iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

home made shingle mill

Started by sawthemlogs, September 10, 2009, 11:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawthemlogs

here are a few pics of me and the shingle mill i made..  if  i am able to get pcs on will try to get some better ones of the mill itself

R.D.

sawthemlogs

R.D.

sgschwend

I did that once with the pics.  The cause was posting the thumbnail instead of the picture.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

sawthemlogs

R.D.

ljmathias

Nice pictures, but not being familiar with how these work, I don't have a clue what you're doing with it or how it works- could you add some explanation for us ignorant folk?  thanks

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

bandmiller2

Around here it called a merry go round shingle mill,I have never used one.I believe you push a chunk through the saw then turn it around.As with all woodworking machinery pay attention to where your fingers are.Oh good job on that mill.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Banjo picker

I don't think an explationation will help me,  :D  i would have to see it work.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

James P.

sawthemlogs, nice looking machine. We want video ;D

sawthemlogs

a video? wow took me 2 weeks to figure out how to get the pics on and still dont know how i did it...... any way where the blocksits on the start positionthere is small frame underneath the block that tilts .you make a cut ,bring block back then just push opposite side down..just alternate after each cut. no need to remove block or turn around,,,it has adjustment ican set for the thickness and taper i want..  the other pic is a1/5 scale ann arbor press imade to bale the spaghetti like shavings. it works pretty good.. i will try to get better pics of the mill  ... if iam lucky a video.. and real lucky get it posted..great forum...people here are even better....thanks guys and gals
R.D.

Banjo picker

hey you might be like me....the first pict. I got up i said i didn't know how i did it....Then reality came calling .....Wildfire had done it for me.. :D   And i still can't get it done with out help...But i got a bunch waiting for when I learn. ;)  I'll be a picture posting nuceance...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Carpenter

Hi, Sawthemlogs.  I know this was posted over a month ago but, I just saw it and wanted to reply.  First of all, good job on the shingle mill.  I saw one run at an antique tractor show not long ago and plan to build one.  I noticed that yours was flat belt driven.  So was the one at the show and I was very impressed with how well the thing ran.  It was so smooth and quiet, of course with a flat belt the power source is a good distance from the machine and you can actually hear the machine run.  I recently purchaced a flat belt driven saw mill and soon would like a shingle mill.  We have an abundant supply of red cedar and I think shingle manufacture would be a good way to use wood that would otherwise go to waste.  Do you need a rip blade for your shingle maker or would a crosscut blade work?  The reason I ask is because I have found several 42" crosscut blades for sale recently but have not found any big rip blades for sale.  Do you have any advice to making one? one or plans for sale?  Would you be interested in building another?

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum, Carpenter!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

D._Frederick

Saw-,
It looks like you copied the shingle mill that American Sawmill Co. made during the twenties, there shingle mill was called the CROWN. It  has the carriage and and dogs to hold the shingle block, and a tilt works to set the taper of the shingle.
My family had bought one after WWI, and used it to cut shingle for two, 40 X 70 barns and was not used after that. I sold it in 1973.

bandmiller2

Welcome Carpenter,yes you will need a ripping tooth configuration.Look in some of the past posts theirs quite a bit on shingle mills.Be advised it will get old fast its a boreing job to make many shingles.Suppose if your patient you could put some hook in a cross cut blade for a horizontal saw.Verticle shingle mills have a tapered blade supported in the center with a collar.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!