iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preparation or lack there of

Started by nopoint, April 16, 2018, 09:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nopoint

When a guy doesn't really believe that it will snow and doesn't bother to get any wood under cover... especially rediculus when the biggest snow storm of the year hits. Go out after the majority of the snow has fallen and use skid loader to grapple a couple of loads of wood up to the woodshed. Snow is too slippery and deep to get safely through the narrow door so I dump outside. It snows a few more hours, dig just enough snow out to fill boiler. Maybe it will melt.... No such deal, snow slides off roof now wood is encased in concrete like snow. Time for spring! 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trapper

Nopoint is talking about the biggest snow fall this century in april in this area plus freezing rain  and high wind.  30 inches in some areas.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

hedgerow

I learned a long time ago to just go ahead and be ready for what could happen. I have been bit in the rear too many times when I didn't plan ahead. They said we were going to get six to eight inches out of this last storm with a lot of wind we got two and the wind. I had my wood trailer in the shed next to the Garn made filling it nice. It time for this weather to break so we can get some corn in the ground. 

alan gage

Quote from: hedgerow on April 17, 2018, 12:35:54 PM
They said we were going to get six to eight inches out of this last storm with a lot of wind we got two and the wind. I had my wood trailer in the shed next to the Garn made filling it nice. It time for this weather to break so we can get some corn in the ground.
They said we were going to get 5-9" and a lot of wind. We got a lot of wind and 13+". I had enough wood in the house to last through Monday morning. Figured the weather had to warm up after that so I could just bring it in an arm load at a time while the snow melted off. Then they said we're in for another 4-8" starting tonight so yesterday afternoon I went mining through the snow piles to fill up the basement with soggy wood.
Someone said another system coming through this weekend but I refuse to believe it until I see it. It's snowed at least 7" every weekend this April. If I wasn't half way laid up with a screwy hip I'd be more upset about it but if it was sunny and 70 I'd be going crazy because I couldn't do what I wanted.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

thecfarm

Forgot to say,sounds like you are prepared,you got a skid steer. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nopoint

Not really a big deal just annoying. Especially because I always usually have a couple cords in the wood shed. A job that easily could have been done before the storm. I just didn't believe that it was actually going to snow that much.... last year this time I was picking rocks. At least I have not seen any of them in a few days.

r.man

I was supposed to move firewood before the snow but got talked into doing an extra at a job. I thought not a big deal since it is mid April. I was wrong. We have had a major amount of snow, freezing rain, inches of ice pellets and it is now 5 days later and I have been digging out enough per day to get by thinking each day that it has to improve. It finally did improve some today but it will end up being about 8 or 9 days of harsh conditions compared to what it had been.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

dave_dj1

MOVE? 
LOL, we are not in that bad of shape here in the northeast thank god! 

Thank You Sponsors!