iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home Built Sharpener

Started by GF, April 27, 2004, 11:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

I would like to be able to sharpen my own bandsaw blades for my sawmill, does anyone have any good ideas or photos of sharpeners?    

Jaws

I built a blade sharpener last week and I am not try.
I built a guide and use a radial saw as grinder.
I post 2 pics.

Stan

Hey I've got one of those unused radial arms saws just takin' up space in the shop. Maybe I'll go into competition with the local chain sharpeners, they sure need some.  8) 8) 8) ;D
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

shopteacher

The commerical sharpeners operate with a cam that lifts the grinding head to maintain the tooth profile and tooth spacing. It also allows for grinding the face of the tooth, the back of the tooth, and the hook angle.  
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

GF

I was planning on milling a template that a camshaft is tied to, this would allow the blade to automatically feed using the camshaft and as it feeds it follows the the template that moves the sharpening head, this would allow the entire profile of blade to be sharpened.

shopteacher

GF: I'll try and remember to take a couple pics of my woodmizer sharpener when I get home tonight. That might give you a few ideas.

KILROY

Jaws,

That is a good idea to use a radial arm saw.
If you do not already have one, a guard between you and that stone might be helpful. I have been sharpening blades since 1986 and have had one stone come apart. It happened when the grinder was turned on and was running up to speed. The stone separated and flew out. I was standing to the side and nothing happened except surprised that it happened. Now I always stand to the side when it is turned on. ;D
Good luck.

shopteacher

GL: Here's those pictures.

This is the cam (timberwolf) and tooth pusher. The cam lifts the grinding head and the rod pushes the tooth forward with each revolution.

This is the vise and the end of the tooth pusher

The bearing at the bottom follows the cam

Stan

So what I need then is a sliding miter saw?  ???
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!