iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help regarding Logging Arch

Started by wesdor, May 29, 2007, 10:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

I've been checking out the Future Forestry web site in hopes of finding a log arch that fits my needs.  I am looking for an arch that keeps the entire log off the ground and is less than $2,000. 

The ATV arch fits into my price range and from looking at photos, it seems that logs can ride totally off the ground. 

The photo that got my attention was the first one showing a small Johon Deere tractor pulling a 4 wheeled log arch.  That is pretty much what I'm looking for, but they don't seem to have any information about how to order this configuration.

4 wheeled log arch

I have 45 acres of smaller trees that need to be thinned.  My guess is that most trees will not be more than 12 feet long and weigh not more than 1500 pounds.  I have a John  Deere 4310 to pull the log arch so there should be plenty of weight to balance the logs.

I know they are supporters of the forestry forum and hope someone can fill in the details for me. 

Dan_Shade

they're using 2 arches in conjunction with each other.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

wesdor

I was afraid that was the case.  So round figures - $3,000 for that setup - right?

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

Wesdor,

If you want an arch and do not have access to or know how to weld or design/ build things, then Future Forestry is a "no brainer" The products are well engineered (light to handle but built to do there job) When most homemade items are built they are twice as heavy as they really need to be and crude. The designs you will see from FF are nicely done and time tested. Arches are simple things, I built several of my own and I always strived for them to look and feel (when used) like the FF products. I build and design lots of things, their designs are *DanG good. Good things are really appriciated over time, you will get that sense with their products.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Furby

Wesdor, LogRite is the new owner of Future Forestry and has developed a new arch with the help of Mark Havel. :)
The new one named the "Mark 7" sounds like what you need, and the base price is $1300.
I don't think it is on the Future Forestry website yet. ;)
No need for two arches as one will do for the size logs you are talking about.
Just wrap a chain or strap around the front end of the log if needed to keep it off the ground.
The "Mark 7" has an optional trailer hitch end as well. ;)

Try this thread for more info:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=23479.0

wesdor

Thanks Furby,

Tammy has been in touch with me via e-mail and also suggests the Mark 7.  I plan to add the tongue hitch so I can attach it to my tractor.  At this point I need to talk with her by phone and see how we can work out pricing and hopefully delivery.

I'm not sure how many are out here in the mid-west, but if I get to purchase this one, I'll sure take some photos and anyone will be welcome to come and check it out.

I like your suggestion of adding a chain or strap at the front end if needed, to keep logs off the ground. 

jack

Wesdor,
have you looked at Northern Hydraulics?  they have a tandem axle assembly for sale,  buy the set and have a welder build up a arch.  then you should be able to load the "WALKING BEAM type Axle"   At one of the Lane County OR, logging shows, the company that makes the fire stuff for the POLARIS UTV had a picture of a log arch with the tandem axle setup....  The capacity is some where close to 2000 lbs.
show us a picture of what ya end up with....   Down the road from ME in HOLLISTER CA>  they have a wheeled "Arch" thingy that is used to carry Wide FARM equipment,  i think they are sellin it for $400.00.    IT would carry a 12 foot plus farm impliment........it has chains and a winch (hand) that lifts the tool up and supports it so it can be hauled down the road,  ( like a log arch )
Dirtdoctorjak@aol.com
GRAB life by the Belly fat and give it a twist!!!!!

Went from 5 employees to one, sorry to see a couple of them go.  Simplify life... building a totally solar run home, windmill pumps my water, and logs keep me warm.

Rick Alger

Another option is a home made sled or "scoot."

Tom

If it were me, I'd stand behind a Forum Sponsor until it became a ridiculous comparison.

After the latest rip-off that  Harbor Freight and northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company  made of Log-rite developed tools, I wouldn't support the copiers and their inferior product even once.

DanG

Did Harbor Freight rip them off, too? ???  I hadn't seen that. :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

I might be mistaken.  It was hear-say and I repeated it.

wesdor

Tom,

I understand your feelings and agree.  There has been so much good information on this board that I do want to support a sponsor.

My pockets aren't very deep, but from what I can gather, the Mark 7 log arch is well built and just what I need.  I'm sure I could save a few $$ buying something elsewhere, but I learned long ago that you usually get what you pay for.

Thanks for confirming that I'm on the right track in going to a sponsor.

