iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anybody store lumber in pallet racks?

Started by hackberry jake, May 14, 2015, 08:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I just bought some pallet racks. It seems like the lumber I need is always at the bottom of the stack. I plan on putting them outside and building a roof on top of them to keep rain out.

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WIwoodworker

That's what I use for my dry lumber. I'm running currently with 72' of racking with capability to go to 10' but I'm only using 7' high at the moment.
Peterson 9" WPF

KiwiBro

If "that way" are you cutting out the bracing and tying them back to a wall and/or bracing them any other way? I ask because each piece of lumber may not weigh much but they sure do add up the total weight pretty quick and if that gets a jolt by an idiot on a tractor who wasn't looking where he was going (hey, I'm no multi-tasker), they can cause a fair bit of damage?.
Max characters: 300

hackberry jake

There is 9' of room between the uprights and I normally saw lumber that is 8'8" long so it should just fit. The depth is 42" so that is how wide I will make my bundles.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Ron Wenrich

Seems that the box stores have a pretty good racking system for lumber.  They don't use pallet racks.  I'm just wondering how much weight one of racks will support. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Fedge

I store my lumber on pallet rack. It works great. I wouldn't think that weight would be much of a problem for most users. Most uprights can hold 15-20K lbs and most pairs of beams are rated for about 5K lbs.

Geoff
A smart man knows a lot, a smarter man knows what he doesn't know.

drobertson

if the price is right then go all in,  the weight as mentioned should not be an issue,  we use what seems to be the same for tons of regrind plastic as well as virgin stock, plus metal stamping and the like, so yea, they will work for certain.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

jueston

buying that racking used is usually pretty cheep, i've seen it go at auction for scrap prices. there is also a companies that buy and sell the used racking at a good price.

KiwiBro

Max characters: 300

Thank You Sponsors!