iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

??? Ambrosia beetles???

Started by caveman, February 02, 2014, 05:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

These pictures are of some boards we sawed out of a blown over longleaf pine.  The logs we cut out of the tree had been soaking in my pond for months until we were ready to use the tree for lumber.  The holes in the 3/4" boards are about 1/32" in diameter.  There are no bugs present now.  Would you suspect ambrosia beetles did this when the logs still had bark?  Thanks for sharing your knowledge.  I assume the holes were there when we sawed the boards, but I did not notice them. 
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

Yes, ambrosia beetles.  They infest the tree as it is dying or immediately after it is cut and felled.  As the wood dries, they complete their life cycle and leave.  The black lined hoes are distinctive characteristics of ambrosia beetles, caused by a fungus that they host. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Thank you WDH.  I learned how to identify ambrosia beetle attacks by looking for boring dust at the base of the trees or by the distinctive shape of the beetles themselves. 
Caveman
Caveman

WDH

Sometimes you can hear them chewing away in dying SYP killed by Annosum Root Rot or Southern Pine Beetle. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!