iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning saws

Started by Timbercruiser, January 29, 2018, 06:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbercruiser

Does anyone have any good ideas for cleaning sap off the saws ? . After limbing lots of softwood the saw gets lots dried on the plastic is there anything to clean good with a???   8)

teakwood

I have used gasoline, WD-40 or Brakecleaner on my saws
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

D2 Cody

Brake Kleen, a red shop towel and a good air hose here
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

realzed

I always used Castrol Super Clean on all of my Stihl saws (I mention that because it did not bother the plastic covers or discolor any of the other parts) verses no experience with other brands..  and it always worked well - but was hard on the hands if you got too much of it on for too long, skin gets dried out and peels in a few days and nails get brittle and crack!
I have found brake clean - just any cheap stuff works just as well, a bit faster and easier to blast stuff off with than the Castrol stuff - so that is what I've too found works best for me now!

David-L

Good Post, I cut a good jag of White Pine in the winter and the pitch even being winter always becomes like epoxy on the jug fins on the intake side. It is important to get that stuff off to keep the jug cool. I use a hacksaw blade, small screwdriver and brakecleen. I find that brakecleen is my go to cleaner for this pine pitch. I believe that this does prolong the saws life. There is a wd-40 product that is non-areosol that is de-greaser from a bike shop that is ok to but need compressed air to blow off the residue. Make them saws last.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

VPI

I used plain WD-40 to get the dealer decal off of my wife's new car.  It should work well if you can chip the big chunks of dried sap off first.
395XP
CS-400
MKIV 56"

HolmenTree

Quote from: realzed on January 29, 2018, 11:26:03 PM
I always used Castrol Super Clean on all of my Stihl saws (I mention that because it did not bother the plastic covers or discolor any of the other parts) verses no experience with other brands..  and it always worked well - but was hard on the hands if you got too much of it on for too long, skin gets dried out and peels in a few days and nails get brittle and crack!
realzed, you gotta wear rubber gloves even for washing dishes hahaha.

I never took the time to clean and polish my saws, maybe it's because I cut spruce and pine 90% of the time. Lost cause.
But now that I'm trying to sell off some saws I need some advice too.
Here's a pic of what I got to clean with.
The sand blaster cabinet I have in the corner I bought 10 years ago and still haven't set it up yet.
I think it's the answer if I can find a certain particulate like maybe walnut shell grit.
When I get it working I'll report the results.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

slider

I use de-greaser ,purple power and the pressure washer. It works.

Like Holdman ,we are in the tree business and our saws get looking ugly in no time.
al glenn

realzed

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 30, 2018, 04:24:34 PM
Quote from: realzed on January 29, 2018, 11:26:03 PM

realzed, you gotta wear rubber gloves even for washing dishes hahaha.
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/21589/20180130_151042.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1517347422[/img]

Well if you get your rubber gloves on as well - you may wish to try some oven cleaner on a small spot or two under the cover as well to make sure it doesn't screw up the plastic or color as it probably will work well too!
Just don't forget to don your apron beforehand!  :) :D

billporterfield

I use Super Clean from Menards, I soak chains, bars ect. Just have to wash with water and dry. Works for me.
Bill

Al_Smith

Well there is this one guy who puts the saw parts in the dish washer .Evidently he waits until his wife is out of town before he does it .You're a braver man than I Gunga Din  :D

Mad Professor

Diesel fuel or kerosene followed up with dish detergent.

Very cheap and very effective

Woodcutter_Mo

I have some 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF that I use as a penetrating oil. Would this work for cleaning saws or could it harm the plastic?

Also, has anyone tried using armor all or some type of car wax to help keep stuff from sticking to the plastic as bad?
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

John Mc

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on February 13, 2018, 08:42:02 AM
I have some 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF that I use as a penetrating oil. Would this work for cleaning saws or could it harm the plastic?

I can confirm that acetone will dissolve some types of plastic, but not all. ABS is one type of plastic that it will dissolve. ABS is commonly used in injection molded plastic parts, but I have no idea if that is what is used on chainsaws.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: John Mc on February 14, 2018, 06:31:52 PM
Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on February 13, 2018, 08:42:02 AM

I can confirm that acetone will dissolve some types of plastic, but not all. ABS is one type of plastic that it will dissolve. ABS is commonly used in injection molded plastic parts, but I have no idea if that is what is used on chainsaws.

I probably best be on the safe side and not use this mix on the saw plastic then. Thanks
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

eat a peach

Around my neck of the woods I buy a cleaner called
Awesome  . It works great on grease , oil, pine pitch . Just about anything. I run a small tree service so our saws get plenty ugly quick. Awesome will fade plastics and paint a little but it only costs 1.00 for about 12oz in a spray bottle and 3.00 for a gallon refill.  You can dilute  it too.  It cleans better than mean green or purple power. I buy it at Dollar General 
Stihl 084 AVE
MS 460
MS 200T
MS290
MS260
HT175 POLESAW
MS250
21O,021,MS170
HUSQVARNA  2101XP
385XP,372XP,272XP,268,266,280S,281XP
288XP,257,261,55,346XP, 242XP,140S,41,350

Thank You Sponsors!