iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Change log: 2018

Started by Jeff, February 17, 2018, 04:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Change log: 2018

1. Migration of the Forestry Forum to a brand new bigger badder more powerful up-to-date server.

2. Upgrade of Forestry Forum forum software to latest version. The new server allows us to be able to continue to upgrade and keep up with an ever changing internet.

Begin redesign of the Forestry Forum format to make it responsive and more friendly to all devices. This process continues to be tweaked.

4. Re-installation of the forum mentions system to tag members in posts to alert them to content.

5. A new system that is designed to alert members to new forum content pertaining to them.

Alert options:

• Topic & Posts
  • New Replies in Subscribed Topics
  • New Topics in Subscribed Boards
  • Quotes of Own Posts
  • Liked Posts

• New Personal Messages
  • New Friends
  • Comments in Profile
  • @Mention Received
  • Friend request received
  • Friend request approved
  • Post in wall received
6. A new social profile system that is designed to be make a profile more mobile and user friendly and allow members to interact beyond posts and topic. It allows for an about page, more profile information options that can be searchable, a Facebook type "wall" where you can leave notes, a list of members that have showed interest in your profile as well as other aspects.

Rewrite of my scripting for direct insertion of photos from the coppermine gallery software into the forum posts of the simple machines forum software. Better instructions and the ability to multi insert on the multi-upload page.

Although many complain about our photo posting process I am proud of that one aspect because it is of my design and unique. No one else with the software combination has that function, although I did give it to one of the moderators of Coppermine just lately. Some things should be shared!

7. Added a URL rewrite function. Now when you post a big long link, or even a short one, the forum goes out and validates the link, returns with the title and location of the page, and formats the link automatically for the poster.

8. New related topics function. Lists what the software thinks are related topics to the current topic under the last post. It is sort of fun because you don't know what might show up!

Added new and updated video tutorials on posting a photo to the Forestry Forum. Also new tutorial on the improved quote functions as well as placing a pin on the members map

Oh yea, fixed the members map that was broken in the server and software upgrade.

re-enabled page view counting on the Forestry Forum stats page after a several year hiatus now that we have all the power we need on the server to do so.
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=stats

12. Installed a new post editor and overhauled the photo insert code again to work with it. Photos and smilies now post visually instead of as code. Also note the new button at the end of the menu. You can expand your posting box to include the entire browser window. The new editor is very responsive and works well with mobile devices.

13. Forestry Forum Dictionary, Lumberjack Lingo and the Knowledge Base functions have been restored. You can find these under the extras menu item.

14. ยข  ;D

Modified photo insertion code to try and make it more compatible with all browsers.

16. Forestry Forum Toolbox overhaul. I went through and worked on all of our calculators making them mobile friendly and compatible with our new responsive layout.

17. Added a link to the Forestry Forum toolbox in the mobile "quick links" drop down menu for easy access to the now mobile friendly calculators.

18. Added a new function to profiles that shows the original reason you gave for joining, and a random made up reason for joining, if you have been here longer than since June of 2010 when we started requiring a reason.

19. Added new "Poke" calculators to the toolbox. Poke means, no keyboard entry necessary on a mobile device (unless you have an old flip phone).  Get board feet or weight of logs or lumber in seconds.

There may be more, but all I can think of off the cuff.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Grizzly

So you said you'd become normal for a while at this point instead of being in techie mode. Is it true?
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Jeff

Not quite yet. Still some tweaks to be made. Still some evaluations of changes being made as well.

Grizzly

Oh boy. Here he goes fellows. Off into techie land where we might never get him back!
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Magicman

Thank You Jeff.  There is no way for me or probably most of the members to ever fully realize the effort and mental exhaustion that you have and continue to exert toward making and keeping the Forestry Forum the top tier tool that it is for our information sharing and enjoyment. 

I am proud to be a member of the Forestry Forum Family.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on February 17, 2018, 09:57:01 PM
Thank You Jeff.  There is no way for me or probably most of the members to ever fully realize the effort and mental exhaustion that you have and continue to exert toward making and keeping the Forestry Forum the top tier tool that it is for our information sharing and enjoyment. 

