iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

any fisherman here?

Started by sandsawmill14, May 01, 2017, 11:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibseeker

Quote from: Briankinley2004 on May 02, 2017, 10:34:30 PM

Went out to the Green Canyon a couple weeks ago. Got 8 yellowfin. Highlight was hooked up on 3 at once and landed them all
Those two are a really nice grade of yellowfin. They've got power! Ripping drag and no quit in those fish. Do they have a processing service at the dock? What port did you fish out of? I'm thinking of trying Ft Walton/Destin area or Venice, La.
I'm hoping to get on them during our 3 day charter off San Diego in August. I recently came off a 2.5 day charter that was a feast or famine trip. I starved! Three big bluefin in the 100# range were caught and that's it. My bait never even got excited. All in all it was still a great trip with the 14 of us having a good time.
Congratulations, it's nice to see someone stocking the freezer with quality fish!
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Briankinley2004

I fish out of Port Fourchon, LA. It is West of Venice. We process our own fish. I can steak out a tuna faster than I can a pine log :D :D :D Venice is a good place to fish out of however you run the risk of fog certain times of year as well as lots of floating logs when river is high like it currently is. Both ports pretty much are accessible to the same play grounds.

submarinesailor

10.89 lb rainbow trout.  My buddy caught this it about a month ago in northern CT.

Briankinley2004

thats a big ole rainbow. out in Alaska they call them steelheads

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

caveman

I took my 12 year old daughter and my niece snapper fishing this evening.  The current was ripping and we could only keep our baits in the strike zone for a few seconds.  I finally hooked a decent mangrove snapper and had him nearly to the boat when a respectable sized barracuda left me with a snapper head.  My daughter hooked up on a snapper within a minute or so and as she was about to lift him over the gunwale, the cuda ate her snapper.  She was in for a fight on light tackle.  The boat was anchored and the outgoing tide was helping the irate barracuda strip the 12 lb. mono off of her Penn 3000 series spinning reel at an alarming rate. 

As she was watching line dwindle on her spool, I pulled the anchor and positioned the boat so that she could gain some line.  After about 35 minutes, she landed a good sized barracuda on 12 mono with a 20 leader on a 1/0 hook.  I could not believe that she actually got this toothy critter to the boat.  She was super excited.

Caveman

Ljohnsaw

That is AWESOME!  Is that that a record fish on that light of tackle?  That would be even cooler to get her name on a record! 8)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

newoodguy78

Good for her, that's one fish I bet she's not gonna forget about anytime soon. 8)

gspren

Wow, way to go girl! Is that cuda longer than the daughter?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

coxy

nice  8)        do you eat them to :-\

caveman

IJohnsaw, I did not check to see if it would have been close to a record and did not even measure the fish.  We let it go after a few pictures.  I doubt it will live as it was completely whipped at the end of the fight but we did drag it beside the boat for a few minutes to get the water going through its gills.  It did eventually swim off.  These big cudas are on most warm water reefs and anywhere fish congregate.  It would not have qualified for a record anyway as I touched the rod for a few seconds to help her keep the line out of the motor's prop.

Coxy, I have never eaten barracuda due to ciguatera poisoning found in some of them.  This toxin causes severe neurological problems.  The small ones found on the grass flats are supposed to be okay but we catch enough other fish that taste good to risk it. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjR7dGjwNbUAhXF7yYKHYomC8sQFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCiguatera&usg=AFQjCNGEO4drNMcUIGZndqDmzrwj_Aj_bA

Several years ago I cut up a barracuda about that size into three or four pieces and used it as cut bait.  Within a few minutes a Jew Fish (Goliath Grouper now) ate the chunk whole.  It was a smallish Jew Fish, about 125-150 lbs. and I was able to pull him up from the wreck we were fishing.  Most of the ones that live at that wreck are too big for me to get to the surface using doubled up 150 lb mono (Bimini Twist) and a 9/0 reel with the drag super tight.
Caveman

DelawhereJoe

I'll be sitting on the beach hiding under an umbrella trying to catch whatever bites, from blues to kings and anything else with fins.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Magicman

Move dat umbrella over a bit 'cause I'll be circling trying to find a spot to land.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

Quote from: caveman on June 24, 2017, 08:56:54 AM
IJohnsaw, I did not check to see if it would have been close to a record and did not even measure the fish.  We let it go after a few pictures.  I doubt it will live as it was completely whipped at the end of the fight but we did drag it beside the boat for a few minutes to get the water going through its gills.  It did eventually swim off.  These big cudas are on most warm water reefs and anywhere fish congregate.  It would not have qualified for a record anyway as I touched the rod for a few seconds to help her keep the line out of the motor's prop.

