iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MAC 3516

Started by gspren, December 19, 2013, 06:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I have been and will be a Stihl guy but a tenant that ran off owing me lots of money left a MAC 3516 chainsaw along with several truckloads of junk. The chain was rusted into the bar but a little blue creeper, a wire brush and 2 pair of pliers I got it loose and with a little cleaning and fresh gas it actually runs pretty good. This is the first saw I ever used that takes the gas in the front and the oil in the back so now I see how people mess up.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

67L36Driver

Open up the muffler and drill the holes larger and more of them.  Those are good triming saws.
Over 40 old magnesium runners.  Plei Trapp Valley Duck!!! Club.

shootingarts

I came by one of these when I bought half of a woodworking shop with my brother. New or very close to it when I bought it and just for grins I muffler modded it. Woke up and kept running stronger and stronger. Was cutting like a banshee when I realized it had an intake air leak and I had adjusted the mix so I was effectively opening up the engine on both ends. Seems it is choked down on both the intake and exhaust sides.

I don't know how long it will last either but spinning that tiny chain it cuts pretty good after I took the rakers down when I sharpened the chain. I'm pleased with it for a light trim saw for as long as it lasts. It won't bother me when it dies, until then it is handy!

Hu

gspren

My first thought was to sell it since I already have a good 16" saw (MS261) but looking at fleabay I'd be lucky to get 35 bucks so I might as well play with it. I've never muffler modded any saw but since I don't have any money in this I guess I'll give it a try. Today I picked up a couple of 5/32 files because my other saws were 3/16 and 7/32, so now I got 4 saws, the start of a collection. :-\

Al_Smith

To tell the truth I've never heard of that model and I'm a Mac collector .

shootingarts

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 21, 2013, 09:11:39 PM

Mine is actually a MacCat 3516 which comes with a 38cc engine. Think it came from a big box, the home shop we bought out had about a fifty-fifty mix of decent to high end stuff and near junk from WalMart, Harbor Fright, or wherever something caught the man's eye. I suspect he scored the saw when it went on sale in the spring, just over a hundred bucks. Only a guess on my part, he was a little deceased when we bought his shop.

Hu

gspren

It's a cheaper home owner model with the low pro chain. Tag on it says made in 1996. I'm sure it sat on the dirt floor in the bottom of the barn for close to 2 years so I was surprised at how easily I got it started. I had more trouble getting the chain free.

67L36Driver

Came with many, many numbers but were only two versions.  With and without antivibe.  2.0 cube, 35cc and 38cc.

I've had six or seven.  Start easy, run fair enuff and oil the bar like the Exxon Valdes.  Our local Payless Cashways sold a pile of 'em back in the day.  I flip 'em for forty bucks.

67L36Driver

I did have a couple with the neck broken off the oil tank.  How that is accomplished is a mystery.

ladylake

Far as I'm concerned stay away, hard to keep in tune and built cheap.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

gspren

Quote from: ladylake on December 22, 2013, 05:01:48 PM

Far as I'm concerned stay away, hard to keep in tune and built cheap.  Steve

This wasn't a case of buying it but rather when the sheriff evicted the tenants from a farm house I rent out the little MAC was left along with about 4 heaping pickups full of trash. I was surprised I got it running and now I'll use it a bit if it stops raining.

Al_Smith

Quote from: shootingarts on December 21, 2013, 09:36:14 PM

I suspect he scored the saw when it went on sale in the spring, just over a hundred bucks. Only a guess on my part, he was a little deceased when we bought his shop.

Hu
I just caught that "a little deceased " never heard it put that way before .

shootingarts

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 24, 2013, 06:22:59 PM
Quote from: shootingarts on December 21, 2013, 09:36:14 PM

I suspect he scored the saw when it went on sale in the spring, just over a hundred bucks. Only a guess on my part, he was a little deceased when we bought his shop.

Hu
I just caught that "a little deceased " never heard it put that way before .

Unfortunately "a little deceased" is kinda like "a little bit pregnant".

Hu

Mowertech

They  are  a  small  saw   

Mowertech

Quote from: gspren on December 22, 2013, 09:24:28 AM

It's a cheaper home owner model with the low pro chain. Tag on it says made in 1996. I'm sure it sat on the dirt floor in the bottom of the barn for close to 2 years so I was surprised at how easily I got it started. I had more trouble getting the chain free.

Yep  they can sit  for  years  and as long as the carb does not  get  tarnish  in  it  it will start with  a  few pulls

Thank You Sponsors!