iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Removing the lipstick from the pig

Started by Ruffneck, May 07, 2015, 11:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

I'll bet you can't wait to be done with cement for a while !!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ruffneck

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 19, 2016, 06:28:28 AM
I'll bet you can't wait to be done with cement for a while !!
You're absolutely right Sprucebunny!

Quote from: beenthere on February 18, 2016, 11:26:06 PM
You sure made quick time on that concrete removal.. just a few minutes and it was all done.. smiley_thumbsup    ;D

I'm getting to much practice with concrete cutting Beenthere!  :D

Concrete cutting on this project is now complete:
https://youtu.be/MFkpY-BdpZM
:)

mesquite buckeye

At that speed you will be all done in no time. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ruffneck

Seismic upgrade complete. 8)

"Good to hear things are moving along. You can remove the shoring to install your wood framed wall if all of the concrete work is completed. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you.

Anthony Boudon
Structural Designer"

Miller Consulting Engineers, Inc.

sprucebunny

Looks great ! I'll bet you're glad that's done  8) 8)

So... umm... what's next ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I hope the hard part is behind you now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Take a deep breath, hold it, and let it out slowly.  Now breath easily.   :)

Maybe now your videos will not tire me out.   smiley_sweat_drop   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ruffneck

A quick update on the mess going on. The one part I hired out is turning out to be the biggest pain on this job.

I was ready for my contractor to come in and install the retaining wall in April... Many excuses and lies later the wall is still not complete. The Director of Public Works and the head building dude is all up in my grill now.

My time has been spent with attorneys, renewing right of way permits and waiting...

I have sent a certified letter to give my contractor my intent to file a complaint with the contractors' board. This will give him 30 days to remedy the situation...

The contractor stopped by a couple of weeks age to put a gravel footing in. He was going to start stacking blocks without an inspection, so I ordered the inspection. They gave an OK to stack, but I questioned the inspector about the compaction that seems to be lacking. We'll see what they say on the next inspection about that... My contract specifically states compacted 3/4 inch minus, with at least one inch of 1/4 minus screeded on top of that... There is no 1/4 minus...
Are contract also states he will take care of all required permits. I've had to renew the ROW permit twice since I've been ready for him...

He was going to pour concrete last week, without an inspection, I ordered one. It was denied. They would have had him take it all down if he had poured without it...

My attorney advises me to just let him finish and hash it out in the end... Contractor says he'll get the first pour of concrete in next week. I'm sure something will come up ::)

On a bright side, I have logs to mill ;D

Magicman

Oh my.  The contract as I see it is between you and the contractor.  If he fails to abide by/with the permits/inspections you are the one in a pickle.  All that he has to do is walk.  Surely his license has some stipulations about permits, etc. but you are still the one in a mess.  You have worked too hard and long to have a botched job now.

Savannahdan

Are you "pounding" the parapet off?  If so, are you replacing it?  The last "pound" in the video seems to show the chunks being very loose.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Ruffneck

Anything but easy:

https://youtu.be/EQKztvZdtYs?list=PL4041w-KMR6LKrDzHo6Pn8O5Lkhflhw_

Quote from: Savannahdan on October 30, 2016, 07:59:22 AM
Are you "pounding" the parapet off?  If so, are you replacing it?  The last "pound" in the video seems to show the chunks being very loose.

I was just starting the nightmare, chunks were very loose :D

Ruffneck

Today is the day he'll be finished he says. He'll take the remainder of the balance for $4,100 at the end of the day today.
I hired this portion of the project out for two reasons, I didn't want the liability involved with demolition next to my neighbor's wall and wanted a license and bonded contractor because of the risk involved with the retaining wall missing as I made the repairs to the garage.

The contractor started with all the confidence he wouldn't damage the wall: 

At the end of that day this is what it looked like:

He told me that day he would repair that portion of their wall.

I discussed the issue with my brand new neighbors and got them to agree that replacing that portion of their wall with a completely new coat would look nicer and blend in good. My contractor sent them an estimate of $850 to do that and they were agreeable to it.

My contractor told me in our last communication that he doesn't have time to do that job and they're going to have to find another mason.

Oh, and this is what the wall looks like where our walls meet:

Unless he is able to perform some sort of  miracle by the end of today we are going to have a problem with this.

Thanks for listening, it's good for me to write this stuff out before confronting the contractor.  :)

Ruffneck

It took eight months of waiting for this retaining wall and the inspector passed the final today. I can finally move forward with this project. So many lessons learned, especially about working with contractors and contracts.

I fulfilled my part of our contractual agreement today by making payment for the remainder due within one day of project completion. My inspection doesn't count. I need to file a complaint with the CCB now because he is in a breech of contact, in my opinion.

Anyway, it is a huge milestone, I do think the wall will hold. So,  8)

Ruffneck

Hello Friends,

It has be quit some time since I've checked in on this particular project. Lots of irons going in the fire.

Sent my complaint off to the CCB today. Fourteen days before the deadline to file.
Just like any term paper, wait until the very last minute.

Win, lose or draw?

:)

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ruffneck

I just couldn't let him skate by...

Mediation was last week. The contractor showed up and we shook hands. I stated "Thanks for showing up, this is the process available to me and what my legal counsel advised me to do. Our communication was starting to get a little heated and you have the list of my concerns." He appeared to take it in a understanding way.

The mediator showed and I read down my list:

My closing statement was "I feel like I paid a Street of Dreams price and received a slum wall."

That's when the negotiation started. I started at half the cost ($6,000) and he countered with $1,500 and we settled at $2,500 to be paid over the next few months.
Both of us walking away a little bit unsatisfied.

There were many lessons learned on both sides. He owned up to some mistakes that were made and even said he was "sorry I am unhappy with the job."
That made me think there could be hope for him in the future.

At the end of the day, I have an engineered retaining wall with new gas, water and sewer lines installed. Everything else should be downhill from here. :D 

sandhills

Thanks for the update Ruffneck, I have no idea what made me think of this thread earlier today but was going to bump it to see how things were going  :new_year:

Ruffneck

Magicman

Your project has always been fun (for me) to watch.  Your "chick" may need some exercise to help her stiff back.  ;D

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

lxskllr

That was interesting watching you break rocks. I never really thought about how it was done, but I've seen the holes left from historic quarrying, and pondered over them a bit before moving on.

Banjo picker

I have enjoyed your thread.  Sorry you had to go through so much trouble with the contractor to achieve the results you wanted.  It looks like you have prevailed in the end.  Banjo  
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ruffneck

What a road it has been, feel good about the part I had in saving this old house. Sorry for the long delay in updating you all. It has been a heck of a year.

The Completed Oregon City Duplex - YouTube

On to the next one, my forever home "The Love Shack"  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!