iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

want to move planer

Started by xlogger, November 30, 2017, 06:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I have my planer and jointer in my garage and would like to move it to a new carport that I'm going to build. The problem is since I have to keep it near my electric panel for power and don't want to build an enclosed building away from the house I'm going to have two sides open. I've asked Danny how he has his setup and he build a really nice enclosed room for his that I'm not planning on doing. Steve on the forum here has suggested for a long time now that I add a sheet of uhmw to my tables and the boards will slid a lot better. That would rule out rust on the table problem. Anyone here got a setup like I'm talking and found out it just not good. Covering the machines when not in use will not be a problem.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Don P

I'm not saying its a good thing but my 15" lives most of its life under an 8x8 shed roof tacked on the back of the sawshed, 3 sides wide open. Been meaning to fix that since about '95. Right now it is just out of the drip line of an equipment shed at work so we can get room to feed. Previous job it was on the porch for months. It doesn't sit too long between uses and I try to keep it a little on the luby and waxy side but it does have a patina and zero resale.

TKehl

Moving from an insulated to an uninsulated shop (like mine) will speed rust.  I think that matters more than walls.  Walls just keep the blowing precipitation off.  It's the temperature swings and moist air that seem to do the most.

It really doesn't affect performance for me, but does affect resale value.  (All of my machines were well used when I got them.)  If that's not a concern, then you should be fine. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WLC

You have to do what you have to do, but I'd hate to leave my stuff out like that.  The humidity and temp swings will cause them to rust.  That's why I finally put full time heat in my shop.  When I'm not working down there the heat stays just above freezing (35 degrees) so that when I go in and turn up the heat to work everything doesn't get damp from condensation and rust. 
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

low_48

Your plan to put plastic on the bed does not rule out rust on the table. It just makes it so you can't see the rust that will still form on the table. It also doesn't address the rust that will build up on sliding surfaces, threaded adjustment rods, and cutter heads. Don't you get fog and blowing rain in your area? Sounds like a plan to ruin cast iron machinery to me.

YellowHammer

Condensation will bring the rust on.  One cold night, then a warm humid morning, and all the metal surfaces will be covered in condensation like a glass of iced tea outside in the summer.  The rust on the bed will be bad enough, the internal corrosion on the bearings will be worse.  In my barn, I use automotive trouble lights laying in and on the machines to keep them warm and condensation free.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Ljohnsaw

+1 on the trouble light.  I've read (but never instituted) that metal lathes in an unheated area should have an oil cloth covering with a incandescent light for heat underneath them but not contacting the covering (fire danger).  I would think the same for any metal tool.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

xlogger

Well I might have to rethink it now. Have to get a 12 pack and sit there and look again. :)
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

bluthum

what is "a sheet of uhmw' ? Thanks.

TKehl

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Kbeitz

This stuff works for me... Great for table saw tops...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!