iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something stupid

Started by thecfarm, November 25, 2017, 07:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

No,did not climb a ladder. Worse.  ::)  I was heading into the woods to cut an old dead stub of a tree. Got about halfway into the woods and realized I forgot my chaps. I had them hanging up in the tractor shed,drying from when I was out in the rain.Did not want to spend the 5 minutes that it would take to go back and get them.   ::)  Ayup,hit my leg with the saw. Nothing bad,I hope. Did not bleed much. I have 2 marks,as wide as a chain about 2 inches long on my left leg below my knee. I was clearing some small fir out of the way to get a good clear path to cut down the stub. I kept on a cutting,when I knew it was not bad. At least I got the stub down.  ;D
And yes,I will keep an eye on it too. I need that leg right where it is.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

What are we going to do with you ??? Glad you are ok, that could have been a LOT worse.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

Brenda all ready told me all that I want to hear. Which I hate to say it,she is right. No reason for it. Take the time to be safe. Most times I do.
I had just got done cutting the small fir,only a foot tall,and the saw chain was barely moving. Lucky. I had let go of the throttle and swung the saw into my leg.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Savannahdan

Hum, what can I say!  I remind myself not to be stupid by pulling up my pants leg and looking at the old scar from a hatchet cut made when I lived in Brewer, Maine, many years ago.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

TKehl

Glad you are OK!

I've got chaps on my Christmas list.  Never worn them before, but been doing more cutting recently.

I've been careful, but careful only goes so far for so long. 

Thanks for sharing.  Hearing from you guys has made at least one skeptic reconsider his ways.   :)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

barbender

You know, I ran saw for years and never gave chaps a second thought. In fact, I didn't know they even existed😊 Now, when I run a saw without them on (I'm still dumb enough to do so sometimes) I'm fine unless I think about it. Just knowing you're vulnerable can keep you from thinking clearly and cause you to do something stupid. Another example, I do OK working on heights, but sometimes I think about how far down it is, and get a bit rubber legged, thereby increasing my chances of falling from said heights😊
Too many irons in the fire

Jesper Jepsen

Well thats one reason that I don't use chaps, I just forget them. I only use safety pants (Stihl X-treem) yes they can be warm to wear but you alway have them on and putting them on if I know I'm going to start the saw up and if not they are fairly comfortable work pants.
The chainsaw is not a tool to take light and even if the chain are moving very slowly it cuts and normal pants and skin aren't much resistance for a chainsaw. It sounds like you got away with a waring this time( except from your wife ;)) and I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself more than mostly your pride( even if that can hurt alot).
Keep safe and remember the chaps

brianJ

I appreciate your truthfulness and the safety reinforcemnt

Stoneyacrefarm

Cfarm.
Sorry to hear about your accident but glad your ok.
I have to say that I haven't cut anything in the last 2 weeks without chaps on.
I never used to wear them.
After seeing some past threads a few weeks ago.
Don't start my saw up without them on.
Like previously mentioned it only takes a second for something bad to happen.
Thanks to all for the constant safety reminders.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Woodcutter_Mo

I've been considering a set of chaps pretty soon. I've had a couple close calls where the chain cut a little gash in my jeans and one time the chain got the end of my boot. Luckily never an injury from the chain so far, but all it takes is one little slip up and things can go bad in a fraction of a second. Thanks for sharing your experience thecfarm, this has me thinking a little more about getting some chaps.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

DDW_OR

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on November 27, 2017, 09:32:14 AM
............ this has me thinking a little more about getting some chaps.

do not "think", DO!!!!!

with that many close calls............ God will only protect you so long
:snowball:

ljmathias

Worst chain saw cut I've had so far (and yes, there's been more than one, and no, don't ask) was when I'd taken my finger off the trigger and was sure it was stopped as I was reaching down to pick up the piece I'd cut off. Let the blade rub against my knee: 12 stiches. Worse yet, I don't even own a pair of chaps and wouldn't know how to put them on if I did. Means I think three times while I do anything with a saw in my hand: once for me, once for the wife and once for the grandkids who I want to see grow up.

LJ
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

sawguy21

Don't wait until you do some serious damage :o. Visit a larger saw dealer or forestry supply and try a pair on, they are a lot cheaper and easier to replace than legs. A lot of the small mom and pop shops don't stock ppe.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

What's the Old Saying,a pair of chaps cost about as much as a co-payment for an emergency room visit.
Probably the chaps are much cheaper now than a co-payment.
Just like insurance,hate to pay it,but nice when you need it.

sablatnic

I use chainsaw trousers - I might forget putting on chaps, but I will not leave the home without trousers. :-)

ZeroJunk

They even keep saw dust out of your pants pockets.

Woodcutter_Mo

Luckily the close calls I've had were all after I had taken my finger off the trigger, except maybe the time I nipped the toe of my boot. Nonetheless a pair of chaps are definitely something I will be buying soon. :)
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

leeroyjd

In addition to chaps/pants, it's a good idea to get in the habit of using the chain brake if you are moving more than a step. Hoping someone can explain this better.

Grizzly

You mean just let your hand bump the brake on when not cutting and release it again when ready to cut? I use that method quite a bit. Very quick and easy and even stops the chain real quick. Just roll your wrist forward.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Stoneyacrefarm

Grizz.
Explained well.
Not a bad idea to have the chain brake on when starting the saw as well.
On a lot of the new saws the blade will want to turn when you first start the saw up.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

Ianab

I've tripped over brush / vines when limbing and carrying a running saw, and one time the saw hit something on the way down and blipped the throttle. Chain brake was on and I was wearing chaps, so no harm done. Could have been different.

So yeah if you aren't 100% sure of your footing, flick the brake on as you walk for sure.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

I use to cut wood for logs and pulp. I use to just push the pulp up into a pile. I had to get on top of the pile to cut it. That chain break got used a lot while doing that. Those fresh cut trees are slippery. Mighty slippery.

trapper

chain brake instead of shutting saw off when taking a few steps. thanks for the idea.  Been getting more careful in my old age and trip easier.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

DDW_OR

Thank You Sponsors!