iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rather Bad News

Started by Ernie, October 04, 2008, 12:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

Last Friday, our middle son, Chris asked me to drive him to the doctor's in town as he couldn't see properly.  Turns out that his blood pressure was 245/172 and the brain swelling caused by the high blood pressure was affecting his eyesight.  We rushed him to the hospital for tests only to discover that he had virtually no renal function.  He stayed in Intensive care for five days while his BP was stabilized and further tests were done.

Chris is only 29, an avid surfer and accomplished musician/song writer with a great future ahead of him.  He is now on the list for a kidney transplant and goes into the hospital three time a week for dialysis, today is his second day back home and his first outpatient stint of 4 hours on the dialysis machine.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Tom

Ernie,
A sick child is every parents fear.  I will sincerely pray for his good health.

I know it's tough on you too.  I'm on your side and will "want" with all my heart that you and he and your family get over this successfully.

Ernie

Thanks Tom

He is surprising positive but has warned his older brother to "sleep with one eye open" since he needs a kidney :D :D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Tom

Do they know what caused the failure?  Is there any hope it might start working again?

DanG

Gosh, Ernie!  You guys are living life on the edge down there.  I'll sure be praying for Chris's full recovery, too
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Will keep him in our prayers, and hope all goes well with the Doctors and their skills. This has to be real tough to take.

That was Chris that was having all the excitement with his neighbor a couple weeks ago, wasn't it?

Hope that fiasco has calmed down since.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

I'll be praying for both of you. 

customsawyer

I hate to hear things like this. Sure wish him a speedy recovery.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ellmoe

Ernie,

You don't know how much I hope for a positove solution to your problem. Good luck and wish your son well from all of us.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

stumpy

I'll say an extra prayer for you and your family
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

thecfarm

I wish Chris lots of luck to a speedy recovery.I will keep him in my thoughts and prayer.Is he married,family?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

I think a sick child no matter how old is every parents worst nightmare. Ernie I sure hope he gets the transplant soon so he can get better. :)

sawguy21

My thoughts are with you and Chris. Hope everything works out for him.
I showed this to Karen to put her problems into perspective as she is feeling miserable. On Thursday she slipped on wet grass, went down on her elbow and broke her upper arm. Fortunately the bone did not separate so no surgery required. Just saying as tough as it is for her, some one else has bigger issues to face.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ernie

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, this really is a great place populated by an amazing bunch of people.  Thanks Jeff for all your work here.

In answer to some of the queries.

Yes it was Chris and I who got shot at a while ago, the guy is remanded in custody and charged with a heap of offences.  Hopefully, we wont see him for a long time.

They dont know the cause of the failure of the kidneys only that it was rapid and not reversible. He wants them to put his dialysis out his side rather than the middle of his abdomen so it won't get in the way while surfing.  I am so impressed with his acceptance of the situation and his positive attitude.

Chris' fiancee is on her way back from Vancouver as I write this, arriving at 10am tomorrow, the wedding is scheduled for 21 December down at the bottom of the farm.  Looks like I have some major cleaning up of logging residue from the paddocks, we can't have guests clambering over piles of branches.

sgtmaconga

Ernie

My first wife, (i lost her back in 2003) had the same failure. her match for a transplant was her sister in law. so my best wishes for him and only this advise. get everyone in volved in asking for a donation. co-workers, friends, get with your local suport groups and offer your to others in the group. matches are not limited to losses. i'm still on the donor list down hear but will be happy to have the test for him if it comes to that. remember all we only need one good kidney please donate your organs
Measure twice cut once

Faron

Ernie,  We'll be keeping Chris in our prayers.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

alaska45/70

Ernie, prayers sent for Chris and your family.

John

ibseeker

Ernie,
  Your son will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. I'd urge you to stay as involved as possible. The more you know the better you will be able to help him figure out his choices. No matter how brave a face Chris puts on, he's in need of a lot of support. There's no one better than his Dad to help him through the tough times.

Chuck
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

TexasTimbers

Ernie,

I am very sorry to hear this.  My wife Terry has a special place in her heart for Chris already. She was a dialysis nurse until just recently when she went to work for our family business, but more importantly she is a Godly woman who is faithful to her prayer list each and every night.

Chris is her top as of 10 minutes ago. She means what she says too. I was surpirsed to hear her say this because she doesn't do that too easily. She asked me to tell you to tell Chris that she wants him to talk to at least two endocrinologists, because there are several methodologies that all sound reasonable, but have some significant nuances.

She says you don't have to feel like you are being pushy, just don't be timid when it comes to demanding exellence with your health care.

Hope this doesn't come across too strong but she is in her nurse mode right now, she wants to take control!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

crtreedude

Ernie,

Sorry to hear about the Bad News. Our son's health as well has been pretty fragile this last year. With much of this, it takes time to work out, but the first hit can been a bit unsettling.

The advice of TexasTimbers is correct. The squeeky wheel gets the grease. Stay at it.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Dana

We will be praying for your family.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

sawmilllawyer

Chris will be in our prayers and so will you. Stay strong for your son, now more than ever. God bless.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

IMERC

sorry to hear this...

the best of good wishes to your family and  son...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

TexasTimbers

Hope to hear a good update soon Ernie.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!