iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hottest peppers in the world

Started by LaneC, April 08, 2018, 12:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

I have recently planted the 11 hottest peppers in the world. If anyone knows what I should do with them when they mature, please let me know :D :D. If anyone has any advice on growing them, feel free to share, I can take criticism no problem, especially if I learn something. I figure I will make a sauce with them and go from there. They can actually be dangerous from my research. You need to wear gloves when cutting them and be super careful about hand placement after handling. Anywho,, just an endeavor hopefully worth pursuing. Any advice/coaching, greatly appreciated.
Man makes plans and God smiles

DelawhereJoe

A buddy of mine likes to grow the Carolina reapers peppers, a few winters ago a mouse got to his seeds in a box in his shed and the seeds killed the mouse. He never said how many seeds he had to start or ended up with so I don't know how many the mouse ate before it burned from the inside out.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Ianab

I've been growing Ghost Peppers and Trinidad Scorpions this summer, and they are ripening now. They seem easy to grow, but they need a warm sheltered spot, lots of sun, then just make sure they have water and fertiliser. 

I have been growing mine in large plastic pots sitting against the sunny side of the house. Means if we get a storm over summer I can pick them up and move them to the shed for the day, rather than have them beaten up by the wind. 

The Carolina Reaper is a cross between those 2 varieties, and is slightly hotter. How the heck you could tell the difference is beyond me. They are all crazy hot. 

I found I could cut them bare handed, but I went and got in the shower straight afterwards. They did make my eyes water and nose run a bit too. DO NOT touch your face, or go to the toilet, before you wash up.  :o :D :D Other people are more sensitive and it will sting their hands. I only rinsed my knife too, and got chilli flavoured avocado on my toast the next day!!!

Just remember you are playing with something stronger than police pepper spray

I've made a variety of strength sauces. From merely hot, which was only 3 chillies in a pot of tomatoes, up to crazy hot, which was about a 1/4 pound of them in a smaller pot.  That one makes Tabasco seem mild  ;D

Also, when you taste them, there is about a 5 second delay before you feel the heat. 

There is a "lethal dose" of the active ingredient, but it's physically impossible to eat enough at once to kill yourself. The convulsions and vomiting will save your life before you get 1/4 way there. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

:D :D
I will take your word for it, I am NOT the one to try it. I like spice but once it overpowers the food I lose interest.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JohnW

Right.  Tabasco doesn't even register on the scale with those other peppers.

Ianab

Quote from: JohnW on April 09, 2018, 12:47:05 AM
Right.  Tabasco doesn't even register on the scale with those other peppers.
Well it does, but WAY down the scale. 
Tabasco rates ~2,000 Scoville
These chillies are 1,000,000+  :D
Police "pepper spray" comes in at about 700,000.    Amateurs.  ;D
Indian Army use these for their tear gas grenades (non lethal apparently) ... And the locals make Elephant repellent from them. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

This innocent looking little fruit is what you end up with...

Ianab

DO NOT just eat one...

OR, if you do, video yourself so we can all laugh at your reaction.  :D

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Onthesauk

Someone told me years ago, "Food shouldn't hurt!"
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

LaneC

From what I have read, the Capsacin is what produces the heat, and it supposedly tricks your mouth saying it is burning. I have eaten very mild peppers that had a small burn and I don't think it was a trick :) :). I have seen some on you tube eat them and about have to go to the hospital. Those are pretty peppers. Thanks for the replies.

Ianab

Chuck White

Quote from: LaneC on April 08, 2018, 12:36:45 PM
  I have recently planted the 11 hottest peppers in the world. If anyone knows what I should do with them when they mature, please let me know :D :D. If anyone has any advice on growing them, feel free to share, I can take criticism no problem, especially if I learn something. I figure I will make a sauce with them and go from there. They can actually be dangerous from my research. You need to wear gloves when cutting them and be super careful about hand placement after handling. Anywho,, just an endeavor hopefully worth pursuing. Any advice/coaching, greatly appreciated.
My suggestion would be to fence them in so the kids can't get to them! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sawguy21

A man went to hospital with severe headaches after eating a whole Carolina Reaper the other day. :D I'm not  that desperate for bragging rights. ::)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LaneC

I read about the guy that went to the hospital. From what I read, he had a condition, and the pepper enhanced it exponentially. I would never try eating one whole like that. Ianb, this may sound dumb, but do you drink that vodka with the peppers in it or use it as a seasoning? It seems like it would bite you twice if you drink it :)