Coxy, I have never eaten barracuda due to ciguatera poisoning found in some of them.  This toxin causes severe neurological problems.  The small ones found on the grass flats are supposed to be okay but we catch enough other fish that taste good to risk it. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjR7dGjwNbUAhXF7yYKHYomC8sQFggoMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCiguatera&usg=AFQjCNGEO4drNMcUIGZndqDmzrwj_Aj_bA

Several years ago I cut up a barracuda about that size into three or four pieces and used it as cut bait.  Within a few minutes a Jew Fish (Goliath Grouper now) ate the chunk whole.  It was a smallish Jew Fish, about 125-150 lbs. and I was able to pull him up from the wreck we were fishing.  Most of the ones that live at that wreck are too big for me to get to the surface using doubled up 150 lb mono (Bimini Twist) and a 9/0 reel with the drag super tight.
wow thanks for the info   guess I wont eat any fish in less I know it came from my brook or lake wont be eating any more fish from mickey ds or burger slop  :) you just never know  would love to catch a fish bigger than 30lbs 

DelawhereJoe

Well looks like it was only 3 southern kingfish from the surf today, the water was very dirty from the heavy rains we had this morning. It looked like everyone was still fishing for blues using cut bunker and mullet rigs, I used whole frozen squid and was the only one I could see that caught anything. Didn't see any dogfish or skates which was very odd as they will bite when nothing else will.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

fishpharmer

Caveman, good for you taking time to fish with your daughter, from the smile on her face she seems to love it.  When I was youngun, many moons ago, my dad was in the Navy, stationed in Key West, FL.  I fondly remember going on diving excursions with my family and his diving buddies.  They would sometimes spear some massive jewfish.  Most were larger than me (at the time).  Jewfish must be a heck challenge on hook and line.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

caveman

James, I have not made it down to the Keys for several years but the fishing down there is incredible.  Some of my students were catching some big Jew Fish a few years ago using 300 lb mono and an incredibly stout rod with a 9/0 reel.  The way the old timers would catch them was to tie a 1/4" rope to a dock pile and have an inner tube tied between the dock and the hook to serve as a shock absorber to wear the fish down and prevent the 1/4" line from breaking.  They would land them by hand.  Several of these guys worked for the rail road and would catch them off of the rail road trestle at Boca Grande. 

My oldest daughter got one that was about 200 lbs to the boat on 20 lb spinning tackle one night several years ago when I took her, my other daughters and her friend fishing near Egmont Key in Tampa Bay.  That was a lucky catch for sure.

All three girls like to fish but I still try to limit their trips to a few hours and provide action.  I think they all prefer catching to fishing.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

I finally got the boat out this afternoon and Sampson and I went to the local lake for about 4 hours. I had planned to put out some bushhooks but after my wife explained our schedule for the next few days I decided to wait till later in the week or maybe just next week. The granddaughters were upset they could not go today because they are on another trip. They may be able to go at the end of the week.

I caught about 70-80 little bream, mostly green sunfish. I caught most on a 10' crappie pole with a #10 cricket hook and about a half inch piece of nightcrawler for bait. I tried a fly rod with about a #10 cork popper and that worked good too. I guess I caught 20-25 on it then decided to try for some eating size bluegills and I did pick up enough bluegills and even some decent redbellies (Red-ear sunfish) for a good feed for me and the wife. I kept out a dozen and left all the rest tied out in a 5 gallon live bucket I drilled full of 1/4" holes. The ones that survive will go on catfish hooks later this week.

Probably nothing over half a pound but these are probably my favorite eating fish.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

timberking

Been working on the crappie on Lake O Pines.  Fishing brush piles we and put out over the last 7 years.  1/8 oz. jigs with trailer and nibbler tight line.

sawguy21

I finally got out on a mid sized lake on the weekend. The weather turned quite warm, fishing was slow but we caught a few pan size rainbows. And a good sunburn. ;D Leech pattern trolled just below the surface was the most consistent, I went deeper and got a few bumps. Just getting out was reward enough.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

capt dick

Got a good Wahoo and Grouper

caveman

You did not catch either of those in Wisconsin.  Good fish.
Caveman

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WV Sawmiller

I went to our local COE Bluestone Lake yesterday to catch bait and put out catfish lines  (Limblines/Bushhooks). Had to tow a family back to the landing when their big motor quit on them. They probably would have made it back on their trolling motor but I did not want to take a chance of women and small children being stranded out there. Then went and put out about 45-50 lines baited with live bream. Checked my lines on the way home and replaced 8-10 baits and had a 22 lb flathead and a 4 lb channel cat on the lines.

My son and his 2 youngest (9 & 5 y/o) daughters came over this morning to check them with me. We had 10 fish that weighed 45 lbs. Biggest was an 8 lb flathead. Then we let the girls fish for tonight's bait and we had a blast with them. Molly, the 5 y/o caught the most I guess. She'd snatch them out and hit me in the head and get tangled in all our lines and get her float tangled on her 10' crappie pole. When it did she'd yell "Tangle Emergency" and Sean or I would fix it for her. They both

had a good time.

We are in the middle of a may fly hatch and there are billions of them on all the bushes there. As we checked the lines they'd swarm all over the place and Abbie, the 9 y/o, would have a screaming fit. Molly was sitting next to her as calm as could be with dozens of May flies all over her. We caught plenty of bait for tonight and it started to sprinkle so we used that as an excuse to leave although the girls figured fishing in the rain would be fine.

I guess we finished cleaning and filleting today's catch by about 11:00. Have a heaping 5 gallon bucket full which will be about 56 lbs as they pretty consistently yield about 80% of their live weight from my experience.

I'll bait up tonight and take up my lines tomorrow so they won't interfere with weekend lake users.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ljohnsaw

Went out fishing again on Thursday (yesterday).  The pattern has been catch a small fish and then bigger and bigger.  First fish was this 18.5" trout that my buddy, Wayne caught:

The fish took one look at the next and made a long strong run for it!  Then next, and final, 2 he caught were smaller and small.  Pretty slow day.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!