DanG

You sure won't go wrong by doing business with any of our sponsors.  It has nothing to do with loyalty or appreciation, though.  For some reason, this forum has managed to attract the cream of the crop in sponsors, as well as the general membership.  I don't know of anyplace on the Web, where members and sponsors take so much pride, and put so much helpful effort into their participation.  I also don't know of anyplace where the sponsors participate at the level they do here. ;) :) :) :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

rebocardo

re:logrite quality

I was cutting a dead pine about 28" that snapped off in the middle (about 30 feet high) with no branches. I was cutting and started to make a dutchman by accident (my chain dulled from hitting somthing and I tried forcing it). So, I redid my cut after a new chain. But, even with three hard head wedges stacked, I couldn't get the thing to fall even though it now had a good lean.

It did, after I got the 6 foot logrite peavey into the 8" kerf and pushed up :-) Saved me from walking back to the truck and carrying my hi-lift jack back to the tree. Never would have tried that with my short wood handled one.

aniakhenry

Here is a pic of the new arch that I just built.  I can't imagine a welding shop taking more than 4 hrs to put one of these together if you have the parts and peices all lined up and possibly even cut to length.  I would think that would save you some $$.  I put this together in a couple of afternoons and I had to cut everything and prep for myself.  I am a do-it-yourself kinda guy but even if you don't have the skills you should be able to lay out a design on paper and purchase your metal cut to length and then have a welding put it together for you.  You can than paint it and hook up any drilled or bolted on peices.  Otherwise, I like the looks of those from future forestry.  Here is a look at mine.  I made it work off of a 12 volt 2000 lb winch.  I picked up a 16' spruce log that had a 16" top on it.  I hope to drag some 20' with it.  It has an 8' beam on it so it should haul 16' without draggin them. 

Good Luck...

wesdor

Well, I went ahead today and ordered the Mark 7 arch.

Tammy told me it would take 3-4 weeks before it is shipped.  Once it arrives I'll try to get some photos posted.

We have an annual forestry day at our local county office and they have already asked to borrow it for the August program.

At this point I'm pretty excited and look forward to putting this tool to good use.

LedlieLogs

Congrats Wesdor, I know you will be happy with your new tool. I don't own a FF arch but everyone that does only talks good about them. Looking forward to the pics of that thing. Good job going with the forum sponsor.
Ledlie
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Jeff

Good deal! Tell me how ya like it so I know what to expect. If I get mine first, I'll tell you. ;) :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wesdor

Jeff, I think you have a lot more pull than me. 
Mine has been ordered since June 8, but haven't heard anything yet.  I'm beginning to get anxious, but Tammy told me it would be 3-4 weeks before they would ship it.

Maybe we should start a pool about who will get theirs first.

I have several people that want to come see it when it arrives, so the excitement is building.  Probably not as much as for the iPhone, but to me this is more exciting.

jim blodgett

Hey aniakhenry - that's a great looking homebuilt arch, man.  How did you attach the wheels?  You got brakes on that thing?

ibseeker

After looking at these pictures, I'm wondering why have an arch at all? When I was still doing line work, we would use a detachable tongue that was bolted/chained to the pole top and chainhoist it on a trailer. The trailer supported the weight and the pole was like a long tongue extension. We hauled up to 55' power poles on the freeway with it. It seems like a much cheaper option and you're not trying to suspend the weight of the log on an arch. I think with a well designed trailer and tongue, the whole set-up would be much less expensive.
Am I missing something here?
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Jeff

QuoteAm I missing something here?

Pretty much.  The idea of the arch is not for transporting down the road. Its for the movement of logs to a more accessible spot for proper transport or utilization. The LogRite Arches, or any arch for that matter are or should be designed to facilitate low or zero impact to sensitive areas.

One would compare an arch closer to a skidder or a forwarder then a logtruck.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Most of the better arches allow you to hook and go pretty quick.
Doing what you suggested would be time consuming.

ibseeker

Jeff B and Firby:

I see both of your points and agree. My idea would only be appropriate for specific logs and time consuming as well. I'll have to re-evaluate how I want to skid logs in my forest. I don't know how sensitive the areas are but I can ask someone who will know. I can probably get away with using a portable winch and an improvised skidding sled to minimize the impact. The logging arch with a small tractor would be ideal but first I have to get access and that will require a different approach. Thanks for the clarification.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Thank You Sponsors!