Ianab

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 09, 2018, 09:57:14 PM
A man went to hospital with severe headaches after eating a whole Carolina Reaper the other day. :D I'm not  that desperate for bragging rights. ::)
Yeah, I read that too. Apparently one side effect of eating a LOT of chilli is it can cause blood vessels to contract. This is also what cause "Ice Cream" headaches. Ironic he got an "Ice Cream" headache from eating hot chilli  :D  But a CT scan showed restricted arteries going to his brain, which will cause headaches. So the assumption is that chillies caused it. 
Like I said earlier, I'm not the crazy. 
Quotedo you drink that vodka with the peppers in it or use it as a seasoning? It seems like it would bite you twice if you drink it 
We usually have shots around the table or fire pit. It's a good way to encourage "moderate" drinking  :D No one has yet come back and ask for a Double....  We haven't tested this brew yet, but I suspect it will have some "bite".

Also fun to put the smart youngsters in their place. Toss back a shot, wipe your brow, then watch them run around looking for milk  smiley_devil

Raider Bill

I grew scorpions and ghost peppers a few years ago. I don't eat hot but a friend had some extra seeds so I figured what the heck. Novelty.
One of the HMWHC regulars took some home and cut them up for a dish he was making. After cutting them and having a couple beers he had to pee. Apparently the was fire down below. His wife said he was in the shower a longtime.

Another guy was over for our Friday meeting and cut a dime sized piece off them popped it in his mouth. He got a bit red, eyes teared up then announced "not bad" and can he have some to take home. It wasn't his first rodeo.

I wore rubber gloves anytime I touched them.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LaneC

I will wear gloves when I cut them or handle them. Yep, that other about down below is very easy to do. Even with jalapenos, and you figure out why real quick. I am starting (eating) on jalapenos and working my way up. They say the peppers are very high in nutrition, and help with pain. I am planting some cayenne peppers also. I watered them yesterday with a little dissolved Epsom salt in the water. Do you use or recommend doing that? It is basically the magnesium the plant needs from what I have read. Also, I am fertilizing with fish emulsion. The stuff stinks bad, but they say it works real good.

Raider Bill

I just put them in pots, watered them every so often and they grew.

Ianab

I find a bit of generic vegetable fertiliser helps to keep them growing, flowering and fruiting. If things are a bit tough they set a crop, and basically call it quits, but with some encouragement you can have them still flowering when you are picking the first crop. Also depends how long your growing season is.  I get better results with seedlings started early inside, and moved out as soon as the weather is warm enough. That way you have 6" plants at the very beginning of the growing season, and they are a month ahead of anything you plant at that point. 

Woodcutter_Mo

I've grown a few Carolina Reapers and ghost peppers. If starting them from seeds, start them indoors as early as possible, like now might even be too late already depending on your zone. Here I planted them in January in the house and that worked good. I don't know if it was just the batch of seeds but they took a very long time to germinate, however they almost all came up. I've kept a few of the plants for several years. I just kept them in good potting soil with the time release fertilizers and they did well. Water them regularly but don't over water and make sure they are well drained so the roots don't rot. And make sure if there's any chance of frost, cover them up or bring them indoors as they don't hold up to cold at all.

I'm don't have too much of a green thumb, but I honestly didn't get very many peppers from my plants until the second year, the plants were alot more mature and made alot more peppers the second and third years after planting them.

The ghost peppers I grew were chocolate ghost peppers, they had distinct but good flavor. Tasted great for about 1 second until the heat kicked in lol.
 I'm not sure why, but there were a few peppers that didn't have much heat to them, and we're actually pretty safe to eat by them selves (about like a jalapeno). The hot ones I dried out and made into flakes and would sprinkle a small amount on various foods. I like the flavor of them, but they are about too hot for me.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

LaneC

I germinated them back last month and some are 1" tall. The jalapenos I did at the same time. They say the hotter the pepper, the longer it takes to germinate. I noticed that it is very true. The jalapenos are 2-1/2 times as big as the super hots, and germinated at least a week earlier. Luckily I started just in time. Hopefully not too late anyway, but I will know next year to start at least a month earlier.

Raider Bill

LaneC

Those sure look nice. My eyes are watering now :). I hope I can make some this year. At least I will have seeds from now on, even if see that they are too hot.

Ianab

Even if you find they are hotter than you like, just use them sparingly and they are OK.  Make a sauce or relish with a heap of tomatoes, some onion and capsicum etc, and just add a couple of chillies to spice it up. You can make a LOT of "warm" sauce from a couple of plants if you only use 2 or 3 chillies in pot of sauce. 

I've experimented with other fruit and veges too. Kiwifruit and Feijoa sauces worked well with a dash of chilli in the mix. Those get really cheap (or free) here when they are in season. So it's more a matter of adapting to what you have. If you can make chutney from it, you can make chilli chutney.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!