iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Growing

Started by 21incher, June 28, 2016, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Never had collards before but i grew some this year.  Now what do i do with em?
Praise The Lord

Just Right

Find you a Granny or a Mamaw and have her cook them for you!
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

thecfarm

Put them on the compost pile. :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Thought I would post some pictures of this years garden. Switching over to all raised beds this year and everything is finally started. Just wish that we would get some rain soon. Anybody else have pics of their gardens this year?

<
 <

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

That garden is a masterpiece.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I would, but you brought a gun to a knife fight.  :D   :D
That garden look mighty good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Quote from: WDH on June 17, 2020, 09:16:44 PM
That garden is a masterpiece.
Thanks. Finally getting around to finishing the area up. Our soil is so muddy in the spring that I decided to switch to all beds this year.

Quote from: thecfarm on June 17, 2020, 09:20:43 PM
I would, but you brought a gun to a knife fight.  :D   :D
I got tired of dealing with mud. I bet you have a beautiful assortment of rocks around your garden and should post some pics. Been a crazy spring here and got started real late.

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: thecfarm on June 17, 2020, 09:20:43 PM
I would, but you brought a gun to a knife fight.  :D   :D
Perfect response! :D ;D :) Those gardens are something for a fancy magazine, holy cow. Few can hold a candle to that.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

I sure would not call them DanG things beautiful.  ;D  Best place for them things is up in the bog so I don't have to mow around them.  ;D

The picture below is below the house. That is my land across the road to. Oh yea, can't forget the time it takes to trim around them Dang things too. I say I have a mile of stone walls to trim around. Some walls I own on both sides, so I have to do both sides.

That arbor you see for the grape vines need some attention this year.

WV Sawmiller

I was hoping that was a scuppernong/grape arbor and not a raised Indian burial platform. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

K-Guy

@thecfarm 

Like me I guess you have found out Maine grows rocks better than a lot of other things!!  ;D :o
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

21incher

thecfarm you would be a very rich man with rocks like yours out here. They sell them by the pound for landscaping 😉.

thecfarm

I will give you 10% of all sales.  :D  Than give the FF their share too.
This is old farm land land here. There are stone walls out in the woods. I know of where there was two houses on my land. 

Banjo picker

Blackberries.  

Debs hand holding one.  Natchez thornless.  Muscadines and strawberries in background.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

woodroe

I use to grow a variety of veges but now its just Bodacious Corn and Beefsteak variety Tomatoes. I can grow enough of these to get through the winter and following summer.
Insects, plant it and they will come, Squash bugs ,Cucumber Beetles, Potato Beetles etc can wipe you
out before you eat any. Not fond of chemicals in the garden or hoops and coverings so i give up. I will pick hornworms from the tomato plants though.
Some veges like potatoes ,squash and carrots come fall are <.50 lb. so I stock up on those and cold room cellar them
before winter sets in .
And my Asparagus beds provide about a months worth of fresh greens com mid May - mid June.
Have I said I'm sick of Asparagus already ? Asparagus Omlets, Asparagus pizza, baked, fried ,boiled ,steamed and grilled Asparagus .  
We've got cultivated Blueberries, Apples and planted 5 Hazelnut trees this spring so will have some Filberts down the road a bit. Good crop of Rhubarb too, i like Perennials .
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

thecfarm

I've been using Captain Jacks on my garden for 3-4 years now. It's organic and suppose to be better than some of the stuff to keep the bugs away. I dusted my tomato plants about once every 2 weeks and that kept away the horn worms!!! This does not work on ticks, ants and those squash bugs. Works on the bugs I get.

woodroe

That Bonide captain jack(natural) with spinosad worked real good on Potato bug larvae back when I
grew a crop of Potatoes. If it works good on soft bodied critters then i expect it would work on young Hornworms,
just never tried it on Tomatoes. Heck we never had Hornworms until about 10 years ago.
Thanks for the tip.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

doc henderson

My son installing a sign over our tomatoes.  my wife must of read @thecfarm post.  I think she is trying the "jack" and coke now.  she may try the "captain" later. :D

lots of tomatoes and peppers.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on June 19, 2020, 07:10:08 PM
I've been using Captain Jacks on my garden for 3-4 years now. It's organic and suppose to be better than some of the stuff to keep the bugs away. I dusted my tomato plants about once every 2 weeks and that kept away the horn worms!!! This does not work on ticks, ants and those squash bugs. Works on the bugs I get.

I am going  to try that. I have been using neem oil because  my eggplants are getting eaten up by flea beetles. It worked for about 2 weeks but now the beetles are eating them again  like  I  am putting their favorite gravy on the leaves. Nothing  else is being bothered yet but I know the Japanese beetles are not far off. Thanks for the info.  do you mix it at the 2 ounce per gallon they call for.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

I use the dust only, but saying that I would follow directions.
I forgot when the hornworms came here, I think more like 15 years for me.

Lko67

Went out till  my garden this spring. It's about 200 yards from house thru the woods. Was cleaning up the soil and kicked up a turkey hen in the weeds on a nest of about 15 eggs didnt have the heart to kick her out so I put 3 raised beds at the house. 4 by 8 beds. Had a 60 ft by 60 ft garden before. Always next year lol

mike_belben

Im gonna have to blanch and freeze a bunch of swiss chard today. 

Lost a very vigourous tater plant to a blight or bacterial wilt.  Im hoping i can rescue some baby taters off it.  It got hip high in no time then croaked in a day.

Praise The Lord

21incher

That blight sure happens fast. I lost over 100 tomato plants in 3 days a couple years ago. We plant that rainbow chard now. My wife likes it better then swiss chard for some reason.

Thank You Sponsors!