iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow jackets

Started by Dodgy Loner, July 14, 2008, 08:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgy Loner

I was unstacking lumber yesterday, and made the unfortunate discovery that yellow jackets had taken up residence in one of my stacks.  I sprayed the nest with wasp and hornet killer, which kills most stinging insects on the spot.  The yellow jackets really had to be soaked down to do anything, though.  What can I use to kill yellow jackets that won't harm my lumber?  (In other words, I ain't throwing gas on my cherry :D)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

pineywoods

gasoline is about the best, but I understand not wanting to dowse your cherry wood with it.
One trick I have used fairly successfully, especially if the nest is in a hole in the ground .. stick the hose from your shop vac close to the hole, turn it on and just leave it running. This will get the ones coming off the nest and also any that are out foraging when they return. Armadillos will dig out the nest and eat the grubs, don't know if Ga has them yet. (if not, just wait, you will)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ohsoloco

It doesn't have much of a reach, but starting fluid works real well at killing them.  I'd think all of that would evaporate off of the lumber as well. 

Texas Ranger

Old timers used to catch a fish, skin it, hang it over a gallon jug half full of water, yellow jackets eat till they fall off in the water.  Takes a while, but absolutely environmentally safe, except for the fish. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TexasTimbers

Didn't know jackets were health food fanatics Tex. :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: pineywoods on July 14, 2008, 09:10:34 AM
Armadillos will dig out the nest and eat the grubs, don't know if Ga has them yet. (if not, just wait, you will)

We've got armadillos, alright.  It sounds like this may be their only redeeming attribute :D. 
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Tom

Chloradane used to be the answer, but que sera sera! :D

If the nest is under the wood, I would get a powder insecticide, one that is a replacement for Diazinon would work, and spread it around and under the stack.  An insecticide spray containing pyrethrums will knock them down quickly even though it isn't the best at killing them.   Traps may be the best long term deterrent.

If you are feeling brave, or the infestation is small, you can kill them with soapy water. (the same works for bees and wasps)   Put a tablespoon of liquid dish detergent in a pump-up garden sprayer, along with a couple of gallons of water, and spray a stream directed at the nest or accumulation of wasps.   It interferes with their spiracles ability to breath.  You might want to cover up real good though.  It isn't quick and a few may come looking for you.  :D :D

WDH

What about mineral spirits?  That should not harm the wood, but I am not sure if it will terminate the yellow jackets.  You might have to get yourself a bulldog.  I hear that they are good at dispatching yellow jackets ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

Dodgy Loner

7 years in a row, now ;D.  I will probably try the mineral spirits, as it is cheaper and requires less maintainence than a bulldog :D

SPIKER

best thing I found is a weed burner :)  2nd best is a can of BRAKE CLEANER, 3rd is starting fluid.
the bee/wasp killers are down about 8 on my list.. 8)

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

DanG

You DOGS are shameless! :D :D

Two more home remedies:  Set off a roach bomb and poke it into the hole at night.  That'll gettem all!
Dump a bottle of rubbing alchohol down the hole.  That seems to work too. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

And formaldehyde will take the stingers out of'm.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 14, 2008, 01:38:31 PM
And formaldehyde will take the stingers out of'm.  ;D :D

(in my best hillbilly typing)

IF-N it dont kill-em all ya needs to do is get up in dar close when ya ready to croke & save the embalmer some time as they'll go ahead N gives ya all da formaldehyde yas needs fer en ertinity 8) lol

:) :p
mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Slabs

I'm in the yellow jacket belt too.  My solution is locate the entrence of the "burrow" by standing off from the place that you "got bit" to locate the entrance.  Well after dark, approach the hole with a flashlight/headlight and note that there will be one of two "sentries" in the mouth of the hole.  Approach with the excessively rich mixture of Diazanon (or your faviorite concotion) you have previously prepared and a bucket of moist sand.  Toss the Diazanon down the hole and cover with the sand.  After dark is to assure that most of the bugs are in the burrow, the sand seals them and the insecticide in.

I've always had to get bit before I know there's a colony about but I reap vengance when I do.

My solution is when you have a colony out in the open.  If it's under a woodpile, use one of the other methods.

Good luck
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

bd354

[/hi everyone, i'm new here. i live in the Florida panhandle and have lots of yellow jacket
problems also. i watched my neighbor the other day killing them with Dawn dishwashing
liquid in a garden sprayer mixed with only water. had to see it to believe it. he had a lawn chair and a 12 pack of beer sitting at the entrance to the hole and just shot'em down as they came out. of course that trick only works after they settle down some. did two nests
in just a little while and none got up.

beenthere

Does the 12-pack attract them, or just confuse them so they are easier to hit with the Dawn spray?

8) 8) ;D ;D

bd354........Welcome to the forum.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Hey bd354!  There's a whole cluster of us in the Fla Panhandle.  Where ya at? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

bd354

beenthere, thanks for the welcome, the beer was for medicinal purposes, need to replace
those electrolytes when working hard. also helps reduce pain from bites,stings,and unkind
words shouted by the warden.

DanG, i'm  just south of Altha.

DanG

bd, I'm on the phone right now with Woodbowl.  It turns out that you're right between us.  I'm over by Greensboro, and he's at Cottondale. :)

Dodgy Loner

Welcome, bd!  I've heard about using dishwashing soap before, but I haven't yet tried it.  I'll have to give it a shot!

bd354

DanG' only about thirty miles either way for me, we'll hafta get together sometime and
cook a pot of grits. i go through Warwick 3 or 4 times a year but haven't been to the gritsfest yet. my mother lives in middle Georgia and always stop to buy that Striplings sasuage.

bd354

Loner, i haven't tried it either but i sure saw it work that day. i think he mixed it 2 parts water
to one part soap. i will try it next time i tangle with the little heathens.

woodbowl

Howdy bd, welcome to the forum. I've been sawing about 10 miles south of you for the past two weeks. We like to jump in the creek about 5:00 everyday. You got any good swimming holes up your way?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

bck

I had an issue with hornets recently and from advice here I used a can of brake cleaner ( seeing as I didnt have a flame thrower  :D ) as soon as it touched them , down they went. Worked Great. none of them made it farther than 2".   

Thank You Sponsors!