iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First the Forestry

Started by Fla._Deadheader, September 01, 2007, 05:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

We have been busy planting Hardwood trees on our little place.  Fred has a Nursery for starting trees, so, we bought from him. Got advice on how best to plant and what to plant and where.

Had a friends Daughter, that is attending Forestry School come up and give us an idea of what the school says we should do.

Ennyhoo, we've about got-er-done. We have nearly 700 trees planted on a little over 2.5 acres. Got about 100 or so more to finish up, but, the grass and weed growth is about to take us over. Reina's son comes out on weekends from San Jose and works pretty hard with us. He's out weedwhacking as I'm writing this. It's HOT out there in the Sun. It's getting cloudy and should start raining in about an hour or less.

We sprayed strips in the grass and weeds, and burned down the cover. Then, we just took an iron toothed rake and raked a spot about 18" square and dug a hole and planted the trees, with a slight dribble of Fertilizer.

Trees are about 4 average steps apart and rows are about the same.  NOW, we are weedwhacking the odd strips and keeping the areas between the trees, cut back, to eliminate competition.

Her's a couple photos showing the sprayed strips on the far end of our place, that still could use some trees, and a row of plants that have nearly doubled in size since we started planting toward the end of July. Amazing how quick these things are growing.

The trees in the second photo are 22" tall, at twice their original size, at 1 month in the ground  ::) 8) 8)

The Logging part should come along in about 8-9 years on some of these varieties.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

ummm - Harold, you better be ready with for thinnings with the cebo and the acacia in 4 to 5 years. I have Acacia that is 3 years old that is 10 inches DBH.  :o

I am sure you won't mind be a little ahead in your schedule.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

That's OK Fred. I'm hoping to be too old to have to worry about logging them babies.  :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

And who is going to be your victim?!  :o Reina's son?

Fla._Deadheader

I have a Son that will listen to me, and he can cut down any part of his part.

Knows how to run a Chainsaw pretty well, also. Even has 'sperense on a 1 man crosscut saw.  8) 8) 8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Here is a photo I just took of three year old (yes 3 YEAR OLD) Acacia on our finca.

Just about time to thin - maybe one more year.

crtreedude

Here is Acacia after one year.

Fla._Deadheader

Looks good to me, Fred. Which Finca ???

BTW, got any of these on your place ???

Como se llama ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

And, just to see what it looks like when planted.  Acacia is hard enough for flooring - just in case anyone is interested in it.

crtreedude

Those pictures are from the first finca and the third finca. You should hitch a ride with me and see what the finca looks like now a days - I think you would be astounded.

I am sure I have that snake somewhere - and looking at that head, I wouldn't get too chummy with it. Probably some kind of viper.

Dave Shepard

That acacia grows almost as fast as the willows we planted a few years ago. ;D

dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

crtreedude

Yeah - except Willow isn't really a lumber tree - but Acacia is. Imagine a tree that will get big enough to harvest for flooring in 4 years - and makes very pretty flooring. It is harder than teak. Also, other trees planted within it grow better since it is nitrogen fixing. Grows great on slopes so steep you can barely walk up them. Amazing really.

Fla._Deadheader

El es "Mano de Piedra".  Call me when yer taking a quick hop to the farm. I'd like to see it after a year.
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Well now. Looks like Harold has a little piece of earth to tend now. I can't compete with 10" in 3 years. Takes aspen at least 40 to get that big and it isn't hard enough for flooring.  ;D :D Makes ya wonder how a tree growing that fast can support itself. It's growing as fast as lawn grass.  ;)

Working a side hill with over 20 % slope will make a man out of anyone real quick.  I know, I worked 90 acres of one. We covered every square inch with brush saws. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteWe covered every square inch with brush saws.

How many times a year, Donk ??? 

I have a Heart Attack every time I climb the blasted hill.  :o :o  Doesn't EVER get easier  ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

SwampDonkey

Well thing about it is, once I finish one mountain  ::) it's on to the next one.  ;D Now our mountains are just big hills, but anything over 40 % for 30+ meters and I don't touch it.  ;) We are pretty well off for the rest of the season, my next 185 acres are relatively flat.  ;D

Now when ya tackle them mountains, you cut in swaths about 30 m wide and work back and forth along the contours, not up and down the hill. Once in awhile you find natural benches in the ground and get a break away. Blue Bell Mountain was just like a big cow bell. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

That's how I walk up the hills, if they are 20+% slope. Sideways, along the hill, while angling up. Still makes the pump beat like a cheap drum  ::) ;) :)
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on September 01, 2007, 08:37:08 PM

El es "Mano de Piedra".  Call me when yer taking a quick hop to the farm. I'd like to see it after a year.

Sounds like a plan. By the way, we found a lot of very good bamboo on the finca if you are in need for some.

Fla._Deadheader

Typical uses for Bamboo are ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

jim king

This for the comment from Swampdonkey.  It does in fact seem that the trees grow as fast as grass.  Here is a photo from my patio about 3 years ago and one I took this morning .  The tallest  trees are  ficus that that you see in the pot in the corner of your doctors office.

crtreedude

Some of the trees grow faster than grass. For example, by my calculations - Teak on the plantations grow 1/2 inch A DAY - I sure would hate to have grass that grew that fast!

SwampDonkey

Mine seems to.  ;D :D :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

When do you expect to start thinning the Teak, Fred ???  It's about 4.5 years old, right ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

The teak is 4 years and about one month. (the first planting) - I might actually do a little thinning around Febraury if I have to - or I will wait another year (I would prefer) Some of the teak is 8 inches in diameter, much of it 5 to 6 inches. So, another couple of years would be great.

Thank You Sponsors!