iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

truck tire wisdom?

Started by srt, September 25, 2008, 11:09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srt

My 99 silverado half ton 2 wheel drive is nearing 65,000 miles, and will shortly need new rubber.  It came with P25570R16 tires, that are basically car tires (max pressure 44 psi).  I'd like to put LT tires on it, something I could put some air into, more like what I have on my 1 ton trucks.  At the same time, it wouldn't hurt me, I don't think, to go a little taller.  Most of the time, I drive this truck for transportation, but occasionally, I'll pull a 16' stock trailer that may contain lumber or a couple steers. 

The sticker on the door says use the tires that are on it.  I'm asking you folks for some wisdom here.  I can get sold something that will fit at any tire dealer.  What do you think about upsizing (a little) and going with a heavier LT tire?

Raider Bill

I drive a 01 silverado, went with a 8 ply tire same size and really like them. The ride is mostly the same but I don't worry about sidewall damage when carrying heavier loads.
Truck make the 742 mile trip from Florida to Tenn every month.
I keep 65 lb psi in them.
Taller tire may throw off your speedo some.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Onthesauk

I did the same thing on my 99 Dodge Ram.  In researching it, everyone seemed to think one size up was OK, anything more then that was probably not.  Got to make sure you have room around the wheel wells when you turn sharp.

Have often had the sense that they put undersized tires on the bulk of the new trucks just as a cost savings issue.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Rocky_J

look at the weight ratings on each particular brand and size of tire you're considering. Not all tires are created equal and different sizes of the same brand tire will have different weight ratings.

With a half ton truck, most decent radials in that size will handle all the weight you could put on the truck anyway. On my F150 I'm running Michelin Cross Terrains (an SUV tire) and it rides quiet and smooth like a luxury car. But I can also haul anything I want within the limitations of the truck itself without worrying about the tires. I think putting 8 ply tires on your half ton Chevy will result in a worse ride with no appreciable benefit. You'll bottom out the springs before you need all that tire capacity.

I don't buy there, but I use www.tirerack.com to do research on tires and do my shopping before going to the local tire store to buy.

DanG

I don't think it would hurt anything to go a little bigger, but the size you're riding on now are pretty big for a half-ton truck.  They are bigger than the ones on either of my one-ton trucks.  I would go for the LT models, regardless of the size though.  Be sure and get the metal valve stems installed when you do.  At the higher pressure, the rubber ones tend to blow out if you hit a pothole.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SPIKER

I just wanted to post this on a side note:

as a new trend in Large truck tires and other heavy tire mfg:
there is new trend to imbeded RFID chips (like what is used on dogs/cats & in some places cattle to ID when tire was made as well as track them mileage all kinds of info; this is gaining a lot of ground over in europe and asia. also note that stateside the push is to require all feed stock animals to have this for same tracking and animal birth to death history all stored on the chips.  Also there is a way to now track them using GPS (developed for places where kidnapping is popular) so you can see where you're teenage daughter is at every min;)  lol 8) :D

AIDO & DIGA is symbol for anyone tracking the stock market both are at 52 week lows.
Mark

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

rebocardo

You basically have a 30x10x16 tire. Though it is a fairly small tire as truck tires go, I would not recommend changing the size unless you go the whole route of having you or the dealership reprogram your engine AND transmission CPU. Which is what is needed on your 99 Chevy (I believe) so it runs and shifts properly.

That being said, in a class D tire in your P metric size, the

BFG All-Terrain T/A KO is a good on road tire for a 2x4 in snow conditions. I have had these on ice before and they had good traction. $168 from tirerack.com

srt

Thanks folks for the info.  I think I'll just stick with the stock size, but shift to the LT.

Raider Bill - Thanks for reminding me of the valve stem thing.  I thought my dad mentioned something about that to me years ago, but he's gone now.   Appreciate the info and for bringing back another good memory of my Dad.

I'm thinking about adding a set of air bags for the rear to help when I get a little carried away loading it instead of using one of the 1 tons.  Not a lot carried away loaded, just a little.  I realize I still need to stop the thing.  Anyone have any thoughts about the airbags?

Raider Bill

I'd love to take credit for those words of wisdom but thank Dang instead of me.
It is a great idea and wished I had thought of it 2 months ago when I bought new rubber for my 1500.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

srt

Thanks for straightening me out RB.   So,  the  award rightly goes to ...... DanG!  Thanks, DanG!

rebocardo

I have used 5k airbags before on my wood truck. Just 1/2 ton axles off road with a load will break eventually. Mostly because the housing flexes. If you have an eight lug axle full floating axle, then go for it.

Thank You Sponsors!