iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CSM Logosol "Big Mill" Vs. Granberg Alaskan

Started by 333_okh, February 15, 2007, 11:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

333_okh

I know they are a little different, but is there enough difference to warrant the cost between them?

Rail-O-Matic

I have used both mills in question here, the Alaskan is the more portable in the line up and can handle much bigger trees in more awkward places, and would require a big saw for converting the bigger trees.

The Logosol is by far the most expensive, it can handle trees up to aroung 1200kg , but logs of this weight and size would require some kind of platform or machinery to load them and be on some kind of hard and level ground, unless you had a good array of sleepers to sit it upon in the woods/soft ground.

The Alaskan CSM is very cheap and would therefore pay for itself in a single tree, it all depends on how much lumber you can require or want to cut.

The M7 Logosol is the faster cutting of the two, using a much smaller bar and chain width and would produce half the waste of a big CSM and Alaskan mill using 3/8 or 404.

The M7 has a myriad of attachments you can add to the system, but is not as portable as the Alaskan CSM.

So if its price and sheer portabiltiy you need then its the Alaskan, and if its ease of use and quicker cutting then I would go for the M7.

Logg-saw bandmill, Stihl 088, Stihl MS880, Stihl MS660, Stihl 017, 018,  Husky 385XP, Husky 395, Husky 350, Echo WES 350ES, Echo CS 27T, Jonsered 2150 Turbo, Jonsered 111S, good old saw still going after more than 20 years hard service.

oldsaw

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Thank You Sponsors!