I am proud to be a member of the Forestry Forum Family.

X2 what Magic said. And remember I come from the world of supercomputers. Been there and done that...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Change Log 2018:

I have copied it and put it in a time capsule.
I will open the capsule in 50 years and repost it as a "throw back" to 2018.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Ain't that the truth.  :D :D :D

Ed_K

Quote from: Jeff on February 17, 2018, 04:50:38 PMAlso new tutorial on the improved quote functions
Thank you Jeff, I could never have figured it out.
Ed K

Jeff

Amended the list to include the installation of the new post editor./

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on February 19, 2018, 10:41:11 PM
Amended the list to include the installation of the new post editor./
I don't have a lick of ยข but I'm learning.  ;D

Jeff

Change log list updated.  Dictionary, Lumberjack Lingo and the Knowledge Base functions have been restored after being rendered inoperable by the server change. You can find these under the extras menu button.

Jeff

Modified photo insertion code to try and make it more compatible with all browsers.  If you was having trouble before inserting a photo, try again/

John Mc

i like most of the changes. I'm not really a fan of the URL rewrite (#7). I liked being able to specify how the URL would display in my posts. Also, some of the links come back displaying as "Robot check".
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

You can still do that using the url tags. This was for people that struggle using the tags or have no idea how and never will. This was for links pasted without tags, which 99% are.  This was for those links that are 300 characters long that blow the format of the page for everyone that views it. It is for the admins that have to go back and fix those links when they get a half dozen reports to moderator about it.

That all being said, adding a custom descriptive link is easier than it has ever been for anyone using the link button in the new editor

I can make my link say what I want.

John Mc

Great! when I posted yesterday, the link button wasn't there.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Jeff

It was, but you may have needed a page refresh. It was added the night I installed the new editor.

Jeff

It only took me 16 hours, but I reworked all of our calculators to be responsive and friendly to our new layout here. For the most part, they should be comfortable to use on a mobile device. A couple of the more complex calcs are a bit awkward, but the simple ones work very well. Try em out, let me know how they work for you. :)
ToolBox

@Don P has started working on his calcs as well, and once he is ready, I'll step in and see what I can do about making his mobile friendly as well.  I did work on his indexes and they are ready to roll for mobile.

Jeff

Oops, missed the whack of logs calc. I'll do that after my eyes uncross.

Jeff

17. Added a link to the Forestry Forum toolbox in the mobile "quick links" drop down menu for easy access to the now mobile friendly calculators.

Jeff

I've updated the list in the first post. I was rather proud of number 18, but seems either people do not understand it, or something. For the old timers here (pre june 2010) there are almost 100 different reasons for joining.  Let me go see what one is. 

Let's pick on @chet .

QuoteI have been around the forum since before they required a reason starting April 11th, 2010.
The Forestry Forum has generously generated a random reason for me!

I thought I was entering the Publishers clearing house sweepstakes.

How about @Paul_H ?
QuoteI have been around the forum since before they required a reason starting April 11th, 2010.

I just woke up one day from napping in the woods with a web address and a username and password tatooed on my left butt cheek.
To view more "reasons"  visit member profiles and click on the join reason tab. You will either get the actual reason they gave for joining the Forestry Forum, if done after June 2010, or the fun version if before.

18. Added a new function to profiles that shows the original reason you gave for joining, and a random made up reason for joining, if you have been here longer than since June of 2010 when we started requiring a reason.

19. Added new "Poke" calculators to the toolbox. Poke means, no keyboard entry necessary on a mobile device (unless you have an old flip phone).  Get board feet or weight of logs or lumber in seconds.

thecfarm

I got one that said,doctorb is my hero,or something like that,  I wonder if my insurance will cover him to come stack my wood. :D  There was others,but that one I remember.
Well the grits one too. :D
I have been clicking,I still have about 80 more clicks to go. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

From  @Gary_C  's profile ;D

I found a dead balloon out in my woodlot with a ribbon and a note. The note said, go to forestryforum.com, they know everything!

Gary_C

:D :D  

That message was impossible for me to resist. Actually I got a message from Jeff on another forum to come on over. Been here ever since and don't look back.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!