iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

An Old Sawmill sitting in the Field

Started by Tim/South, January 27, 2009, 12:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim/South

About seven years ago (before we bought the Woodmizer) I noticed a man sawing and stacking/sticking lumber in a small field. He had logs piled up to saw. They looked as though they were cut from the woods on the property.
I went past the site the other day and thought back to when all the sawing and sticking was going on. I slowed down and thought I noticed the saw mill.
I went back and sure enough, there it was, covered and grown up in weeds and brush. All the lumber was there as well. None would be seen from the road unless a person knew to look.
The mill looks like an LT 40, I did not climb the gate to look (yet).

I had ask what the deal was. A neighbor down the road said a lawyer had bought the property and the mill to saw lumber to build a house....in the mountains. We have no mountains.
After sawing all the lumber on weekends, he discovered that having the lumber trucked to where he wanted to build (from Alabama to Tennessee) was cost prohibitive. Plus the home sight had not been cleared and the access road was small.

I have now decided to try and contact the man to see if he wants to sell the mill.

What are some things to look for on a mill that has set idle in the weather (engine covered) for seven years?
What would a person be safe in making an offer for the mill?

I know this is a long shot but stranger things have happened.
I am kind of thinking out loud here.  :)

timberfaller390

Quote from: Tim/South on January 27, 2009, 12:38:59 AM
What are some things to look for on a mill that has set idle in the weather (engine covered) for seven years?
What would a person be safe in making an offer for the mill?
cheap-real cheap
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

metalspinner

Sounds like a complete and thourough rebuild to me. :-\
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WH_Conley

I would start at scrap price or slightly higher. After all, it is just junk setting in the field. As long as the frame on a WM is straight it is rebuildable. If I was in your position, until I heard the motor run, I would figure on replacing the motor, all bearings, rebuild the 12v motors and replace everything that had rubber in or on it. If you get by less than that, then you are on the plus side. It would be a job, but completely doable.
Bill

Tim/South

Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking along the same lines. It would be a project I am not certain I have the time for. I just hate seeing a once nice machine rusting away. It may already be to far gone to make the effort pay off.

Maybe he will tell me to take it home. Then again, the cost involved with getting it back in production mode may be more than I am willing to spend (and remain married).

zopi

Quote from: Tim/South on January 28, 2009, 12:26:38 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I was thinking along the same lines. It would be a project I am not certain I have the time for. I just hate seeing a once nice machine rusting away. It may already be to far gone to make the effort pay off.

Maybe he will tell me to take it home. Then again, the cost involved with getting it back in production mode may be more than I am willing to spend (and remain married).

Pfft...If he says "take it home," and you don't want it..hang on to it and I'll come get the bugger this summer..I need an excuse for a road trip.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Papa1stuff

If you don't want it ,I'll come and get it now! ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

WH_Conley

Sounds like we got a race in the makin. :D :D
Bill

zopi

I'm a gonna lose this one...3500 miles farther away..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DR_Buck

Quote from: zopi on January 28, 2009, 10:35:09 AM
I'm a gonna lose this one...3500 miles farther away..

Last time I looked VA was a lot closer than 3500 miles from GA.   ???
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

ely

either zopi is over seas or he is driving a ford, its always longer distance in a ford.

Jeff

Last place I Zopi mentioned was that he was in Dubai.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ely

i thought it was somplace, just could not remember where.

TexasTimbers

I made a post here some years ago where I was considering buying an LT40 (I think it was a 40) with one hour on it. It was a 1993 model I believe. Whatever the last year was right before WM went to building them with jigs.

The man had bought it new that year and had one single hour on it before he had a stroke, and it sat in his garage with that sole hour on it. This was around 2005 I believe when I first discovered the mill. I tinkered with him over a couple of years or so until I finally gave up, because he wanted essentially a new price for it. WM had told me I would probably have to strat replacing seals etc. frequently.

Many others told me that a mill sitting that long, any machinery sitting that long, is not good. That mill finally sold last year after the man died. The widow had called me and asked if I was interested. I said no but I would help her sell it for her at no charge if she wanted.

She said yes, but before I could get it listed many places a pair of brothers bought it. They paid a nice chunk for it too. They have had nothing but problems with it. I don't know the brothers well, I have met them, but we have a mutual friend. This friend tells me they are real sorry they bought the mill and that they are constantly replacing stuff on it.

Don't know any details other than that. Just be careful buying equipment that has sat a long time. Even one with only one hour on it.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Thank You Sponsors!