were taken at night.  I will not be able to add any more corn to the feeders, so when I go back, I will remove the batteries.  The turkeys will be sad.

clww

That's a fine looking deer for sure, Lynn. He looks like maybe he's smaller in body than the year before to me. What do you think?

CHANGE-Maybe not the year before, but since last winter.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

I agree.  I know that we have not gotten our acorn crop yet and that is the real fat builder.  The antlers, especially the brow tines appear shorter in that picture.  Maybe I will get some more pixs of him that will show different angles.

I know that it is a possibility, but I can not believe that there are two of them with that same sticker.  If PatD gets a chance, there will certainly be one less.  Well not just her, but any of us for that matter.

clww

It's hard for the rest of us to guess the sizes. Only the land owner knows where the camera is set up, and how big that certain tree is in the background to estimate the size of animal "X" in their pictures. It's really great that you can watch a particular animal for a few years in their natural surroundings.
Speaking of acorns, we had one of the largest acorn crops I've ever seen in the mountains this year. Not only the number on the ground, but the size of the acorns, too. I've got two chestnut oaks near the outhouse that are about 50 feet tall and 12"DBH. These two were producing acorns as big around as a quarter. I thought it would be a lean year as dry as it was this summer, but not the case. Nearly all nuts were on the ground by the 10th of October, too, which is earlier than usual. I'm looking for a cold, wet winter.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

What is a sticker buck?
I am not suppose to tell,but you guys are OK. We don't get alot of big bucks like you guys do in my area. Stepson has one on his camera at 5am behind my house. He has not seen him yet. But that buck did not get that big by being dumb either. He can only shot a buck.No doe permit in this area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I named him the "Sticker Buck" because he has an odd sticker point sticking out 90° from the right G2 antler.  Some of my pixs show it quite well.  Look at the top (last year's) picture above and the third picture which was taken this year and you can see it.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

MM-He looks to be a main-frame 8 pointer. He gets another sticker or two, and he can be a non-typical. :)
What's your guess on his age?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

I doubt that he is more than 3½.  I saw him at 40 yards last year before the season and he was not mature enough that I would have shot him.

I have shot at least one 6½ year old buck but ours rarely get over 4½.

This buck was only 3½, and was 23" outside spread.  Notice the similarities of the brow tines.  The majority of our bucks are heavier on the right side.

clww

I think I may have seen a picture of that nice looking buck before. Maybe those guys are related? Cousins perhaps? It's interesting how it's larger on the one side, though. You have grown some very respectable deer and turkeys down there.
On the public land in the mountains here, 2 1/2 years old and 140 lbs. is probably the most common age harvested, having more than 6 points. The last really big one that I took with a bow and mounted, was a 7 1/2 year old, 13 PT. Actually, that guy's the oldest deer I've taken with anything. This fellow was on public land that very, very few ever hunt- as in Mountain is TOO STEEP. That was in Jan. 1998. WOW! That was a long time ago, and I was younger, too. I need to go back to Colorado and shoot something BIG! ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

The fact that I have a 1½ mile border between land that I either own or lease and land that is in a state sponsored deer management program really helps with our deer management.  This lets our 2½ year old bucks become relatively safe.  There are the odd adjoining land parcels that have no control, but nothing is completely safe and fool proof.  I would rather things to be the way they are rather than the way they could be.  Many folks have the attitude that "if I don't shoot it, someone else will".  That way, everyone shoots immature bucks.   :-\

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on November 03, 2012, 07:36:21 PM
Hopefully there will some drama associated with this buck this year.  Last year he was a 9 point with long brow tines and a sticker point on his right antler.

PatD says that he is hers.  That may very well be, but we did not see him during the hunting season last year.  Time will tell, and as I said above, maybe we will have some drama this year.   

And indeed he was hers.  I felt that in addition to the full story in the "Magic Bucks" thread LINK, I also needed to put the final chapter about the "Sticker Buck" here.

Trail camera picture of him on 10-08-2012.

And on 12-22-2012.  12 points, 17¾" inside spread.

Corley5

Nice buck  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!